Towing Course?

Poppymay

Usually find i settle down once cruising on the motorway and am fine after that :)

I wish I got as far as the motorway! ;) I start thinking about what could go wrong (lorry speeding past causing the caravan to wobble out of control, gusts of wind causing the caravan to topple over, someone cutting me up forcing me to slam on the breaks with disastrous consequences, breaks failing for some reason. ...... :blink: ), and ask my husband to take over. :angry:

I wish I got as far as the motorway! ;) I start thinking about what could go wrong (lorry speeding past causing the caravan to wobble out of control, gusts of wind causing the caravan to topple over, someone cutting me up forcing me to slam on the breaks with disastrous consequences, breaks failing for some reason. . . .. . . :blink: ), and ask my husband to take over. :angry:

Perhaps some people are simply not suitable or able to tow up to couple tons on today's very busy roads,no offence meant,but if you think about it,it is a hell of a responsibility.

I wish I got as far as the motorway! ;) I start thinking about what could go wrong (lorry speeding past causing the caravan to wobble out of control, gusts of wind causing the caravan to topple over, someone cutting me up forcing me to slam on the breaks with disastrous consequences, breaks failing for some reason. . . .. . . :blink: ), and ask my husband to take over. :angry:

I find the motorway far more relaxing. Less stopping and starting, less things that might pull out on you, less turning, no junctions or roundabouts and keep a nice steady speed using cruse control. If you are looking far enough up the road you can avoid having to brake hard 99. 9% because you can see most things happening on the motorway a long way off and plan for them. If you are doing the correct speed then lorries should not be over taking you and if you do start getting a bit of a wobble you just ease off and it straightens itself out. Much nicer cruising on the motorway than navigating smaller roads.

I find the motorway far more relaxing. Less stopping and starting, less things that might pull out on you, less turning, no junctions or roundabouts and keep a nice steady speed using cruse control. If you are looking far enough up the road you can avoid having to brake hard 99. 9% because you can see most things happening on the motorway a long way off and plan for them. If you are doing the correct speed then lorries should not be over taking you and if you do start getting a bit of a wobble you just ease off and it straightens itself out. Much nicer cruising on the motorway than navigating smaller roads.

Good points, thank you!

Perhaps some people are simply not suitable or able to tow up to couple tons on today's very busy roads,no offence meant,but if you think about it,it is a hell of a responsibility.

It is, true, but I think I am sure I get used to it.

I occasionally wake up and wonder why the white van behind me is following so close.

:goodpost:

I'm worse when the OH is towing!!!. . . . I'm glad he's not on here!. I have invisible brakes in the passenger footwell, heheheh

I find the only real issue on motorways is the solo driver who cruises right up to the back of your unit completely unseen. You're tootling along in lane one approaching a slow moving vehicle, you check your drivers side mirror - all clear, then just as you indicate to pull out to overtake solo chummy appears from nowhere !

I find the only real issue on motorways is the solo driver who cruises right up to the back of your unit completely unseen. You're tootling along in lane one approaching a slow moving vehicle, you check your drivers side mirror - all clear, then just as you indicate to pull out to overtake solo chummy appears from nowhere !

Even worse is the solo driver in the centre lane doing 45 mph. illegal to pass him on the inside, illegal to pass him on the outside,

and there he is, mirror blind, and totally unaware of the 4. 5 tons of car & van behind him. you need the patience of a saint.

Where I did my B+E training they were taking a lady out for 2 hours towing training as she wanted to buy a caravan.

Most Driver Training schools will do the same.

was coming up from Dublin to Belfast on the Motorway and a northern (UK) plated caravan was swaying gently behind a car doing. ......65mph. The legal towing limit in ROI - 50MPH. when I pulled along side the driver was as relaxed as while his car and van swayed behind him as he was speeding 15mph over the limit in the country he was driving in and 5MPH more than is legal here. Full car of 5. car to small for the van and the angle both were at seemed in indicate a van badly loaded with a VV heavy nose weight. Oh and no tow mirrors.