Sign in to follow this  
David P

Elddis Recall

Didn't like the stargazer skylight and bought a 2015 Affinity when we saw they were on the 2016 model. They are too big the 3 individual skylights offer much more flexibility for opening when cooking etc. The stargazer is also sharp underneath which we didn't like either. Shame Elddis have decided to retain the stargazer on 2018 models

• Like 2

Been in touch with my dealer regarding recall of starlight roof window and he wants it for a full day, he is going to take it out and completely reseal/bond it, even it seems OK, he says as they are going to be responsible for it he wants to make sure it is correctly bonded and sealed.

Difficult to lock down, won't stay open, and the blind has lost it's tension (and can't be serviced) and now it might fall off, not much to recommend the stargazer over its will it, won't it shut when it rains predecessor. ..

Anyone had any problems with the "tumble home" front roof light? Mines hanging off!! And apparently it takes longer than a month to work out who's going to pay to screw it back up.

Our Compass Camino has the said skylight and it failed when we were in France three weeks ago. I contacted the dealer and they have put in a claim for warranty. Coincidentally, I received the recall letter today but have not heard any more from my dealer.

Several minor warranty issues with the van and really inconvenient to have to take it 100 miles to return it. Plus, they will want it for 48 hrs so that means a total of 400 miles with no chance of reimbursement.

Oh, the joys. ......................................

We bought an Affinity 530 in 2016. We received a letter from Elddis about a “Skylight issue” asking us to take it into our dealer for a check. We contacted Glossop, it went in and they told us the issue was resolved. We didn’t know what the issue was, but it was resolved apparently, so all was good. 

Last month (June 2019) we’ve found a damp issue round the skylight. We contacted Glossop who said the previous Elddis letter issue was only about the hinge. They repaired that so our damp problem is no related and not their problem. 

This week, after heavy rain, we now have a bigger problem with the caravan. Water got inside through the skylight and had caused a major issue. We’ve got a quote for the repair at £2600!!! Elddis say they won’t help as we missed an annual service in 2017!!!

Today, I’ve just searched “Elddis skylight problem” and found this thread. I am astounded that Elddis knew about a sealant problem around the skylight, Glossop knew about a sealant problem around the skylight, yet even though we took the caravan in for “a skylight issue”, Glossop say they only looked at the hinge and our leaking skylight is our problem to pay for. 

We are now left with a bill of over £2000!!! Oh, Glossop have said they’ll sell us a new caravan if we don’t want this one repaired!! 

Does anyone still have a copy of the letter from Elddis stating they accept there is a problem with the skylight sealant?

Try asking Elddis for details of the recall, which I am sure they will have, then you can go back to Glossop and turn the screws on.

As it was a known issue at the time Glossop clearly failed to exercise due diligence with your particular caravan.

Might be worth asking Elddis if they were billed by Glossop for warranty work in respect of the sealant issue on yours :D

Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean Guv?

Sadly this is another clear example as to why it’s vital to have an annual service. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Are you sure it is an issue with the sealant and not a cracked frame?  BTW if damp has got in then maybe it is as a result of an issue that has been there from day one.  Nowhere in current legislation does it state that the dealer is absolved from their responsibilities if you miss a service.  Rather accept what Glossop have told you, contact Which Legal Services on 0117 405 4288 to get the correct information to challenge Glossop caravans.  If it is on finance contact the finance company and advise them that Glossop do not want to play ball.

We took our Affinity 550 back to Glossop for this recall and everything has been in order. From memory the recall was because the sealant/glue around the skylight front hinge had been an issue hence the recall. 

As as far as I’m aware I have seen no reports of problems about the seal around the skylight in general or any damp issues.

I thought the skylight issue was with Elddis only using adhesive to fix it in position - this was the Stargazer very long type, not the normal Heki. 

The fix was to put three screws under the hinge end I believe. 

This issue was still apparent in 2018 caravans as we got the recall notice.

