Tow Bar And Insurance Company.

Rob260173

Hi, I just informed my insurance company (esure) that I have had a removable tow bar fitted to my car and my insurance has gone up by £7 per month and was charged £26 admin fee. Is this typical or have I been ripped off?

Never had to pay extra for a towbar and I absolutely refuse to use an insurance company that charges an admin fee.

And me . .. you've been ripped off, but you didn't have a lot of choice. Come renewal time however - you do!

When I phoned my insurance people, they just said "thanks for letting us know", and added it to the database, no charge.

John

Even when I've changed my car I've never had to pay an admin fee.

Swinton & Hastings Direct seem to have lists of admin fees as long as your arm, IMO that's just taking the P and I just wouldn't use them

Well, renewal is in 2 months so I think I'll be having a shop about and telling them where to stick their policy.

Hi, I just informed my insurance company (esure) that I have had a removable tow bar fitted to my car and my insurance has gone up by £7 per month and was charged £26 admin fee. Is this typical or have I been ripped off?

It's always been a possibility but in over 30 years it's the first time I've heard of anyone being penalised.

Admin fees are pretty standard aren't they?

No!

Call it admin fee or any other name, many companies now charge for any amendments etc. Rip off - I agree.

We can only vote with our wallet come renewal time, but if we don't tell them why (at renewal time) it will have zero effect.

Esure always charge an admin fee these days. But when I told them I had fitted a towbar they reduced the premium by over £70, so I got just over £50 back after they knocked off the admin fee.

No additional charge for towball with AA Insurance, but I always make sure that I tell my insurer that I have one fitted. All calls are recorded!

A small worry was I used the AA last year too, I was told they 'had made a note of my towball' on my details - but it had apparently 'vanished' at renewal this year. I have raised a complaint and asked them to pull the phone calls - but I'm not holding my breath!

Cheers

Keith

In my experience, it's the Brokers that charge an Admin Fee rather than the Insurance Companies!

Aviva don't charge for amendments if you do it yourself online through "My Aviva" but £20 if you tell them over the phone. . Again, no increase in premium for towbar addition.

You are definitely being ripped off.

Admin fees are pretty standard aren't they?

Yes they are but they are supposed to be reasonable and £25 is not reasonable. As per Martin Lewis;

Q: We changed our car and phoned Saga to transfer our insurance and were charged £25 as an admin fee. Is this standard practice? Beryl, via email.

MSE Tony's A: This is common and can happen when you change your name, car, address, job and more, though they vary by insurer. We've seen fees up to £34.

Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority, says the fees need to be "reasonable" to reflect the work carried out - and we'd argue £25 is NOT reasonable. The admin fee is in addition to a possible rise (or fall) in premium, say, if the new car is classed as higher risk. The good news is we've heard of people haggling these fees down, sometimes to zero, by threatening to leave. See admin fee haggling. While you can try this, don't just threaten to leave, actually check if ditching your policy for a new one can save you (but factor in roughly £50 cancellation fees). Full info in our Cheap Car Insurance guide.

Unfortunately, because so many people do not read the small print before purchase they feel they are being 'ripped off'.

But, is it a 'rip off ' if an insurance broker, agent or company charges an admin fee or increases the premium if the T&Cs include such a charge?

Whether £25 or any amount is considered unreasonable should be taken into account if there is the possibility of amending the policy mid-term.

Edited by beejay

Just to let everyone know about LV=, when I took out my car policy with them earlier this year, I specifically asked them if I needed to tell them that I had a factory-fitted tow bar and they said no. In addition, when I asked them if I needed to tell them that I towed a caravan, they said no, "as long as the tow bar was fitted by a garage".

Just to let everyone know about LV=, when I took out my car policy with them earlier this year, I specifically asked them if I needed to tell them that I had a factory-fitted tow bar and they said no. In addition, when I asked them if I needed to tell them that I towed a caravan, they said no, "as long as the tow bar was fitted by a garage".

So being pedantic - a factory-fit towbar isn't fitted by a garage - it's better than that, fitted by the manufacturer.

So being pedantic - a factory-fit towbar isn't fitted by a garage - it's better than that, fitted by the manufacturer.

Yes I think you are being pedantic, i think that most people would read the post to mean not a DIY fitment.

Yes I think you are being pedantic, i think that most people would read the post to mean not a DIY fitment.

I was trying to highlight the inaccuracy of wording in what the insurer is trying to achieve - insurers don't allow policy-holders to read a condition as they want. It would be simple for them to word it as "fitted by the vehicle manufacturer or a garage".

Edited by Black Grouse

Third party liability for trailer or caravan, if connected to the car, is included as standard with Saga.

No need to tell them you've got a fitted towbar.

I have been with LV for years and on all my tow cars they have been notified and it is listed on the policy with no charge .

Just changed to Admiral a few months ago and again no charge for adding towbar .

Always best to tell them .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I was trying to highlight the inaccuracy of wording in what the insurer is trying to achieve - insurers don't allow policy-holders to read a condition as they want. It would be simple for them to word it as "fitted by the vehicle manufacturer or a garage".

As the poster was not quoting the insurer verbatim, the words used were their interpretation of what was said to them over the phone, I am sure the actual policy wording is much clearer, but in context again i think that most people would read the post to mean not a DIY fitment.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.