Sign in to follow this  
Malc Edge

Really At My Age ?

I stopped dingy sailing about 15 years ago but just lately my mind has drifted back to those days when I sailed every weekend and loved it. I have owned quite a few dingies in my time, a scorpion back in the 70's, a fireball in the 80's and a Topper in the 90's, ending with a Flying fifteen until I gave up sailing. We go to Spain now in the caravan and when I see the small sailing boats in the water, I so wish I could do that. Now the only dingy that would be suitable is a small dingy that would fit on the car roof. We have a newish discovery so I know the extra weight would be ok and a Topper dingy would fit the bill. However I am now 71 years young do you reckon I am just a bit of a dreamer ?? :unsure:

Can they be hired on a day or weekly basis? That would take away the chore of upkeep and transportation

I am just a bit of a dreamer ?? :unsure:

We all dream Malc - but what's wrong with that, especially if it leads to action? Remember that age is just a number. Enjoy every minute of your holidays and create memories for a time when you may no longer be able to venture forth.

Gordon.

• Like 3

In my teens and 20's I was also a regular dinghy sailor. And then in m y 40's at Center Parcs with the children I sailed Toppers. Such great fun so go for it. I am also 71 but don't have the nerve to go on a topper again.

But please do it and post the piccies!

This is me about the age of 19 with my clinker built dinghy at West Wittering - oh happy days!

post-10299-0-48944200-1502780999_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm going sailing on Friday all next week with my mate in his boat on a rally- he's 80 and has been registered partially sighted since birth and neither age nor infirmity has stopped him doing stuff. He can't see to steer but he does all the other stuff on his 22ft boat. His friend is 84 and sails dinghies in the river Crouch and I know lots of others who are well into their 80's who own small boats, dinghies and large boats.

At 70 I'll probably be the youngest on this rally.

IMO you do what you want and what you can and if you can't do something that you wnt to do, get someone else to help you - go for it.

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 4

They say you're as old as you feel. I used with sail it's the kids a Mirror dinghy, we had lots of fun, we belonged to our works sailing club & sailed in races every Wednesday after work & sometime Sunday's. Took it to Scotland on the roof of the car with the caravan behind, wonderful time on the lochs. I guess going about could be tricky if you're a bit stiff but if you're fit shouldn't be to bad. Why not hire one for a day & see how you get on.

Let us all know how you get on & some photos of you hanging out there!

• Like 1

My avatar says it all, " We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" ! Go for it Malc Edge

• Like 2

I'm not quite 65 and plagued with arthritis. There is a chap up the road from me who is turned 85. See him out regularly on his racing cycle and usually for several hours. He goes past most days. We live on a hill and I have noticed that this year he does occasionally walk up the hill. Not very often though.

• Like 1

We are here for a good time not a long time, treat every new day as if it's your last because one day it will be.

Go for it and do whatever makes you happy :)

Had to copy this sentiment. .
  • Like 1

This is me about the age of 19 with my clinker built dinghy at West Wittering - oh happy days!

That's uncanny! Do you have a twin you would like to tell us about?

Twins.jpg

The colour picture is of my friend Trevor taken when we were teenagers

Gordon

• Like 1

. However I am now 71 years young do you reckon I am just a bit of a dreamer ?? :unsure:

Being 71 is so long ago that I forget what it was like, but if you feel up to it, then do it. As Gordon says, age is just a number. But then - as I do appreciate, reasonable health is a useful ingredient. . My 71st year coincides with our busiest caravanning period. Southern Italy during the summer; southern Spain in the winter, plus a couple of trips to the Lake District.

As a newly joined member of the Caravan Club back in the '60s I was amazed by the adventures published in En Route (the Club magazine) by the member who drove his Triumph 2000 Estate car and caravan to Greece every year with his dingy on the roof of the car. Then, not only was it a difficult region to travel to, but the member was a retired clergyman who was in his late eighties. So if you feel like doing it Malc, then go for it.

At 87, I spent yesterday driving 90 miles up into Oxfordshire to collect 150 brand new roof tiles. Well - for six quid on ebay, who could resist. My daughters don't know about my current project yet. .. :ph34r:

• Like 4

No reason at all not too. As I say to SWIMBO I don't want to be lying on my death bed and say 'I wish I had done. ....'

