Sign in to follow this  
macafee2

Don't Park So, Don't Park So

don't park so close to me.

We tucked ourselves away at the far corner of a CL. Would have been hard pushed to get the car between us and the hedge.

Couple of days later an OAP coupe turn up and park leaving perhaps enough room for their awning and our car between their van and mine.

While they were positioning the van I went to talk to them, all smiles, mentioned about our car and if they were putting an awning up it would open onto our car and not very nice for them. .. more smiles.

They did not take the hint. Wife came back with car after a day out and was not impressed. If we looked out of our side window we looked right into their van. If we were staying for longer wife said she'd have moved our van to another location.

With so much space on the field why park so close to me?

A camper van. .. big camper van twin axle had parked about a foot from the cold water tap so anyone filling up was right next to their camper. Oh well their choice.

macafee2

Best when there are delineated pitches.

• Like 1

Ha, I feel your pain. We've had similar experiences and I just don't get it. We use CS's partly because of the space they normally offer over larger sites. I just don't understand why some folk feel the need to get as close to the next unit as if they were on a typical club site when there's so much space.

I'm gonna work on my angry face for when they arrive in future

• Like 3

"ME FACTOR " strikes again. ... Must admit was a lot more chilled out on my last outing. First one this year. My only concern being a couple of french minors playing ball quite close to my much loved Tug. One mean stare through the window sorted that one out but when I sat outside reading my book they wee lad who was about two wanted to be my pal :angry: Ended up best mates for 10 minutes. Even came over to say Bye Bye the next morning. ... Don't like Weans !!! :angry:

• Like 3

I think you just need to point out that according to the Caravan Club (CMC) you should have, I think it is at least 5mtrs between units & 3mtrs to an awning. We came back to a CL once & found a caravan extremely close to ours. Went to the CL owners & they told them to move, they did.

We were once the only caravan parked in a five acre Cl [before electric sockets] when a caravan came in and was parked right next to us. Whereas I was normally a very considerate mother keeping my two children quiet and not allowing them to go anywhere near other caravans, on this occasion I told them to make as much noise as they liked and play ball just outside the van. After a few days we got talking to the old couple who it turned out were really nice and made me feel so guilty when she complemented me on the behaviour of my two. Still didn't like them parking so close when they had the other five acres to park in though.

• Like 2

We were the only ones at a cl in the Peak District with unobstructed views across the valley and had 2 twin axle behemoth park between us and the view. Didn't like the look of the new people or their dogs so we packed up and left a day early.

• Like 1

Gathering together for safety and security is an example of the herd instinct.

The next stage is gathering the wagons into a defensive circle with the men manning the barricades, the women fetching water, gathering kindling, baking bread and giving birth to babies whilst reloading the men's rifles. :rolleyes:;)

• Like 2

I am guilty of this. :-(

Troutbeck head, we arrived just after Midday. One van pitched up by the park, nothing else there. It was Easter holidays so I expected the site to fill to the max. So I pitched next to the only van on that section.

Nobody else came, I felt like a right moron. :-(

• Like 4

Yup, this is a strange social phenomenon known as "crowding". You may have noticed it also happens in near empty car parks. For those of us, I suspect many camper of all sorts, crave our personal space!

• Like 3

Yup, this is a strange social phenomenon known as "crowding". You may have noticed it also happens in near empty car parks. For those of us, I suspect many camper of all sorts, crave our personal space!

Strange that when so many use CC sites where the units are squeezed as tightly together as the regulations allow?

• Like 3

This drives me mad ! One of the main reasons for using CL's is for the space and when some idiot comes along and ruins the whole thing you wonder what planet they are on ! If I saw them doing it I would ask them why ? If I came back to it I would have a word with them and the owners. Hubby would be hiding in the caravan, poor chap. . . . . :)

Edited by Shirl250
  • Like 2

With so much space on the field why park so close to me?

​It must be your magnetic personality.

• Like 1

I suspect it is an inbuilt "comfort" thing humans seem to need; with me they probably would find anything but comfort if I came back to find anyone too close!

• Like 1

Gathering together for safety and security is an example of the herd instinct.

The next stage is gathering the wagons into a defensive circle with the men manning the barricades, the women fetching water, gathering kindling, baking bread and giving birth to babies whilst reloading the men's rifles. :rolleyes:;)

I was in full agreement until I read about the women collecting the water. Never happened for me.

John

• Like 2

I suppose that's where the windbreaks come in, to mark out your pitch. I agree that a bit of space between 'vans is necessary

if only for safety sake. I have been on the sites where they have hedges between pitches, I think 3 or 4 feet would be okay but 6 to 8 foot was horrible, it felt like we were put in a cell of some sort. I like open spaces.

• Like 1

Interesting as SWMBO and I recently spent a couple of nights on a completely unregulated site with no rules!

We were attending an agricultural show where we had a stand and as it was a 2 day show I asked if there was anywhere we could park our caravan on site and was told that it would be okay to stay in the lorry park and that other exhibitors did so. Now we weren't expecting much and weren't too worried as we were basically only going to sleep there and we have our trusty solar panels for topping up the leisure battery, the toilet cassette will last a couple of days so all I needed to get was water.

