Sign in to follow this  
NobbyTucker

Repositioning Truma En61-ds Replacement Regulator In Locker

Hello,

I'm a returning caravanner after a 10 year break!

I'm rapidly learning that out are the clip on bottle gas regulators (£5 each and £1 to replace the pipe) and in are £20-70 bulkhead regulators, £10-35 pigtail pipes and multiple regulator failures with contaminated gas!

I have a Truma EN61-DS regulator fitted, of uncertain manufacture year, but assuming it is original (on my newly purchased 2004 Elddis Avante Xscape) it will be 13 years old and overdue a change at 10 years. My pigtails are 2006 manufactured so will be changed at the same time.

Having read numerous posts, it seems that positioning the regulator as high up in the gas locker as possible, burning off gas when leaving a site and installing stainless steel pipes are all winners!

I'm going to get myself a new regulator and fit it, but would really like to also re-position as currently it is mounted mid-way up the locker and below the top of the cylinder. Is there an extension pipe (it looks like 8mm) or another easier way of moving the regulator upwards please? :)

Nobby

2004 Elddis Avante Xscape

I agree with Dave. Truma don't deserve to make a fat profit out of our misfortune to have been sold a caravan with one of their dodgy regulators (I know they are made by GOK but Truma branded). If ours fails I will fit the Cleese regulator.

Thanks Dave and I'm thinking of getting either a Clesse or one of these https://www. leisureshopdirect. com/gas/caravan-gas-fittings/gas-regulators/bulkhead-mounted-gas-regulators-30-mbar/cavagna-8mm-right-angle-30-mbar-gas-regulator-for-8mm-pipe

The argument that the regulator needs to be fitted as near to the top of the gas locker, so that the oil doesn't drain into it from the bottle, sounds convincing? Is there an easy way of extending the copper pipe?

Thanks Dave and I'm thinking of getting either a Clesse or one of these https://www. leisureshopdirect. com/gas/caravan-gas-fittings/gas-regulators/bulkhead-mounted-gas-regulators-30-mbar/cavagna-8mm-right-angle-30-mbar-gas-regulator-for-8mm-pipe

The argument that the regulator needs to be fitted as near to the top of the gas locker, so that the oil doesn't drain into it from the bottle, sounds convincing? Is there an easy way of extending the copper pipe?

The 'oil' is result of using rubber inner in the pigtail. Stainless pigtails have a stainless inner (corrugated* to provide some flexibility) and, therefore, there should be nothing to drain back.

Quoting from Gaslow "If your regulator is same height or lower than cylinder valve. . . make sure hose falls lower than the inlet before it connects to the regulator" This quote is not for the 'oil' issue - just to prevent any re-condensed gas falling back into the regulator - a very slim chance apparently.

So rather than extending your pipework, get a longer SS pigtail.

*technical term is 'wriggly'

Edited by SamD
  • Like 1

As mentioned elsewhere I use the Cavagna, one of the reasons I chose this was because it is two stage like the Truma whereas some others are single.

Hello,

I'm a returning caravanner after a 10 year break!

I'm rapidly learning that out are the clip on bottle gas regulators (£5 each and £1 to replace the pipe) and in are £20-70 bulkhead regulators, £10-35 pigtail pipes and multiple regulator failures with contaminated gas!

I have a Truma EN61-DS regulator fitted, of uncertain manufacture year, but assuming it is original (on my newly purchased 2004 Elddis Avante Xscape) it will be 13 years old and overdue a change at 10 years. My pigtails are 2006 manufactured so will be changed at the same time.

Having read numerous posts, it seems that positioning the regulator as high up in the gas locker as possible, burning off gas when leaving a site and installing stainless steel pipes are all winners!

When my regulator was replaced, the vertical pipe underneath it was replaced with a longer one to reach the higher position. It is just ordinary copper pipe of a standard size. If you are not competent you really should get it done. The original pigtails were alright for length.

I'm going to get myself a new regulator and fit it, but would really like to also re-position as currently it is mounted mid-way up the locker and below the top of the cylinder. Is there an extension pipe (it looks like 8mm) or another easier way of moving the regulator upwards please? :)

Nobby

2004 Elddis Avante Xscape

Sorry that my contribution has appeared as part of your original post, but hopefully it's clear enough!

The 'oil' is result of using rubber inner in the pigtail. Stainless pigtails have a stainless inner (corrugated* to provide some flexibility) and, therefore, there should be nothing to drain back.

That's interesting Sam! I had understood the oil to be a contaminant in the gas bottle, rather than rubber pigtail breaking down. So on that basis Stainless Steel is the answer to this problem. Thank you.

When my regulator was replaced, the vertical pipe underneath it was replaced with a longer one to reach the higher position.

Thanks - also really interesting. I wonder whether Samd is right and it is the rubber breaking down? Or if the oil is a contaminant in the gas (as I had read elsewhere)? Or is everyone right and the caravan industry doing a 'belt and braces' approach to holding the regulators trousers up!!? :)

As mentioned elsewhere I use the Cavagna, one of the reasons I chose this was because it is two stage like the Truma whereas some others are single.

Yes thanks, I read that in my pre-post research, which put me onto Cavagna in the first place. :)

Thanks - also really interesting. I wonder whether Samd is right and it is the rubber breaking down? Or if the oil is a contaminant in the gas (as I had read elsewhere)? Or is everyone right and the caravan industry doing a 'belt and braces' approach to holding the regulators trousers up!!? :)

I really couldn't say. But I am of the opinion that I was much better off with the old system where I could carry a spare regulator and replace one in a couple of minutes. Not that I ever had to because they seem to last indefinitely. I've got a collection some of which go back to well before I was camping and I've been at it over fifty years. They all seem to work just fine.

Calor issued Info Bulletin in October 2006 which said that and I quote 'the major cause is re-condensed gas extracting plasiticisers from the high pressure rubber hose and depositing a resulting oily substance into the regulator preventing it from passing gas' (not wind!)

A SS pigtail gets rid of the oil issue but still leaves the remote chance of re-condensed gas entering the regulator which could cause the swelling of the valve seats. That is why a longer SS pigtail is the easy answer to solve both problems

Just in case anyone not sure, download the Gaslow Brochure on the left side of the following link and then read page 9 - covers all the points I mentioned and more.

http://www. gaslowdirect. com/Gaslow-Products

Edited by SamD
  • Like 1

We must be lucky. The original Truma bulkhead regulator in our Bailey is still working fine despite being attached via a rubber pigtail (changed a few years ago and probably due a change again next year).

It is located higher than the gas bottle tops and there's always a downward slope to the bottles. We use Calor butane in this country and ELFI butane in France.