Novice Needing Advice

Lukeg86

Before i start, i will apologise because i know this will be a repeat of old information for most people .

I havent bought my caravan (or tow car yet) so im after some advice . My other half absolutely hates 4x4 / landrover types but as we only need one car we are looking at (and hoping) that a new 1. 5tdci focus or even the 2. 0tdci focus could pull the van . The caravan we are wanting to get in an eccles 510.

Does anyone know if either of these 2 could pull that comfortably or have any suggestions of what i could get instead that could also be used as a reasonably sized family car and tower.

Cheers in advance

Hi Luke. A Volvo V70 petrol or diesel depending upon your anticipated/intended mileage both towing and solo.

The have a maximum braked towing limit of 1800kgs and generally a kerb-weight of around 1750kgs.

The 5cyl 163bhp diesel is said among the trusted Volvo technicians to be the better all-round option on reliability.

The 5cyl 170bhp petrol engine is the better compromise on fuel consumption among the petrol powered variants.

The V70 T5 is an awesome tow-car especially with an automatic/geartronic gearbox.

The SE Geartronic is a dream to drive and it makes towing such an easy and pleasant task.

Beware - not all 'Fully Loaded' variants are as described and a check-list is advised if considering one of these absolutely 'Bullet Proof' know for high mileage comfortable cruisers.

The electronic sunroof is known for issues that can often be traced back to the battery battery for the siren located under the front OS wing - they leak when they get old and the leak will then affect the small circuit board.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Thanks people, i will check thoes now.

Never thought of a volvo but it makes sense.

The 1. 5 would struggle, the 2. 0 would be powerful enough but the weight of a manual hatch 2. 0TDCi is practically the same as the MTPLM (total weight) of the caravan which you need to be mindful of if you aren't experienced. I'd personally want either a slightly heavier car or lighter caravan

A V70 is a bit of a bus, if you liked Volvo's then an S/V60 D3, D4 or D5 would be ideal for the caravan.

How about a nice VW Passat.

John. :)

Before i start, i will apologise because i know this will be a repeat of old information for most people .

I havent bought my caravan (or tow car yet) so im after some advice . My other half absolutely hates 4x4 / landrover types but as we only need one car we are looking at (and hoping) that a new 1. 5tdci focus or even the 2. 0tdci focus could pull the van . The caravan we are wanting to get in an eccles 510.

Does anyone know if either of these 2 could pull that comfortably or have any suggestions of what i could get instead that could also be used as a reasonably sized family car and tower.

Cheers in advance

On a slightly different tack, you could treat your OH to a Land Rover Experience day, as I did:

post-81729-0-31035700-1502456402_thumb.jpg

She loved it and viewed my Range Rover (since gone for the X5) very differently after that.

(More photos of the day here: http://brianyoungphotos. weebly. com/land-rover-experience-rockingham. html)

Edited by exbonneville

Cheers everyone for all the great advice . I can see im going to be busy tonight trying to find the perfect match up !!

Cheers in advance

Go for the larger engine in case at a later stage you want a heavier caravan however with a B licence the heaviest caravan you can tow with a Focus 2. 0 is about 1450kg. If you go for the Volvo S60 the maximum weight of the caravan will need to be a bit less.

Get yourself a Mondeo Estate. Pull most vans & it's a good drive as well.

Always loads of em about for any price range.

Mate of mine has a Skoda Superb & is quite boring about how good a car it is, but in fact he's not wrong. Well worth a look.

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

What licence do you have - B or B+E ?

If you like ford's then a mondeo is obvious choice, I have had 3 different models over the years and all been great towcars the current new model is nothing short of an fantastic towcar.

If looking for something a bit smaller a skoda octavia is a good car and may be perfect weight wise to nip you in under the 3500kg limit with a standard car licences and still have a weight ratio well under 100% with that caravan.