Firstly, I said the “skylight” above. I meant the “Stargazer”. The problem we have now is water coming in the Stargazer area (& front windows), which is because of the Elddis adhesive problem in manufacturing (& possible design fault). 

We received a recall letter from Elddis & the caravan went in to be checked. But Glossop say that recall letter was only for the hinge(???). Even though the caravan went into Glossop for a service after that, nobody checked for the adhesive Stargazer problem on our van. We didn’t know anything about this problem until we identified a damp patch a few weeks ago and then the heavy rain last week poured in. 

Now, to be fair to Glossop, I should give an update on what’s happened since my post. 

We had a meeting with Stan Laing (Glossop MD) & Mike Hodges (Sales) on Saturday. To be fair, Glossop have tried to bend over backwards to help us. As a result, we’ve agreed a deal so we get a new caravan & Glossop take over the problem with Elddis. It should never have been our problem. Elddis have messed up (& Glossop partly). What leaves a sour taste for us, is Elddis haven’t been open about it. We knew nothing about a Stargazer adhesive/design problem at all until we had a huge problem with our caravan. They had opportunity to resolve this well before it became an issue, but didn’t. 

Anyway, we’re out of Elddis now. Having read many posts in the last few days about these same issues from many people, Elddis have some serious issues, not just in their manufacturing. 

Glad you getting sorted, although not the way it should have been, i.e assembled correctly firstly and repaired correctly secondly.

Edited by Benny65

As I see it the main problem is that caravans are basically all hand made. With a car everything is done by a robot so every single action is done in exactly the same way every single time, and that includes putting the correct amount of sealant in exactly the right place. A human is not capable of such accurate repetition and that’s probably where most of the issues arise. 

Anyone of a certain age will recall that in years gone by, before the advent of robotisation, similar problems were common with new cars. 

The main ani thing is that David has come to an arrangement he is happy with. In just about every industry things sometimes go wrong. The important thing is how the manufacturer/retailer deals with those inevitable issues.

Andy

2 hours ago, David2019 said:

Firstly, I said the “skylight” above. I meant the “Stargazer”. The problem we have now is water coming in the Stargazer area (& front windows), which is because of the Elddis adhesive problem in manufacturing (& possible design fault). 

We received a recall letter from Elddis & the caravan went in to be checked. But Glossop say that recall letter was only for the hinge(???). Even though the caravan went into Glossop for a service after that, nobody checked for the adhesive Stargazer problem on our van. We didn’t know anything about this problem until we identified a damp patch a few weeks ago and then the heavy rain last week poured in. 

Now, to be fair to Glossop, I should give an update on what’s happened since my post. 

We had a meeting with Stan Laing (Glossop MD) & Mike Hodges (Sales) on Saturday. To be fair, Glossop have tried to bend over backwards to help us. As a result, we’ve agreed a deal so we get a new caravan & Glossop take over the problem with Elddis. It should never have been our problem. Elddis have messed up (& Glossop partly). What leaves a sour taste for us, is Elddis haven’t been open about it. We knew nothing about a Stargazer adhesive/design problem at all until we had a huge problem with our caravan. They had opportunity to resolve this well before it became an issue, but didn’t. 

Anyway, we’re out of Elddis now. Having read many posts in the last few days about these same issues from many people, Elddis have some serious issues, not just in their manufacturing. 

The Stargazer rooflight recall was started sometime in May/June last year, by which time ours had already fallen off. The solution was to put 6 screws in the surround. However, that wasn't the only problem with it, the surround was not deep enough so it was forced against the rooflight, so not only gravity but the extra force induced here will always make this a dodgy repair. Elddis have refused to acknowledge this.

However I feel the second problem you have is possibly not down to sealant, but another problem I had with mine. The collapsing roof.  Others had experienced this too, and when you put a straight edge along the front of the roof, mine dipped down by 2cm in the middle creating a puddle in front of the stargazer window. Sooner or later the sealant would give here, due to the flexing of the broken roof (I could push mine up from the inside with one hand) and the constant immersion in water.  So glad I rejected my heap of junk! I doubt yours will be the only one to suffer this as time goes on. You did the right thing getting rid! BTW, this van was less than 6 months old!

