Any 2018 Model News Yet?

Have just been reading the Practical Caravan article.

https://www. practicalcaravan. com/news/47071-new-for-2018-coachman-caravans

(i) Not too sure about the Coachman 'monobrow' that seems to be stuck on the front of the VIP. The way it overlaps the side panels looks a bit clunky to me. Doesn't look like a study in integrated design although the shape may well deflect the water better than the current channel arrangement (and should not accumulate as much debris).

(ii) What do people make of the new gas cylinder compartment on the nearside? For some time I have been meaning to get one of the Reich measuring devices to weigh the individual sides of my existing 520/4 when loaded as I'm sure that the current design must place a disproportionate amount of the van's weight on the nearside (ie all the kitchen equipment is nearside as is the under seating storage location for bedding etc). The new design - potentially moving the two gas canisters from a central, to nearside, location - would seem to exacerbate that issue.

(iii) And i'm not sure what to make of the laundry bin concept in the wardrobe? It looks as though there is a loose bit of veneer to cover it. But the wardrobe floor in our van is fully covered with shoes when we are away so there is no way we would be fighting through the hanging clothes and scrabbling to move shoes around at the back of the wardrobe to access the laundry bin. The tall locker midships serves that purpose very well for us.

But will reserve judgement until I've seen the beasts in the flesh in October.

Hi all, for those that are interested, which most of you probably are, there is a short video on YouTube for the 2018 models. It's by the same guy that did the video for the 2018 Swift models.

I do apologise, but I can't get the link to work off my tablet, but a search on YouTube for either Andrew Ditton, or Coachman Caravans 2018 first look. It was filmed on the 6th July, happy viewing.

• Like 3

Anyone got any specs of coachman structual build . . All I can find is the ABC (Advanced bonding construction) but can't find any details of the materials used within the body. . Exterior, interior walls materials and floor, though given the high gloss and pressed ridges on the exterior walls, I would imagine these are aluminium.

Must admit that the new VIP is a very nice looking caravan ;)

The only thing I can find about the construction, is that it's bonded like Elddis, but instead of using timber in the construction, they use polyurethane like Swift. The sides are indeed aluminium, but that's all I can find out about the floor is that it's bonded with internal supports for strength, but no mention if it's ply or GRP.

The only thing I can find about the construction, is that it's bonded like Elddis, but instead of using timber in the construction, they use polyurethane like Swift. The sides are indeed aluminium, but that's all I can find out about the floor is that it's bonded with internal supports for strength, but no mention if it's ply or GRP.

Thanks for the info . ..

Because the link with Swift was talked about above I wondered if they used a GRP inner wall and GRP outer floor skin. . The alloy outer walls looks good but much prefer GRP due to being dent resistant.

As said the VIP looks a vey nice caravan, but maybe Coachman's bodies need upgrading to the later materials and less wood, unless their quality is good, hence the 10 year guarantee. ;)

I'm not too sure about the twin locker design as I like to put long items like the windbreak in there. I don't tend to leave gas cyclinders in the front anyway as they contribute too much nose weight, so I always take them out and put them over the axle. What I would like to see is a gas locker in that position, on the opposite side to heavy items such as cooker etc, rather than at the front. I think Bailey did this at one point (do they still?) I think it is a good design given the weight and is much more accessible.

Coming up with new designs must be quite a difficult task for all manufacturers as they attempt to come up with one that is considered to be THE one to have. Just think of all the innovations over the last 10 years alone. Some have proven so popular other manufacturers have adopted them i. e. Swift introduced the Panoramic Window which is now copied by others. Baileys AluTech was marketed as the best construction method since sliced bread but hasn't really changed the market that much, unless it can take credit for the latest bonded systems etc. I think manufacturers are starting to look at outward appearance more than practicality now which probably sells more but I would like to see more innovative practical designs than what we are getting. The Twin Lockers are simply to give more space inside which might be a good thing IF that results in the van being lighter.

• Like 1

I'm not too sure about the twin locker design as I like to put long items like the windbreak in there.

