Budgeting For A Big Trip

Just starting to think about a big trip or two over to France for 8-10 weeks, in particular how much it would cost.

There are obvious costs like diesel, ferry / tunnel, site pitch fees and so on which are relatively easily calculated. Food-wise I'll factor in a little extra but we'd need to eat anyway.

So for those that have done these type of trips, what does the average budget look like? What do you allow for what? What type of cost is Red Pennant for that sort of trip? What are the hidden costs that you wouldn't encounter on a 2-3 week normal holiday etc?

Any help / advice / experience appreciated.

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

More info is required, where are you going, how far, mpg of car, age for Red Pennant, Tunnel or Ferry, are you using Autoroutes, do you have Sanef, what type of sites do you like, have you ACSI, I could go on. You are asking fellow forum members to take a huge guess at your requirements, more information is required

Les

It's really 'how long is a piece of string'. You can spend as much, or as little as you like once you've costed ferry, insurance, fuel and 'travel costs'. You can get quotes for all these on line - and they will give you a more realistic idea of YOUR costs. My ferry was £50 one way - others travelling to Spain may spend £1200 or more. Our breakdown insurance costs £100 per year for unlimited trips and our 'Travel Insurance' costs about the same. Others may take out Red Pennant at four or five times the cost, and have health issues which make their insurance much more costly. Huge amounts can be saved if you don't use toll roads, small savings can be made if you fill up in supermarkets. Even then fuel costs are variable - our Mondeo does really good mpg even when towing, another couples car may do half the mpg we get. If you go in peak season, on a five star site you'll need a big wallet - perhaps up to £60 or £70 per night. If you go out of season and stay on smaller and cheaper sites then you won't spend as much - as little as £8 per night. We manage long 'holidays' - but for us it's more about living in another place and our expenses are not very much more than they would be if we were at home. We've been here since the end of June, and this stay has included some stays on campsites for an average of £9 per night (cheap Camping Cheques/ACSI Card/long stay deals) and this includes electricity which we're not paying for at home. Our food costs are broadly similar to what they might be at home - because we eat a lot more salads and make meat go a lot further. We drink cheaper wine and beer, and eat out when we find somewhere that offers good value for money. So, as Les Medes says, give us a bit more information and we'll be able to offer a bit more advice.

However, I do think that two couples, having exactly the same holiday, may spend very different amounts of money even whilst staying on the same site! One couple may barbecue two steaks, sausages, and pieces of chicken, and drink a £30 bottle of wine, the other will make one steak do several meals - stir fry, stroganoff, etc, and drink 95 cents bottles of red and white wine similar to that which we bought in Spain earlier this week. One couple may eat out at the restaurant down the road which does a three course 'Menu' for 9 euros 80 cents, including wine, the other may drive to the Michelin star place in the country and spend ten times that amount each on a meal, and the same again for a bottle of wine.

So, how long's your piece of string. ..................! If you give us more idea of your ideal holiday and your 'circumstances' we may be able to offer more helpful suggestions.

• Like 4

I find that part of the excitement of going abroad is working out routes, touring sites, and how long for, for

my own information. No one can give you that type of information really, as each person has different ideas

and needs for their holiday.

ValA has put it in a nutshell.

Edited by gravon42
  • Like 1

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

We live in Sheffield and have been to south Brittany on the Querberon peninsular for the last 5 years. The main cost for us is the ferry - usual route is Portsmouth Caen via the overnight by Brittany Ferries. This costs us £6-700 in July. Expensive but it divides our journey in half each side of the channel (circa 220miles each side @55mph) with the advantage of an overnight sleep and being refreshed for the onward journey - very important I think! When we first looked the price was circa £1K, however if you join Club Voyage then there is a 30% discount and you still save money in year 1 even after paying a joining fee and membership. This year we went out via Portsmouth St Malo so got a longer sleep. Day crossings are cheaper but that just doesn't work for me and I used to work shifts (there appear to only be day crossings back from St Malo)! Like all travel the price depends upon day of week and time of day.

We have only stayed at Les Sables Blanc (right on the end of the sandy peninsula) which is a basic municipal site with genuine french loos!. It cost E438 for 15 nights, with awning "mains" water and electric.

You will find some food costs more over there especially meat. Wine is cheap, but the temptation is to drink more.
Avez vous bon vacances :)

Aside from the obvious items such as ferries, insurance and road tolls I would suggest that your costs are likely to be the same as or less than the equivalent trip in the UK.

