Sign in to follow this  
David P

Elddis Recall

I had a recorded delivery letter from Elddis. Highlighting a problem with the long skylight. Apparently there is an issue with the skylight not being glued to the roof correctly! I have to return the caravan to the dealers, to have it inspected and any repair work done.

Thought I would post this, so anyone who has not had a letter, is aware of the issue.

Dave P

I had a 2013 Affinity 530 (before the new skylight). They didn't bond the skylight correctly to the roof either and it leaked causing damp in 2/3rd of the ceiling. I have to admit when I saw the new models with the long skylight it did cross my mind whether they would be able to fit them correctly.

At least they have recognised there is an issue and are being proactive about it. Whilst all of us would prefer to have fault free vans none of the manufacturers are perfect, it's how they deal with those problems when they arise that really matters.

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891
  • Like 2

Does this apply to ANY model?

Does this apply to ANY model?

I think its SN. specific. Our caravan is a 2016 spec!

there is also the long skylight fitted to many other models too. buccaneers 2017 on etc

Just received letter from Elddis regarding long skylight not properly secured in a VERY SMALL NUMBER OF CASES. Letter states that you should apply a small amount of pressure to the hinge side of the dome from the inside of the van and check for any movement. If the skylight does not seem secure please tape to roof with duct tape and transport back to your dealer for dealer to fix, the fix should take less than 1 hour. Just checked my Crusader Mistral and all seems OK but i will have it checked by my dealer when convenint.

We also have had the letter for our Affinity 554. Dealers are looking at it Weds afternoon.

LOL !! (Well, not really)

​I picked up a brand new Crusader on Tues 20th June, travelled to Cheltenham on Weds 21st for an overnight transit stop on the way to start 10 days in Exmoor from 22nd.

Arrived in Cheltenham at about 19:00, got out of the lovely air conditioned car to be hit by 34deg heat - ouch! Got the van unhitched and naturally went straight to all the windows to get them open, and of course the long skylight. Gave it a one-finger push and felt the whole thing come loose. Assumed it had popped out of a slot of some kind at the front, only after getting access to the roof (thanks to the wardens at the site who lent me a stepladder) did I realise it had come completely loose. Didn't fiddle with it, got straight on to the dealer next day, explained the situation (and that I was en-route to a 10 day holiday), and as above, their immediate advice was to get some high strength Duck tape/Gorilla tape and stick it down at the hinge end until I could get it back in for attention.

Spoke to the fitter who did the repair, he didn't exactly say there'd been loads of instances, but he did insinuate that it wasn't the first time he had seen it and that in his opinion the factory weren't using enough adhesive and/or letting it cure properly.

Anyway, mine's been fine ever since, but my habit of always carrying a roll of Duck tape (along with a tin of WD40 and a decent hammer - I'm sure you all know the score, see below if not!) proved to be invaluable and saved the holiday.

I wonder if I'll get a recall, even though mine's been attended to ?

Cheers,

S

If it's not meant to move but does, apply Duck tape

If it's meant to move but doesn't, apply WD40

If it doesn't fit, use the hammer

:D:D:D

Why is it that whenever there is a serious problem with caravans it only affects " a small number of cases".

I would have thought if one was affected there would be many more.

Ian

I would have thought if one was affected there would be many more.

Ian

Perhaps it was the same fitter hence not every van,only guessing.

do not no why my post is underlined?

^^ Beat me to it - what he said (re a particular fitter).......

Got my letter this morning for our dealer branded 2017 Avante 586.

Not good. I'll check the van tonight and speak to the dealer tomorrow about the priority of getting it looked at. More hassle I could do without.

I'll report back on how this pans out.

Hi,

We had ours inspected today at the dealers. They said someone at the factory had not been scoring the roof on the affected ones and this had caused them not to stick properly. Ours was ok but they had been told by Elddis to put 3 screws in as an extra precaution. They said they had only had 1 in that had been defective.

Hi,

We had ours inspected today at the dealers. They said someone at the factory had not been scoring the roof on the affected ones and this had caused them not to stick properly. Ours was ok but they had been told by Elddis to put 3 screws in as an extra precaution. They said they had only had 1 in that had been defective.

So much for Elddis Solid construction philosophy, no external screws?????

Taken from Elddis website!

"We do not believe in talking about ‘managing’ water ingress – which inevitably does happen in competitor products which are held together by mechanical screws or bolts."

Edited by David P

I have got a elddis magnum gt I will give the dealer a call in the morning thanks for the heads up we notice a drop of water coming in yesterday

"We do not believe in talking about ‘managing’ water ingress – which inevitably does happen in competitor products which are held together by mechanical screws or bolts."

I think I should point out that screws are still not sued in the Solid construction. Using screws to secure the roof light is not part of the Solid process.

Surely all the hatches, toilet access . gas point are all screwed to the body.

I think the point is that the main shell is bonded (or however they do it), not that the entire construction is screw-free.

On my repair, I can see at least one screw has been used - it seems to be at an angle into the bonding material, don't think it will have penetrated the outer "skin". Might just have been used to secure the skylight in place while the new bonding cured. , and left in place [accidentally or deliberately, who knows]. Either way I'm not touching it, as long as it doesn't start rusting. ....

Interestingly, I've not received a recall [yet], maybe technology is working and the factory already have a record that I've been dealt with?!

S

Mine appears to be fine but I've got it booked in for the check / repair.

Workshop told me that Elddis have instructed them to fit screws to all vans they inspect regardless of if the bonding has failed. Told them as I was not happy about the use of screws as they can become a source of water ingress to which they replied that it was under instruction from Elddis so must be OK.

They advised me not to use the van in the meantime, but if I did, not to use the skylight. I am away in it all next week so no chance on not using the van, but I will keep the skylight shut.

Make sure you have some Duck tape "just in case" :)

​I think the heat probably contributed to my bonding coming away - no chance of that happening again at the moment with this lousy weather . .....

​S

post-19555-0-79458800-1502377828_thumb.jpg

just to be clear are we talking about the "Stargazer" sky light?

Definitely the Stargazer, an earlier post in the thread suggested may not be restricted to just Stargazer though. ....looking at your unit, could be affected.

I too have had the Elddis skylight letter - see my other post about my split locker lid on my 2016 Affinity 482. Strange how Elddis admit there is a problem with the skylight hinge not being properly fixed but deny there is any problem with the hinge on my locker lid. Presumably the lid is not a safety issue and is just out of warranty. I have tested my skylight and thankfully it seems ok but I'll get dealer to check when locker lid is replaced. I will then get rid of the van and never again trust a caravan expertly constructed by the Explore Group. Solid my xxxx

• Like 1

Good luck with the other manufacturers . ...none of them are perfect, just that some are less perfect than others. (Find me a damp-free Bailey Pegasus Mk1 :) )

I must admit that neither one of us like the Stargazer skylight and prefer the one similar to the skylight in the bedroom. At least you can easily raise it. It is difficult to reach up to close the Stargazer sky light as you have to lift it up and neither us can do this.