434809732_Pic12Roofcollapse.thumb.JPG.298adbd38e03cc61ae2ade9eb4553a25.JPG

Edited by thebriars

thebriars,

Yes, I do believe our van has the same problem and won’t be the last. This is what I meant above about the design fault. I read a post over the weekend saying one owner took the inside panels off at the front windows & there’s a wood support (cross member) that had come away from the outer skin. It was only held in place by Velcro & glue!!

I believe the Stargazer was implemented without enough thought. It’s a design fault as the surround is causing the roof to drop, allowing water to come in around the Stargazer, but also this is causing problems at the front windows as well. Elddis made a huge marketing programme of how they don’t use screws, it’s all bonded, then this causes a problem so they keep it quiet, but repair any that come forward by using screws to botch a repair. 

I agree with the principle of what Mr Plodd says about hand made, but Elddis made a huge management mistake by not being open about the problem and recalling all that could have potentially had a problem. Instead, they kept quiet and waited to see who came forward, then used a missed service as an excuse to invalidate the warranty (that’s their current policy, but it’s wrong!). In this case, a product recall due to a potential problem in manufacturing is a product recall. This is nothing to do with warranty!

If I own a Mercedes car & they find a potential problem with a component fitted in original manufacture, Mercedes would send a letter to every owner to get their car into a local dealer for inspection & replace the part if necessary. They wouldn’t say, “but check they’ve done every service to maintain the warranty, otherwise it’s not our issue”. A product recall due to bad manufacture/design fault is a product recall and nothing to do with warranty. 

I’m sure we’ve done the right thing getting rid, but I feel sorry for other owners who have still not seen their problem yet.

I’ve always been a fan of Elddis, but this is disgraceful. The management of Elddis should hold their hands up if they’ve found a problem and solve issues proactively, not reactively. 

I know what you mean about cars. I also go on a Mitsubishi forum, and while my ASX is superbly reliable, there has been a long term issue with the boot lid rusting on older models. Mitsubishi are willingly replacing boot lids on cars that are 8-9 years old! This is one reason I'm on my 3rd ASX.

Frankly I think Elddis are a disgrace. Not only did we have the above faults but also a real problem with the cupboard holding the microwave also falling off the wall. When I was at the NEC last October there was the 2019 version with the same design/build  faults I had on mine already evident. You cannot put that down to them being hand made.  As for the glue failing, they have made a big case about how good their bonded systems are. Really? Thank goodness they don't make airplane wings!

Lunar caravans which also have a similar stargazer state that you cannot fir an air con or anything on the roof so they recognised that there would be an issue with the stargazer roof light.  IMHO fitting them was taking a step backwards.  Ours is a right pain to open so we no longer bother with opening it.  

Edited by Durbanite

On 08/08/2017 at 20:35, pete260 said:

I would have thought if one was affected there would be many more.

Ian

Perhaps it was the same fitter hence not every van,only guessing.

do not no why my post is underlined?

Years ago, it was alleged that the same fitter, by not moving the trestle that he was stood on, caused a two inch gap in the roof sealant. All I do know is that Swift had a lot of trouble with roof leaks on some vans.

I have Elddis chatsworth 574 had to have both sky lights changed because they cracked which Glossop did not find when serviced now have cracks on both rear roof top corners so will have to go back in again got a feeling that it as stress problems in design

Hi can you confirm it is the picture of the sky-scape window that is cracked at the front of your van. ?
thank you

1 hour ago, CHHaines said:

Hi can you confirm it is the picture of the sky-scape window that is cracked at the front of your van. ?
thank you

You are asking thebriars this question but unfortunately they were last on the forum six months ago so let's hope they come back and see your post.