As we are looking for a small lightweight caravan, would you still think it necessary to have a motor mover? Looking for MTPLM of 1100kg or less. I'm still reasonably fit. .. well for now: )

Are motor movers easy to fit?

Thanks

Simon

From what you describe, I would say don't bother until you feel you really need one.

Your car can do most of the pulling and pushing for you.

I cannot park the caravan at home using the car because of insufficient maneuvering space, and because I cannot physically shove the van on my own :(, if neither of those two things applied, I wouldn't bother having one.

• Like 1

We once had a small lightweight van with no mover and it wasn't a problem. If there wasn't room for the car to place it, I pushed it by hand. I only remember one time I was stuck and that was when the pitch was a raised concrete slab surrounded by deep gravel, I couldn't get the van over the raised edge. But some more willing hands and a couple of foot run at it and we managed. Kept one hand on the handbrake though!

I'd say don't worry about it.

It all depends. ..

Who will you have to help you position the van?

Where will you holiday?

How good are you at reversing?

Our last van was about 1300kg. Mostly it was up to me to pitch the van alone as my wife was nearly always dealing with young kids. Even with the two of us we struggled to move it much once off the tarmac. We missed not having a mover most of all on the continent where access to pitches was tighter and shade more important. I'm fairly handy at reversing so we managed. There was a time when extracting the van became almost impossible due to them location of other vans and cars. With a mover it would have been simple and safe, as it was some friendly Dutch helped us out but it was a bit hairy!

We have a mover now and it saves us about 1. 5m on the drive as we can park it nose in. That's the difference between parking a tiny car or a large car behind it without overhang. We also have no worries about getting stuck on a narrow site road or missing out on the perfect pitch!

On the other hand, my sister manages fine without one. They keep their Adria very light and seem to easily put it where they want it by hand. They don't go abroad much and aren't fond of reversing.

It's one of those things where you can definitely manage without but will fond a lot of benefit with!

• Like 1

We tried for a while without one but due to where we store it was a family affair to get the van over.

It depends my 1300kg van is easy to move on flat and level anything else is hardwork. The mover changed all that and now I wouldn't be without it.

Lightweight van and fit I probably wouldn't bother, never had one on my old van. Saying that I wouldn't be without one now on this van!

To answer your questions yes and yes. Like others I wouldn't be without one. I'm pretty good at reversing and very rarely use the mover on site however I couldn't get the van in the drive without one. Also even a light van like you are considering beomes very heavy on grass or a slight slope. As for fitting, I fitted a second hand one (ebay £200) to my mates caravan with no problems took about 3 hours. Very straight forward.

• Like 1

Movers are very useful at times and I've been using one for the last 7 years but I've been caravanning for over 25 years continuously and managed just fine. 'Vans have become heavier and I've grown older are my reasons for getting one.

I'd say see how you get on and then if you think you need one, go for it!

John. :)

I fitted our motor mover to our previous 'van and then removed it and fitted it to our current 'van - it's not a difficult job.

Edited by Leedslad
  • Like 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Managed happily for 25 years, last 11 years van is longer and wider and our road outside is a tad narrow to manoeuvre a caravan about 3 foot or more longer. I need to use one therefore.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We have just had one fitted and have to say it makes life easier, maybe not necessary but useful.

We have a slight raise in to the drive and then a downward slope and jut the 2 of us struggle to push it over the hump so returning the van after fitting was a doodle (and fun having used the mover for the first time).

We got ours used so reasonable price imho.

• Like 1

I managed without one and I'm good enough at reversing the caravan, but considered the what if, if I or anyone who was helping me pushing it up our gravel drive slipped and did them selves a serious mischief what would I do (or on a sites wet grass), how much would the time off work cost, how much would it cost to repair a damaged panel if the pulling and pushing on the grab handle did damage.

Another one to think about is when coupling up to the car, what if when reversing the hitch was hit the plastic bumper on the car ? its very unlike to hit it when using a mover.

I've had one (the same one) for the last 14 years and it such a bonus, much better than all the pulling and pushing we had previously and far superior to our electric winch system.

• Like 2

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Plus you tend to draw an audience when using it on French sites. Actually, that's a drawback unless you like the limelight

At 1100 kgs I'd say you probably don't need one (unless space is extremely limited at storage / home).

Key when reversing is don't worry too much about perfect alignment with the side of the pitch, focus on how far back / forward you are, then if it's not 100% straight inline with the pitch, at 1100 kgs you can easily pull the caravan from the front to one side to straighten up once you've unhitched.

Pushing / pulling the entire caravan forwards / backwards is a different matter, but twisting it is not too hard. I don't have too tight a storage site and I have avoided a motor mover so far with this approach - I'm in my 50's and our caravan is 1650 kgs.

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

Moving a caravan on a paved surface is not too difficult but it can be a very different story on a gravel covered pitch.

As for fitting a motor mover yourself and as you feel the need to ask if they are easy to fit, then in your case the answer if probably no. ;)

Regards Dave

Volvo XC70 AWD & Lunar Clubman SB

http://wandering. me. uk/

If you are on your own, I would advise to get one. If you have a partner, it's debatable.

Pushing a "small" van across soft grass or gravel or up a low kerb is very hard work.

Reversing is fine if you can always do it such that you can see down the side of the van i. e. the off side, but the nearside is totally blind and you have no-one to shout info to you.

All of the above apply to me, so for me a mover is a "must".

Try it without and see how you get on. I understand they are not difficult to fit later on. Just remember that they weigh quite a bit and that comes off your towing allowance.

I was 'fit' until about 3 years ago whilst trying to push our 1800 Kg Buerstner in a muddy field my right knee virtually exploded (I'd already had surgery 4 times on it), following another bout of surgery it has left me with significant problems (I'm only 46).

The first thing I did was get a mover fitted, I got the Truma XT Mover and when we upgraded to the 2000 Kg Tabbert last year the dealer swapped all the parts over from the Buerstner (for free).

An excellent piece of kit, fully automatic engagement (no need for bending down to engage it), it wasn't cheap though, I think I paid €2600 (fitted) but its by far the best bit of kit I've bought in over 20 years of caravanning, absolutely worth every single penny and I will never have another caravan without one no matter what size/weight it is.

If you're a hands on practical type then they are pretty straight forward to fit, the only reason I didn't fit mine is because I was on crutches at the time

Edited by Borussia 1900

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

the only reason I didn't fit mine is because I was on crutches at the time

Lame excuse. I fitted a full exhaust system to the car whilst still on crutches . ................. mind I was younger then ;)

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

the only reason I didn't fit mine is because I was on crutches at the time

Lame excuse. I fitted a full exhaust system to the car whilst still on crutches . ... . .. . .. . .. . .. . . mind I was younger then ;)

My hero!!!

I've been left 30% disabled, my days of crawling about under/in caravans are unfortunately over.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e