Camp site fees will depend on the time of year, but outside July and August they should be less than at home, especially with ACSI. Buying food can be more or less expensive depending on what you buy and where. Eating out at lunchtime can be, as Val said, very inexpensive. Evening meals generally cost a fair bit more than lunch but probably on a par with the equivalent in the UK. Parking fuel and admission fees will likely be less.

As others have said, when are you going and how do you plan to spend your time?

Suffolk Coast, Bailey U3 Vigo, Hyundai Tucson Premium SE 2. 0

Don't worry about it ! Decide your route, go for it, spend what you feel is right for you and, if you must, total it up when you return. Then decide if that was good value for money and if you want to do it again - think I would guarantee you will think it is and will want to. Have fun.

• Like 1

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

We go for 45 days in May using the CAMC for ferry booking and Red Pennant insurance. While there we use toll roads for towing to sites, ACSI, only have the occasional lunch out and mainly view the countryside rather than paying much in the way of entrance fees to places. Next year will cost quite a bit more as we bought euros at a good rate for our last four holidays.

2017 Alps and Lake Annecy £2869 Dover Calais ferry

2016 Somme and Burgundy £2262 Dover Calais ferry

2016 Dordogne and Lot £2063 Portsmouth Caen ferry

2015 Provence and Languedoc £2801 Dover Calais ferry.

As has been said your holidays may be completely different to ours so the costs won't be the same but as you asked. .....

• Like 1

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

I think this is very interesting, because we're all such different creatures. One of the posts above talks of a site at around 30 a night which, for me, is about twice what I would want to spend. My brother, however, is happy to spend 50, 60 or more. Each to their own; life would be immeasurably dull if it was any other way.

Just starting to think about a big trip or two over to France for 8-10 weeks, in particular how much it would cost.

There are obvious costs like diesel, ferry / tunnel, site pitch fees and so on which are relatively easily calculated. Food-wise I'll factor in a little extra but we'd need to eat anyway.

So for those that have done these type of trips, what does the average budget look like? What do you allow for what? What type of cost is Red Pennant for that sort of trip? What are the hidden costs that you wouldn't encounter on a 2-3 week normal holiday etc?

Any help / advice / experience appreciated.

Dogs may cost a bit at the vet both ways and possibly extra site fees.

Travel insurance is usually priced for a well person and not more than 30 days, but if you are not fit and/ or going for longer than 30 days (this is door to door by the way) then the cost can escalate considerably. The only way to find out is to get a quote for you and partner.

House insurance may have restrictions which can be amended at a cost. Check the details in your policy and speak to your insurer.

Car insurance may include some breakdown cover but if you are going for longer that usually 30 days, there can be some extra cost. Check with your insurer.

Post diversion can be expensive depending on what (if anything) you need. Royal Mail web site shows what's available and the cost.

You need to have access to Euro cash, more than a normal holiday. Check with your bank to see how to avoid extra commission or cash withdrawal fees.

You need to insure your driving licence, tax, mot, etc will not coincide with your travel, especially as the Euroland police can now access you and your car formalities. Get that wrong and it can ruin your holiday and cost a bomb, so avoid it.

There are other costs but you asked for the EXTRA costs associated with LONGER trips.

• Like 1

Ern

Well, as a rule of thumb our trips cost between 75 and 85 pounds a night. That's based upon logging all costs for a number of 1 month plus travels.

It's remarkable how little variation there is.

• Like 4

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

42 nights in Europe in May/June this year, Dover/Calais ferry, Red Pennant full monty, towcar doing 20mpg for 3000 miles, ACSI where possible, motorways where possible, eat out once a week, and a few local attractions, cost £80 per night.

The poor euro exchange rate hurt somewhat this year, but we will go to Spain for longer next year because it's cheaper.

• Like 2

Land Rover having a rest.

We have been doing it so long now we really don't bother to take much notice of costs. Our crossing is, in the main, paid for using Tesco Club Card points. We always use Red Pennant so we know how much that costs as it hardly varies from year to year. Campsites are always cheaper than in the UK so we tend to ignore those. Food is similar in terms of price although the wine and beer are cheaper. I tend to be more concerned when we go on another type of holiday, like a cruise, as we have less experience.

David

• Like 1

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I think cruises are even easier. 100 USD per day per person outside cabin but nothing too posh and fully inclusive. ..

That's what you should be paying. On a cruise from the UK then the typical exchange rate to USD would be 1:1

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Our recent 7 and a half week trip came in at just under £3000, which included ferry, red pennant, sites(ACSI) fuel, toll fees, and eating out once a week.

