I am having problems setting up my satellite dish, I can only find BBC 1 & 2, I have a easy find LNB but I am not fully sure I have set this up correctly, any advice?

Is the dish a Sky dish? If so, it will be set up for the Astra satellite with the correct elevation and skew etc.

If not they need to be set. Do you use a sat finder?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I am having problems setting up my satellite dish, I can only find BBC 1 & 2, I have a easy find LNB but I am not fully sure I have set this up correctly, any advice?

Is this a fixed dish at home or are you trying to set one up on site?

If the latter and you have a Sky box that hasn't been used for a while just leave it on and the channels will appear in due course. Otherwise just try nudging the dish slightly left and right or (more likely) up and down to maximise the signal.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Is the dish a Sky dish? If so, it will be set up for the Astra satellite with the correct elevation and skew etc.

If not they need to be set. Do you use a sat finder?

It's a Maxview dish with a Fastfind LNB, I also used a sat finder only because I have one as well.

Is this a fixed dish at home or are you trying to set one up on site?

If the latter and you have a Sky box that hasn't been used for a while just leave it on and the channels will appear in due course. Otherwise just try nudging the dish slightly left and right or (more likely) up and down to maximise the signal.

I do not have a Sky's box I trying to tune into freesat on a Avtex set.

It's a Maxview dish with a Fastfind LNB, I also used a sat finder only because I have one as well.

I do not have a Sky's box I trying to tune into freesat on a Avtex set.

If it's the first time you've done it using the receiver in the Avtex TV, it probably needs a full auto-tune to pick up all the available channels.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 3

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

If it's the first time you've done it using the receiver in the Avtex TV, it probably needs a full auto-tune to pick up all the available channels.

Surely not if you are using a satellite?

Surely not if you are using a satellite?

Satellite receivers need to be tuned, at least once - if this is the first time the OP's Avtex has used it's inbuilt satellire receiver, then it will need tuning.

Having got the dish lined up correctly, I always retune my Humax at each new site to get the regional versions as the main channels and not have to hunt around in the 900s.

The Avtex in-built satellite system does not regionalise, it just scans all free to air channels. It is best IMO to connect it to your home dish and scan for all available channels. When on site set-up and use the Easyfind built-in to the Avtex, adjust the dish to gain the green light. Job done.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

The Avtex in-built satellite system does not regionalise, it just scans all free to air channels. It is best IMO to connect it to your home dish and scan for all available channels. When on site set-up and use the Easyfind built-in to the Avtex, adjust the dish to gain the green light. Job done.

So which regional news does it give on 101 (BBC1) and 103 (ITV) ?

If I'm up in Scotland or Cornwall, I want the local weather forecast - not London or in my case the West Midlands - nor do I want to remember channel numbers.

If I'm up in Scotland or Cornwall, I want the local weather forecast - not London or in my case the West Midlands - nor do I want to remember channel numbers.

BG, you get all of the regions, but unfortunately the ITV one's have no identity. I have had to view them one by one and then save the into the favourites folder. The latest L188 series Avtex does allow you to select UK channels which takes out all of the irrelevant channels. We were able to view BBC1 Southeast and ITV Meridian when we were on our recent tour of Scotland and the Northeast.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

BG, you get all of the regions, but unfortunately the ITV one's have no identity. I have had to view them one by one and then save the into the favourites folder. The latest L188 series Avtex does allow you to select UK channels which takes out all of the irrelevant channels. We were able to view BBC1 Southeast and ITV Meridian when we were on our recent tour of Scotland and the Northeast.

With Humax Freesat receivers, I just key in the local postcode and do a full retune, takes about 5 mins altogether, and it puts the local regional version in 101 and 103 for BBC1 and ITV - all the regional variations are up in the 8-900 region.

This means that SWMBO simply has to press channel up or channel down to get the full BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Ch4 Ch5 - just as she does at home.

• Like 1

I have an Avtex TV which I tuned at one previous site. It doesn't use postcode as stated above but it finds and stores all the BBC1 regional versions a long way down the list. I think it automatically stores London at 101. However there is a way of 'moving' the stored channels on the Avtex and I moved our region from wherever it was to 101. I think I also moved some other channels around so I had BBC1 to Ch 5 then the HD versions. I don't have the instructions to hand but I'm sure you'll find it. Once done leave it and wherever you set up you have the same list of channels.

I have an Avtex TV which I tuned at one previous site. It doesn't use postcode as stated above but it finds and stores all the BBC1 regional versions a long way down the list. I think it automatically stores London at 101. However there is a way of 'moving' the stored channels on the Avtex and I moved our region from wherever it was to 101. I think I also moved some other channels around so I had BBC1 to Ch 5 then the HD versions. I don't have the instructions to hand but I'm sure you'll find it. Once done leave it and wherever you set up you have the same list of channels.

I wouldn't like that if you travel around from region to region - although not a problem as a once-off for home.

Satellite receivers need to be tuned, at least once - if this is the first time the OP's Avtex has used it's inbuilt satellire receiver, then it will need tuning.

Having got the dish lined up correctly, I always retune my Humax at each new site to get the regional versions as the main channels and not have to hunt around in the 900s.

Why would you need to tune if using a HDMI cable? If using the satellite input, you select the appropriate source and it is all there so no need to tune.

Unfortunately I cannot upload the Avtex manual pdf file for some reason

I wouldn't like that if you travel around from region to region - although not a problem as a once-off for home.

Depends how inportant the regional news is to you wherever you are. Personally I don't often watch the local news when away, and when I do I prefer to watch the home version so it's not an issue.

The local news IS still there however, you just need to make a note of the channel number for wherever you are and tune to that for the news etc IF that's what you want.

• Like 1

Why would you need to tune if using a HDMI cable? If using the satellite input, you select the appropriate source and it is all there so no need to tune.

Unfortunately I cannot upload the Avtex manual pdf file for some reason

If the TV has an in-built Freesat receiver, it won't use an HDMI cable - that's only used with a separate Freesat/Sky receiver.

Depends how inportant the regional news is to you wherever you are. Personally I don't often watch the local news when away, and when I do I prefer to watch the home version so it's not an issue.

The local news IS still there however, you just need to make a note of the channel number for wherever you are and tune to that for the news etc IF that's what you want.

It's more the local weather and travel news than the local news that we want - with the Humax a full retune is simple once the dish alignment is correct - just enter the local postcode, press retune and it does it in a couple of minutes.

For us, it would be too much faffing to work out which regional sub-channel to use to get the local forecast.

It's more the local weather and travel news than the local news that we want - with the Humax a full retune is simple once the dish alignment is correct - just enter the local postcode, press retune and it does it in a couple of minutes.

For us, it would be too much faffing to work out which regional sub-channel to use to get the local forecast.

Unfortunately you don't get that with the Avtex - nor do you get the full Freesat EPG which I also find disapointing. But the local BBC stations are all listed together so it isn't difficult to find. I think they start at about 700 ish. I've found the national weather to be good enough to tell me whether it's likely to rain or not ;) but if I was desparate to see the local version I'd just select the local channel number for that.

Until someone offers a small TV with full Freesat EPG I don't think I'd justify taking my HUMAX box (which isn't 12v) just to watch local progs/weather without selecting the specific channel number.

Edited by Mallah
  • Like 1

If the TV has an in-built Freesat receiver, it won't use an HDMI cable - that's only used with a separate Freesat/Sky receiver.

True, however if they are using the satellite connection on the Avtex TV still no need to retune.

True, however if they are using the satellite connection on the Avtex TV still no need to retune.

Clearly no need to retune an Avtex when changing site as it doesn't have the facility to benefit.

Unfortunately you don't get that with the Avtex - nor do you get the full Freesat EPG which I also find disapointing. But the local BBC stations are all listed together so it isn't difficult to find. I think they start at about 700 ish. I've found the national weather to be good enough to tell me whether it's likely to rain or not ;) but if I was desparate to see the local version I'd just select the local channel number for that.

Until someone offers a small TV with full Freesat EPG I don't think I'd justify taking my HUMAX box (which isn't 12v) just to watch local progs/weather without selecting the specific channel number.

We don't take the Humax "just" to watch local weather - we gave up on DTV so the Humax is our satellite receiver both at home and in the caravan - it's also used as our PVR for both - we always use sites with EHU so 12v operation is of no benefit to us