I have a suggestion, check out the Southampton boat show in September, as well as yachts and mega 'Gin palaces' they have a great selection of boats that fit all purposes. Last year there was a boat that could be carried on the roof, could be sailed or pedalled or take an engine. It's great, very interesting and very, very, friendly. It's worth checking out but if you don't want to bring a boat back be sure to leave your plastic at home!

Enjoy your sailing!

• Like 1

Just hire one and see how you get on.

Plenty of relatively safe sailing on the Mar Menor.

When I'm in Spain, you could hoist me aboard after my dive, but I'd prefer Cabo de Palos. :D

https://www. google. co. uk/maps/@37. 7144051,-0. 7795371,12z

Edited by wigandiver
  • Like 1

Just hire one and see how you get on.

:goodpost: Yes, hire one and give it a go and if it works for you then go for it.

John. :)

• Like 1

After sailing on the Broads for 20 years (mainly River Cruisers 28' +) , last year (@ 63) got myself involved with a 'learn to sail' course. ...on Toppers. ...

Some of the best fun in years, although for me at 6'+ the gap between deck and boom is sufficiently small that I'd choose something a little bigger next time!

If you're sufficiently agile to manage such a small tippy craft, go for it. ....the best fun you can have with your clothes on. ... :)

Edited by Coriolis

No reason at all not too. As I say to SWIMBO I don't want to be lying on my death bed and say 'I wish I had done. . . .. '

I have a suggestion, check out the Southampton boat show in September, as well as yachts and mega 'Gin palaces' they have a great selection of boats that fit all purposes. Last year there was a boat that could be carried on the roof, could be sailed or pedalled or take an engine. It's great, very interesting and very, very, friendly. It's worth checking out but if you don't want to bring a boat back be sure to leave your plastic at home!

Enjoy your sailing!

Thing is I actually have a topper lined up right price although about 250 round trip to collect. This has been keeping me awake at night :unsure:

Can they be hired on a day or weekly basis? That would take away the chore of upkeep and transportation

Yes this is the other option. I have looked at where I can do this in Spain and there are places but they are mostly RYA courses and I do not need learn to sail. There must be places to hire but at what price ? a Topper is for sale at £250. 00 and I can choose when and more or less where to sail. Decisions decisions !!

• Like 1

I have spent a large part of my life sailing the world in my own boat. Now in my 80s I walk around marina,s & still

long for a boat to go sailing in.(I don. t do dinghies ) My wife pulls me away before I can do anything silly like buying

one. The urge to go sailing never leaves you no matter how old you are,me having the big C does,nt help but I still

yearn for it. I did a short trip from chichester to brighton last sunday with my son on his boat,it was lovely but showed

me how useless I am on a boat nowadays I still have wonderful memories though of past escapades.

My advice would be if you can still physically do it do so. :D:D

• Like 1

If you're still fit enough, do it! Better to regret what you did, than regret what you didn't do. Some day you will be too old; if you haven't done it by then you'll have missed your chance.

• Like 1

? a Topper is for sale at £250. 00 and I can choose when and more or less where to sail. Decisions decisions !!

One for £200 on eBay at Chipping Norton so can't be far from you.

• Like 1

Amen to all the 'go for it' urgings. ... I just sold my boat and boatlessly visiting a local regatta I've enjoyed for years was really quite painful. ....it's ok most of the time but put me next to the river and I wanna go. ....

My choice to sell, to make room for more things (like caravanning!) but not sure how long I'll last before I get (or build) another. ....SWMBO permitting, of course :)

Edited by Coriolis
  • Like 1

Go for it and show them whipper snappers what a roll jibe really is. Seriously at 70 having just returned to a quite physically hard hobby after a lay off of 25 years I surprised myself how I had of it is still burned into the brain. The weight is falling off me and SWMBO doesn't frown so much if I reach for a 2nd glass.

Win win. (Silly game time. Who can guess the sport. The clue is in the text of this post)

• Like 2

Roll gybe has to be sailing. .....the art of racing the slowest form of transport known to man. .... :)

Envy's not pretty so I'll hide it best I can :)

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Roll gybe has to be sailing. . . .. . the art of racing the slowest form of transport known to man. . . .. :)

Envy's not pretty so I'll hide it best I can :)

Enjoy!

Nope. Sorry dry land sport this time. Last time I sailed a topper it was more of a submarine. Any wet stuff these days would have to be 36 ft with a jug of pimms to keep the skipper happy.

• Like 1

So Malc Edge did you buy that Topper!!? :)

Sign in to follow this