About the same cost each year!

About the same amount as I would spend at home over the same period.

• Like 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Must be doing something wrong. ..our 4week holidays over last 5 years have never been below £3000.

Admittedly, some took us to S. Italy and Slovenia. ..so fuel costs were high.

Just done a 3 week trip to France and bank account is lighter by £2300.

But I have always thought women on holiday are high maintenance. ;)

Our 4 week trip to France this year cost £44 per day, although that does only factor in ferry at £70 return (opportunity cost of Tesco vouchers). All ACSI sites, 1,200 miles towing 30 mpg. Big variable in France is how much you choose to eat out.

Volvo & Bailey

There is quite a difference in some pricing here. Do folks calculate absolutely everything in their costs? (Including UK travel, insurances, all food and other shopping, beers out, tourist attraction s etc)?

This was our 64 night trip to Croatia, the first 4 nights being on a local site preparing.

Campsite fees £ 1,331. 53

Meals and drinks out £ 1,417. 02

Fuel £ 782. 82

Shopping / Supermarkets £ 972. 07

Tourism £ 364. 91

Travel (tolls, inc Tunnel) etc £ 685. 88

Edited by PandR
  • Like 1

Caravan Ramblings blog

So here's my pennyworth. ............... My longest time away is the winter spent in Spain. That lasts for 122 days, which is the maximum length of stay allowed by Red Pennant. For the past few years I've listed my costs at the end of each year's blog, but as they only differ slightly from year to year here is an average sample.

Return fare from Portsmouth to Northern Spain using a friend's discount around £630
Site fees including electricity for three and a bit months on my main site is £800
Site fees on the journey down and back, usually around £180
Fuel for the journey both ways around £200
Red Pennant for 122 days £290. ...............

Exchange rate fluctuations vary from year to year but total cost is around £2000.

I don't include supermarket shopping or local fuel costs because I have those both at home and away.

• Like 2

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Generally "running costs" are much the same as at home once you have paid for fuel, ferries, tolls and camp fees. Food and drink costs can often be lower than at home, although there are exceptions and yo mat well eat out more often, also if you are so inclined you have to allow for entrance fees to various attractions.

Don't worry about it ! Decide your route, go for it, spend what you feel is right for you and, if you must, total it up when you return.

I like your approach. ..

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

We'd be going in May/June, or September/October but certainly not in silly season. Probably staying in France for the first trip, probably travelling down the east side to the south coast, then back up a more westerly route.

As per my OP, I'm comfortable calculating ferry, sites, fuel etc, what I was looking for was the unknowns (and there are a few nuggets in here, such as checking home insurance coverage), but also just what generally others are budgeting for such trips.

So thank you, much appreciated.

It certainly looks doable! :Thankyou:

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

We took about €650 with us to Spain earlier in the year. When we went to France in June we took the remainder of €650 with us which was about €300. We found it was more than enough. We used the card to pay for groceries, campsites, fuel while we were away. As Valda stated it depends if you like to go out every night or a meal or not. We ate out once a week and were not extravagant as we were in France to enjoy ourselves.

6 or 7 weeks away in May/June we budget for the cost of a gardener and Royal Mail Keep Safe so the mail isn't overflowing from the letterbox.

John.

There is quite a difference in some pricing here. Do folks calculate absolutely everything in their costs? (Including UK travel, insurances, all food and other shopping, beers out, tourist attraction s etc)?

This was our 64 night trip to Croatia, the first 4 nights being on a local site preparing.

Campsite fees £ 1,331. 53

Meals and drinks out £ 1,417. 02

Fuel £ 782. 82

Shopping / Supermarkets £ 972. 07

Tourism £ 364. 91

Travel (tolls, inc Tunnel) etc £ 685. 88

My figures didn't take into account the costs in this country i. e. an overnight stop at Dover but just how many euros were on our cash card before we went and how many when we came back, how many we took with us, and the credit card items on the statement when we got back plus of course ferry and RP. It's broken down a bit more on my blogs into ferry, RP, tolls and fuel although the fuel one might not be completely accurate as that is all we put on the credit card [except the monthly toll charge] so I take that figure but on the odd occasion we may pay in cash.

I do take in the freezer sausages and steaks for BBQ for about eight to ten meals We take picnics out with us and rarely go in for a drink or lunch, our only weakness being ice-creams, so I doubt if our eating out comes to more than £250 for the six weeks. My supermarket bills are usually on the large side.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com