Route Advice To Coniston, Lake District

Hi folks, hope someone can help me.

I'm looking for route advice. Heading to Coniston in the Lake District, coming South down the M6. There are three possible options I can see-

1. Come off the M6 at J40, take A66 to Keswick, then A591 down to Ambleside, then A593 to Coniston. Basically goes right through the Lake District.

2. Keep on the M6 to J37, take A684 to Kendal, pick up the A5284 / A591 to Windermere, keep on A591 to Ambleside, then A593 to Coniston. Looks slightly more convoluted.

3. Keep on the M6 to J36, take A590 all the way across to Greenodd, then A5092 to Lowick Green, then A5084 to Torver, then A593 to Coniston. Looks perhaps the simplest route but presumably the longest route (long way around).

Any views / previous experience appreciated.

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

My tuppence: route number 1.

There are some wiggly bits around Rydal Water on the way to Ambleside, but no worse than the top end of Loch Lomond.

I, (and, doubtless, others have done it), would advise against going from Ambleside, along the B5286, and through Outgate to the northern end of Coniston.

Solo; there is a very scenic route to Wasdale. Worth doing.

We use Junction 39,Windermere,sharp left at Ambleside Rugby Club and carry on to Coniston.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Years ago we always used route #1 but now with the extra traffic we always use route 3.

What do CC directions say?

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We have been all three ways. CMC recommend route 3. Its OK a bit narrow in places but much much better than the others esp at busy times. The route via Ambleside (we had a static caravan at Skelwith Fold just outside Ambleside on the way to Hawkshead for 10 years so are familiar with all roads in that area) is mostly fine and many caravanners use it but there are 2 sections which are very narrow - no center line which can be a bit tricky and going through Coniston, to the sites south of the village, can be challenging.

Route 3

3 every time. You'll make no friends with the locals towing a van from Ambleside to Coniston. You may think you're ok, other road users will be irritated.

South lakes then the peninsulas for me. Option 3. Better roads, less traffic. Option 2 is a lovely drive but can get busy. And is narrow in places. Skelwith Bridge for example.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

. ... . .. . .Think we'll go option 3.

Good decision.

Spent a lot of time on the road from the Ambleside direction to Coniston and for me the combination of single deckers, lorries and the many dry stone walls are a recipe for :(

Although from the south there are two or three 'tight spots,' nowhere near as many potential problem areas as the approach from the north so for me via Greenodd from J36 every time.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

I put the route from Penrith, (very near the M6), to Coniston and stipulated a caravan.

The recommended Route it threw up would take you over Kirkstone pass. Now, it's a very scenic route, (done it both ways on many an occasion solo), BUT I wouldn't recommend towing a van up it, or down the other side to Windermere.

https://www. google. co. uk/maps/@54. 4378344,-2. 8984614,12z

There is not that much difference in time and distance in any of Michelin's other two routes, but the the OP's route 3, coming in from the South through Torver, is not mentioned.

https://www. viamichelin. co. uk/web/Routes?departure=Penrith%2C%20United%20Kingdom&departureId=31NDFiaXUxMGNOVFF1TmpZMk5qaz1jTFRJdU56VTBPVFE9&arrival=Coniston&arrivalId=31NDE4b2YxMGNOVFF1TXpZNE9UYz1jTFRNdU1EYzFOelE9&index=2&vehicle=0&type=0&distance=mi&currency=GBP&highway=false&toll=false&vignette=false&orc=false&crossing=true&caravan=true&car=sedan&fuel=diesel&fuelCost=1. 15&allowance=0&corridor=&departureDate=&arrivalDate=

3 does seem a long way round. https://www. google. co. uk/maps/@54. 4295062,-2. 9412954,10. 17z

Edited by Guest

Defo NOT route 2. I recommend 3 as being easiest and avoids tourist hotspots.

Coniston is quite wooded and this suits some people but not others.

I recommend Stott Park Bobbin Mill at Newby Bridge for a visit on a rainy day. Tell 'em I sent you :D

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Deffo recommend route 3. Would say that it is just easier on the nerves.

Wispman - saw the bobbin mill on the telly - looked good will have to visit next time we visit family there

Seesaw

2012 Swift Conqueror 630 towed by Toyota Hilux Invincible

I volunteer there every Mon morning. Mention my name and they'll see you off the premises :)

BTW tis English Heritage property. May be on Countryfile this winter, the mill - not me!!

Graham

Maybe thats where I saw it - also met people who now own homes in Finsthwaite and were researching who had lived in there homes before.

Seesaw

2012 Swift Conqueror 630 towed by Toyota Hilux Invincible

There's a very nice CL or CS (EHU only) around the corner from the Bobbin Mill. ..other than the squeaky bottom of going over Newby Bridge itself, can recommend.

Route 3 doesn't look that long, certainly from the South - I wouldn't entertain towing around Skelwerth Bridge. Can you take caravans on the car ferry across Windermere, if you can this might be a good alternative although from memory the road between the lake and Torver might be a bit tight in places!

I'll be sticking with Bowness when we hit the Lakes next Easter.

No caravans on the ferry.

And Bowness is a tourist trap that I avoid like the plague. Full of Chinese!

Graham