Sign in to follow this  
sampvt

Tv And Cell Phone Coverage In North Scotland

We are planning the 500 loop round the north of scotland in our motorhome that's fitted with a status 550 directional aerial. Mission control has a penchant for her soaps so obviously my question is such. ....Can we get reasonable freeview reception from inverness up to Jon o groats across the top and down the west coast, or is it hit and miss.

That being the case, i have a back up plan. ....Ive got 30 gig of data on my i phone with EE so if the freeview fails, I can always get tv player on the internet on my laptop and cast it to my tv if the phone coverage concerning data is available.

Am i hoping for too much or should I take dvds and some good books, lol

Freeview will be much more hit that miss.

Phone signal, depending on provider is patchy, therefore tethering may not be an option.

Perhaps a WIFI dongle on a network other than your (very impressive) 30gb provider allocation, might be worth considering as a back up.

Special treat, hidden and tucked away for that rainy day might be worth consideration for the OH should the lights go out ;) .

It will probably be all OK 'Soap Wise', enjoy.

John

We are planning the 500 loop round the north of scotland in our motorhome that's fitted with a status 550 directional aerial. Mission control has a penchant for her soaps so obviously my question is such. . . ..Can we get reasonable freeview reception from inverness up to Jon o groats across the top and down the west coast, or is it hit and miss.

That being the case, i have a back up plan. . . ..Ive got 30 gig of data on my i phone with EE so if the freeview fails, I can always get tv player on the internet on my laptop and cast it to my tv if the phone coverage concerning data is available.

Am i hoping for too much or should I take dvds and some good books, lol

Have a look at the Wolfbane coverage map http://www. wolfbane. com/articles/ukdcmap. htm bearing in mind that the blue ring is probably the limit for a status.

Similar limits may apply to mobile broadband and wifi - many places offering wifi don't have enough bandwidth for streaming.

We use a satellite dish and a Freesat box.

If I were to take on the same trip,I would take my Sky satellite gear with me. The most expensive part was the tripod and the Sky digibox and dish were bought secondhand for very little money.

John.

Brora caravan sites have good reception but Aviemore is a no no .

No TV in our van, so can't report on that, but up the North West coast we managed phone signal on a dongle much of the way as long as we were fairly much by the coast itself.
There are places where there is simply nothing. On our favourite site even the Wifi only worked as long as you sat in the facilities block. Good books and discovering local radio stations are both highly recommended. There are some great music programmes to be found, even if like us you can't understand the Gaelic! It's some of the most remote and beautiful places where there's no signal. This may be a good thing in some ways :-)

Have a great trip.

My 2d-worth is to check out sites' predicted reception via the UK Spectrum Planners' data - either as you go or in planning where to stop in advance of departure. @ http://www. digitaluk. co. uk/postcodechecker/

Tick the <detailed view> box and use a partial of the site name ('caravan' often works enough) in the <house name / number> box. NB This will be essential in remoter parts as postcodes cover very large areas, while very dwelling has a unique postcode address file identifier (the 'delivery point' iirc) that the planners use to make predictions for.

That should tell you which transmitters to try for. But occasionally you will get a blank - i. e. satellite only return. {The phrase used by us was <in getting away from it all, one can sometimes succeed all too well>. Of course some sites are outside the populated areas.

Parts of Scotland and Wales may still be using 'Self Help' relay transmitters which won't be listed via digitaluk (although the planners mostly know about them all, Ofcom licence them) as they rely on 'subscription' from users for maintenance and operation costs. {Caravan site operators would know if their site used these and would advise visitors, no doubt.}

I'd expect with a bit of pre-planning it should be possible to select sites where TV reception is possible with a fair to good probablility. (A call to the site owners to check reception may be worth doing in some places?)

In my view the 530/550 aerial with amplifier is about as good as you will get on a caravan/motorhome and will give you a reasonable chance of good results. Remember to cant over to vertical if watching the smaller relays.

I tend to use a compass for approximate pointiing direction then use my Freeview HD PVR's manual tune and signal strength/quality meter when checking reception on arrival. That allows accurate aerial pointing for 'maximum smoke' (quality and strength - quality being slightly more important). You my in the highland find strong reflections rather than the direct signal. .. but that will usually be poorer quality and may be variable. .. hence the compass to know which way the aerial points is correct!

You may find, though, that if TV reception is unavailable, so too will be mobile phone signals! (EE's web coverage checker can help in planning selecting the sites you go to).

Finally, that bit of Scotland is one of the first areas to be undergoing the latest frequency clearance re-planning and re-tuning process http://www. digitaluk. co. uk/operations/700mhz_clearance

My 2d-worth is to check out sites' predicted reception via the UK Spectrum Planners' data - either as you go or in planning where to stop in advance of departure. @ http://www. digitaluk. co. uk/postcodechecker/

Tick the <detailed view> box and use a partial of the site name ('caravan' often works enough) in the <house name / number> box. NB This will be essential in remoter parts as postcodes cover very large areas, while very dwelling has a unique postcode address file identifier (the 'delivery point' iirc) that the planners use to make predictions for.

That should tell you which transmitters to try for. But occasionally you will get a blank - i. e. satellite only return. {The phrase used by us was <in getting away from it all, one can sometimes succeed all too well>. Of course some sites are outside the populated areas.

Parts of Scotland and Wales may still be using 'Self Help' relay transmitters which won't be listed via digitaluk (although the planners mostly know about them all, Ofcom licence them) as they rely on 'subscription' from users for maintenance and operation costs. {Caravan site operators would know if their site used these and would advise visitors, no doubt.}

I'd expect with a bit of pre-planning it should be possible to select sites where TV reception is possible with a fair to good probablility. (A call to the site owners to check reception may be worth doing in some places?)

In my view the 530/550 aerial with amplifier is about as good as you will get on a caravan/motorhome and will give you a reasonable chance of good results. Remember to cant over to vertical if watching the smaller relays.

I tend to use a compass for approximate pointiing direction then use my Freeview HD PVR's manual tune and signal strength/quality meter when checking reception on arrival. That allows accurate aerial pointing for 'maximum smoke' (quality and strength - quality being slightly more important). You my in the highland find strong reflections rather than the direct signal. . . but that will usually be poorer quality and may be variable. . . hence the compass to know which way the aerial points is correct!

You may find, though, that if TV reception is unavailable, so too will be mobile phone signals! (EE's web coverage checker can help in planning selecting the sites you go to).

Finally, that bit of Scotland is one of the first areas to be undergoing the latest frequency clearance re-planning and re-tuning process http://www. digitaluk. co. uk/operations/700mhz_clearance

Thanks rodders and everyone else. It takes time to post answers and they are truly appreciated, thanks to all.

Thanks rodders and everyone else. It takes time to post answers and they are truly appreciated, thanks to all.

Don't forget to save or print out anything you find useful as the Forum Software Update will delete anything written in the last week-ish at some unspecified future time. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/124342-please-read-forum-software-update/