Sign in to follow this  
Blowfish

Buccaneer Galera Really Worth The Extra Over Avante 866?

Just curious as to what people's thoughts are on whether they feel the Buccaneer Galera is really worth the extra money over an Elddis Avante 866?

No. The thing to remember here is that its a Family caravan thus its going to have kids in and as careful as you are things still get damaged. I have the Avante 866 and its a fantastic Family van, after its third trip out Ive had to repair bits and bobs. the £10K difference I think I would ban the kids from entering the van :-)

Why does anyone buy the upmarket version of something - because they can or because they want it. Value is in the eye of the beholder/purchaser.

I'd ask the question, why does anyone want to buy a Buccaneer in the first place :unsure: (tin hat on and now taking a low profile :D )

• Like 1

For me yes, the Alde heating (with underfloor heating) is far better than warm air heating. Also the self leveling makes putting on the wheel locks a breeze. I would buy a Buccaneer over the Avante for this alone.

People buy Buccaneers because they can, you could argue the same as why you buya top of the range car when the bottom of the range will do.

• Like 5

having just looked at the specifications for the Galera, the extras do make a difference. but at £10K more i can live without them. ....or can I. .... :D

For me yes, the Alde heating (with underfloor heating) is far better than warm air heating. Also the self leveling makes putting on the wheel locks a breeze. I would buy a Buccaneer over the Avante for this alone.

People buy Buccaneers because they can, you could argue the same as why you buya top of the range car when the bottom of the range will do.

Buccaneer every time for us, it's not always about price, it's about what you prefer IMO

• Like 2

This is one of those questions where the answers could be dictated by whatever the respondents bought.

There is no right or wrong, it all depends on what you need, what you want and also what you're prepared to pay.

Personally I needed an Avante (need is a strong word in this case but the Avante had everything I needed from a caravan), I wanted the Buccaneer (not the Galera) but wasn't prepared to pay for it, until Mrs Davros saw them and then whether I was prepared to pay or not was pretty much irrelevant, I was paying and we were having one!!

To be honest I've never looked back or regretted it (looking at changing to a 2018 soon), it is an excellent caravan with fantastic level of spec and comfort.

Once experienced the under floor heating quickly becomes a must have, also as dogman mentions I don't miss rolling around under the van on wet days trying to place the jack to fit the locks, the additional spec does provide value for money in terms of what these things actually cost to purchase and add to another van, whether their price can be deemed "value" is a whole different question. The big one for me is the 8' width but I think the Avante is also 8' wide now?

Whatever you decide I'm sure you will be happy with your choice, lets face it the Avante isn't exactly low spec or poor design, it is a great van in its own right.

Davros

We had a flat on our first outing with the Buccaneer. Changed to the spare in a jiffy using the self-levelling. Recently while touring, twice we arrived on site during very heavy rain. We uncoupled and levelled the van from the comfort of the car. .. absolutely priceless!

The latest episode involved getting the jockey wheel jammed in front of a paving slab while taking the caravan out of the garden using the movers. I didn't see the JW sink into the soft ground as I was at the back of the caravan and kept on moving it out. The JW shaft bent.

Without the self-levelling it would have been almost impossible to raise the caravan to remove the damaged JW and fit a new one that I just happened to have in the garage (as you've probably guessed, I have been here before :blush: ).

So for me, the extra £10k is well worth it in terms of convenience, not to mention the very cool beeping sound when the self-levelling is in operation. :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 4

I hate the beeping sound!

Ian

I hate the beeping sound!

Ian

Me too!

Yes me too . Should be a recorded voice saying "SELF LEVELLING ACTIVATED" very loudly.

• Like 2

Yes me too . Should be a recorded voice saying "SELF LEVELLING ACTIVATED" very loudly.

That would be brilliant! :D:D

When they had the demo unit on show at the CC National it did not beep and when I asked why not they said it was too annoying!

Ian

also getting the van level with twin axles can be a bit of faffing about. And alot of makers are putting there price up without the extras. just for the heck of it. at least with the buccaneers you get the extras.