Sign in to follow this  
Andrews

Sky Q Box

Hi all, any updates on being able to use the new sky Q box in the caravan please?

I currently use our sky+HD box with a automatic travel vision flat dish.

Would the new Q box work with my current set up, or should I stick with the sky HD box?

Thank you for any advice.

ANDREW.

As I understand it the SkyQ box receives its signal via the internet rather than via a dish, so I think that you are stuck with your current HD box; the odds on sites having strong enough wifi to allow you to stream is I think unlikely.

• Like 1

As I understand it the SkyQ box receives its signal via the internet rather than via a dish,

No it doesn't.

It does use a different type of LNB though. https://www. satcure. co. uk/tech/SkyQ. htm and needs two feeds to work.

The OP will undoubtedly need to retain the HD box for use with the dish/lnb he has. If it had been a standard $ky dish then an alternative 'hybrid' LNB would work either box type.

As stated above you will need the hybrid LNB, I have Sky q working in my caravan with a standard dish and hybrid lnb

Hi all, any updates on being able to use the new sky Q box in the caravan please?

I currently use our sky+HD box with a automatic travel vision flat dish.

Would the new Q box work with my current set up, or should I stick with the sky HD box?

Thank you for any advice.

ANDREW.

You will need to stick with the Sky HD box for quite awhile. As far as I am aware none of the caravan satellite dishes do the Sky Q LNB and you cannot upgrade the current LNB as I think the control box will probably need to be re-programmed.

I got my sky q working great in the van last week also the mini box in the bedroom. I have purchased a non sky q lnb that fits any 40mm collar from these guys.

http://www. satellitesuperstore. com/skylnb. htm#skyocto

The OP has an automatic system so cannot change the LNB. IMHO Sky Q is a waste of time as you can only watch so much TV in a day. We struggle to watch recorded programs on our Sky+ HD box at present and that can only record two channels at a time.

I am struggling to see what Sky Q can offer that is any better? However each to their own and as long as you can watch that is all that counts. :D

As said it needs a different LNB for Sky Q and how much longer Sky will have a sat system is reducing as last year I was told by Sky they are not making any more new Sat boxes and only refurbishing the old ones .

I would think they will go over to WiFi system like the rest of the competition to compete on price .

Dave

As stated above you will need the hybrid LNB, I have Sky q working in my caravan with a standard dish and hybrid lnb

Hiya, could you share a link to purchase the hybrid LNB. and how easy is sky Q to set up in the van

Hiya, could you share a link to purchase the hybrid LNB. and how easy is sky Q to set up in the van

There's loads on EBay. I've got two new sky q lnb' s for sale if anybody wants to make me an offer??

Graham

The OP has an automatic system so cannot change the LNB. IMHO Sky Q is a waste of time as you can only watch so much TV in a day. We struggle to watch recorded programs on our Sky+ HD box at present and that can only record two channels at a time.

I am struggling to see what Sky Q can offer that is any better? However each to their own and as long as you can watch that is all that counts. :D

UHD man, UHD!

As said it needs a different LNB for Sky Q and how much longer Sky will have a sat system is reducing as last year I was told by Sky they are not making any more new Sat boxes and only refurbishing the old ones .

I would think they will go over to WiFi system like the rest of the competition to compete on price .

Dave

They already announced that 2018 will see the delivery of a 'total' streaming service for Sky Q for those who cannot have/prefer not to have a sat dish.

There is no offering now for new customers other than Sky Q, HD is now an obsolete service, so I suppose your point about refurbishing applies to HD boxes.

Struggle to see how that will help them compete on price though. Can't see them promoting the streaming service cheaper than the sat version!

The cost of maintaining a multi satellite system must be enormous against a broadband broadcaster .

Dave

The cost of maintaining a multi satellite system must be enormous against a broadband broadcaster .

Dave

Agree entirely but we (me!) are already paying for it and they are making a sizeable profit. They would have to be guaranteed that a huge chunk of non-Skyers would transfer to Sky to offset the massive change in infrastructure costs. Any road up - what do we know?

UHD man, UHD!

They already announced that 2018 will see the delivery of a 'total' streaming service for Sky Q for those who cannot have/prefer not to have a sat dish.

There is no offering now for new customers other than Sky Q, HD is now an obsolete service, so I suppose your point about refurbishing applies to HD boxes.

Struggle to see how that will help them compete on price though. Can't see them promoting the streaming service cheaper than the sat version!

Why bother with UHD if your eyesight is not 100%? I see very little difference between STD and HD so doubt if UHD is going to be startling revelation. Besides most of the programs we watch are STD anyway. :)

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 1

Hiya, could you share a link to purchase the hybrid LNB. and how easy is sky Q to set up

www. amazon. co. uk/Sky-Way-Hybrid-LNB-HD/

• Like 1

Will being out in the field make any difference to the sky viewing card and equipment being in a different location? should i be able to just plug it all in find the sat and then view all my subscription channels?

Edited by Dirty Trucker

Will being out in the field make any difference to the sky viewing card and equipment being in a different location? should i be able to just plug it all in find the sat and then view all my subscription channels?

Yeah it will work no problem. If you want catch up etc to work you can connect to the internet via your phone.

• Like 1

Yeah it will work no problem. If you want catch up etc to work you can connect to the internet via your phonI set it up in the garden like i would

I tried it all setup in the garden on my tripod,i managed to get BBC channels but none of the subscription channels. I did have problems with the cable(connector fell off) and i have no SAT finder. So ordered new cable and finder and ill try again

Previously we used stand alone dish with a twin LNB as far north as Scotland with no problem. Also worked fine with all subscriptions channels when we were in France and Spain. Now have the satellite dome so no issues.

• Like 1

Ive talked a good  and cheaper deal with sky . . which includes having sky Q . .. Up to now I have been getting sky with the old hd box and dish out in the wilds of somewhere with my van, just fine . .. how do I use the sky Q with the van. . do I need another/diferent LNB ??

Sky Q is a bit of a hybrid. For use in the home, it requires a fast internet connection and when I spoke with Sky recently they wouldn't upgrade me to Sky Q because of poor internet speeds. Most of the on-demand, catch-up is all Internet streamed.

You should though still be able to watch live TV with a dish, you just won't have all the Sky Q nice bits.

Interesting we were paying £92 per month for all sky including Multi room and HD. We now pay £29 for something like the Variety pack and FULL Sports package! How's that for a discount. We dropped HD, multi-room and movies which took the headline rate to around £50 and then they gave us a 40% discount as Existing customers on an 18 month contract. How wacky is that!!!!!

On 21/12/2017 at 23:55, PandR said:

Sky Q is a bit of a hybrid. For use in the home, it requires a fast internet connection and when I spoke with Sky recently they wouldn't upgrade me to Sky Q because of poor internet speeds. Most of the on-demand, catch-up is all Internet streamed.

You should though still be able to watch live TV with a dish, you just won't have all the Sky Q nice bits.

Interesting we were paying £92 per month for all sky including Multi room and HD. We now pay £29 for something like the Variety pack and FULL Sports package! How's that for a discount. We dropped HD, multi-room and movies which took the headline rate to around £50 and then they gave us a 40% discount as Existing customers on an 18 month contract. How wacky is that!!!!!

I did the same in dropping movies and HD to a variety package a few weeks ago and I was offered a number of offers to come back . I think next year they launch next internet based boxes .

If they go internet based system then I would look elsewhere as I only have them for the caravan .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave