Tow Bar And Insurance Company.

Rob260173

As the poster was not quoting the insurer verbatim, the words used were their interpretation of what was said to them over the phone, I am sure the actual policy wording is much clearer, but in context again i think that most people would read the post to mean not a DIY fitment.

Doh! Here's the whole 'live chat' message which I took a screen shot of. Make of it what you will.

post-83954-0-03780500-1502899775_thumb.jpg

In my experience, it's the Brokers that charge an Admin Fee rather than the Insurance Companies!

I use a local broker for all my insurances and they don't charge any fees for changes, they also have their own legal team to help and offer advice and again its for free :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Be thankful that they knew what a towbar was. When I first had one fitted in 2012 the person on the other end of the phone had never heard of a towbar. After some time explaining we ended up with them asking whether I was swapping my car for a caravan. Suffice to say I rang back a few times until I could speak to someone in the UK.

I was trying to highlight the inaccuracy of wording in what the insurer is trying to achieve - insurers don't allow policy-holders to read a condition as they want. It would be simple for them to word it as "fitted by the vehicle manufacturer or a garage".

Very few tow bars are factory fitted on the production line as the demand is too low to justify it. Most are installed by a contractor to a manufacturer who will fit tow bars (and many other "factory" options such as fancy exhausts, alloy wheels, sat navs etc) at the port of entry for imports or at a UK distribution compound.

Many dealers now have the PDC carried out 'en bloc' on batches of cars in the same way and a car transporter delivers them ready for sale.

Very few tow bars are factory fitted on the production line as the demand is too low to justify it. Most are installed by a contractor to a manufacturer who will fit tow bars (and many other "factory" options such as fancy exhausts, alloy wheels, sat navs etc) at the port of entry for imports or at a UK distribution compound.

Many dealers now have the PDC carried out 'en bloc' on batches of cars in the same way and a car transporter delivers them ready for sale.

I understand that's how some brands do it - but I dispute the "most" as many factory-fit towbars include a number of other upgrades to cooling, transmissions, etc as well as different rear structural components.

I'm also aware that many dealer groups use large PDI centres - it's a "carp" system as the workforce have no sense of pride or responsibility in their work - that was my experience anyway.

• 1 month later...

No difference in premium when I add a detachable towbar to our quote every year. As for amendment fee, most do.

+1 no difference here either

• 3 years later...

Swinton charges me £39 for adding a towbar; their website says they don't charge for policy amendments made online but for adding the towbar I get a fee of £39....

3 hours ago, Marquitos said:

Swinton charges me £39 for adding a towbar; their website says they don't charge for policy amendments made online but for adding the towbar I get a fee of £39....

Sounds like a rip off to me, I've never been charged for declaring a factory/garage fitted towbar on any of my cars by any of my insurers.

If you pay monthly and amend the policy mid-year incurring a premium increase + fee, the total cost may be amortized over the remaining payments of the year. Come renewal, you have the choice to accept or vote with your feet. I have never paid extra for a tow bar.

59 minutes ago, Townie said:

Sounds like a rip off to me, I've never been charged for declaring a factory/garage fitted towbar on any of my cars by any of my insurers.

And the best part is that I tried different dates using their online service for installing towbar to see if it made any difference and always got quoted £39 so then I went and didn't make any modifications and still get a quote of £39.....when I complained they say they are just brokers that there is nothing to do with them, strange as the policy says "Swinton Insurance" what a waste of time.

As already said, come renewal time, vote with your feet.

Brokers don’t work for free! The end user (you) is going to be paying them one way or the other. Either an “admin fee” or their commission is built in to the premium you pay the insurer.

No such thing as a “free” anything these days. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

You have been ripped off in my opinion. Most companies do not charge and statistically cars that tow have a far better safety record. I would move when the renewal comes up and tell them why. I have never been charged extra and will not go with a company who does that. 

On 15/08/2017 at 17:49, Rael said:

And me . .. you've been ripped off, but you didn't have a lot of choice. Come renewal time however - you do!

:goodpost:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.