We arrived in the morning and were directed into a field with a very muddy entrance, there had been tractors and various heavy goods vehicle through the gate and it had been raining. No matter, as I have a 4x4 truck with low range gearbox and diff lock so I wasn't going to get stuck (famous last words). There was a gate at the entrance but this was never closed or locked.

We saw a line of half a dozen caravans packed rather close to each other and slotted in at the end of the row, about 6 foot from our neighbours. I set up the waste and solar panels but there was no water on the lorry park. I had to go into the showground, a walk of about half a mile to get water. Anyway we were all sorted but a little close and we were all in the same boat, as it were.

In the opposite corner from us were another couple of caravans one of which was connected to a generator that was running from 07. 00 hours to 23. 00 hours each day! This was not a small quiet generator, it was a large industrial one that made quite a drone.

On the second evening after we had packed our stand away and were settling in for the night, a large newish motorhome wandered in. They set up on the far side of the lorry park/field and were soon shuttered up and in darkness. Then about 10. 30 hours, just as it was getting dark a plain white van with no windows came in and parked a few yards from us. The occupants sat in the cab for an hour and then we heard the side door slide open and they disappeared inside for the night. Were they up to no good? Would my solar panels still be there in the morning?

I eventually fell asleep to be woken up about 07. 00 hours the next morning by the sound of the generator cranking up and of the motorhome 'sneaking' out (before anyone could ask them for money I suppose).

As it was the chaps in the van had been working at the showground and were sleeping in the back of their van (they were not nocturnal solar panel thieves as I had feared). By the time we had partaken of a leisurely breakfast and packed the van ready to leave we were the last people on the site apart from our 'friends' with the droning generator. As we left I shouted a comment to the chap with the generator about the mud. Then I found out why his close proximity to his generator did not bother him - he was very hard of hearing! Maybe that was a result of living next to a noisy generator for many years.

Anyway the experience made SWMBO and I fully appreciate the value of having some rules on a site and someone to gently enforce them - long live the CL and CS! :)

BH

• Like 2

Anyway the experience made SWMBO and I fully appreciate the value of having some rules on a site and someone to gently enforce them - long live the CL and CS! :)

Rules that benefit the majority and maintain safety (and legality) are welcome - it's the ones that nit-pick and / or appear to be there to boost profit that cause most problems.

In reality you only need one rule - "Respect others".

Gordon.

• Like 3

but when I sat outside reading my book they wee lad who was about two wanted to be my pal :angry: Ended up best mates for 10 minutes. Even came over to say Bye Bye the next morning. . . . Don't like Weans !!! :angry:

Aye, yir foolin' naeboady! :P

• Like 1

"The next stage is gathering the wagons into a defensive circle with the men manning the barricades,"

We were stopping on an almost deserted site in France when a convoy of about 6 Brit caravans arrived, we couldn't believe our eyes as they proceeded to maneuver them into a perfect circle on the front lawn of the Chateaux, daft thing was by early next morning they were gone!!

Aye, yir foolin' naeboady! :P

Nae kiddin Jelly . .. I seem to have this sixth sense wi weans . .. On one occasion years ago was hawf asleep oon ma recliner, book resting on ma chest and this wee 4 year auld Knight clad in plastic armour thought it was a good idea to stab me in the eye with his plastic sword !!!

Down in Cornwall our neighbours we lad came bursting through the door and said " out the way Mrs ", shoving her out of the road and sat beside me watching the telly. His parents were mortified . .. :D . ..... I meet them. ..

I suppose that's where the windbreaks come in, to mark out your pitch. I agree that a bit of space between 'vans is necessary

if only for safety sake. I have been on the sites where they have hedges between pitches, I think 3 or 4 feet would be okay but 6 to 8 foot was horrible, it felt like we were put in a cell of some sort. I like open spaces.

Two things among many I like on a campsite:

- nice views

- people-watching (from a respectful distance, of course.)

• Like 2

Nae kiddin Jelly . .. I seem to have this sixth sense wi weans . .. On one occasion years ago was hawf asleep oon ma recliner, book resting on ma chest and this wee 4 year auld Knight clad in plastic armour thought it was a good idea to stab me in the eye with his plastic sword !!!

Down in Cornwall our neighbours we lad came bursting through the door and said " out the way Mrs ", shoving her out of the road and sat beside me watching the telly. His parents were mortified . .. :D . ... . . I meet them. . .

So whit yir sayin' is weans are like flies and you're like a wee broon lump on the flair! :P

Jist a wee thought though, pitchin up fur free in the swing park may hae sumptin tae dae wi it! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

So whit yir sayin' is weans are like flies and you're like a wee broon lump on the flair! :P

Jist a wee thought though, pitchin up fur free in the swing park may hae sumptin tae dae wi it! :rolleyes:

Where do I find a translation for that!

• Like 1

Where do I find a translation for that!

Grumps will be alang in a meenut tae sort yi out of.