Yes, I'm really not convinced. In my front locker, aside from the gas canisters, I have (i) a large bucket in which sits the blue and pink toilet chemicals, a sponge and bathroom cleaning spray, (ii) a bag containing the fresh water hose, extension hose and Aquaroll float valve, (iii) a bag containing various lengths of grey waste, (iv) plastic watering can, (v) small box containing sundry waste plumbing fitments, (vi) motor mover handle, normal steady winder, drill extension and spirit level. I wait to be convinced that this lot will go in the new left hand locker. Several of those items can get a bit 'wiffy' and I really wouldn't want to transport them in the car or in the van.

I quite like the locker layout, I only ever travel with one gas cylinder and can utilise both lockers with "Outside stuff" . . If the centre section of the locker area is being used to reduce the impact of the centre chest and more internal space that's OK . . I carry sea fishing rods 9ft, parasols, windbreakers and a cleaning mop pole, all of which would have to find a home either under a fixed bed or front seat box and all are in water proof bags "Bags4everything" . .. . To be honest I've always had to reduce my storage at the front of many caravans to keep the nose weight inline.

If the caravan interior suits are needs and is aesthetically pleasing we will adapt to storage areas but the main point to us now is durability and quality, so if we can get to all these requirements . . Happy Days . . I wont hold my breath though ;)

As a side note on the front lockers . .. one thing I did notice on the video was the terrible "kink" in the water seals to both locker apertures.

Edited by Silverback

I'm very interested in the VIP 650 twin axle, looking forward to seeing that at the NEC in October. I'm looking to buy a new caravan for 2018 and probably will stick with Coachman.

Just had a look at the VIP 460 at Spinney, price 24k plus, since l changed my Clubman SB for a 2014 VIP, l am more impressed with the Combi heating system than the Alde' which now is fitted in the 460 VIP. l know l will ruffle a few feathers but as far as l am concerned the Combi is a lot more quieter. If we were to upgrade in the future it would be a coachman. But l think now the 2014 VIP will have to last a while longer that price is frightening me

Heethers
Lunar Clubman SB
07 ShogunSWB

Not too convinced that 2 x 6KG gas bottles on one side and then lighter stuff on the other side would give good stability, but I suppose the "designers" have thought it through ( ;)) Nor the laundry sack in the wardrobe. It looks like they have ditched Thetford toilets for Dometic in the VIP's, but kept them for the cooker and fridge. I see the silly sink is still being used.

The exterior is more pleasing but would like to see what space you have on the off side front locker, I can not see my money changing hands for the new 2018 VIP from what I have seen so far, TBH,

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Disappointed with the 460 VIP Bathroom lay out, bad news Dometic toilet had loads of trouble in my Clubman SB wit one poor flush flush packed up toilet had to be taken out to rectify, Lunar now gone back to thetford, go online and look at the reports. The large wardrobe has gone at the expense of the shoe warming cupboard at the door, Lost expanse of the Bath room compared to my 2014 VIP. Not sure about the gas lockers, must admit it looks the business from out side. Don't think l will be willing to pay in access of 24k for a 2 Birth but could wait for a couple of years and look at a secondhand one

Heethers
Lunar Clubman SB
07 ShogunSWB

Disappointed with the 460 VIP Bathroom lay out, bad news Dometic toilet had loads of trouble in my Clubman SB wit one poor flush flush packed up toilet had to be taken out to rectify, Lunar now gone back to thetford, go online and look at the reports. The large wardrobe has gone at the expense of the shoe warming cupboard at the door, Lost expanse of the Bath room compared to my 2014 VIP. Not sure about the gas lockers, must admit it looks the business from out side. Don't think l will be willing to pay in access of 24k for a 2 Birth but could wait for a couple of years and look at a secondhand one

Agree with you about Dometic, my Dometic toilet has had numerous problems especially the electrics, the Dometic fridge is also another pet hate of mine, I've had to change the 240v element at £50+ & been disgusted at the shocking build quality where normally you wouldn't look. The prices for replacement are unbelievable, over £1500 for a100 litre fridge, ridiculous, the toilet spare prices are eye watering too.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

I bumped into a chap onsite a few moths back and he was struggling with the Dometic toilet in his Lunar, with numerous repairs being carried out. He was changing to a new lunar and happy they'd gone back to Thetford.

• Like 1

The dometic in my lunar lasted 1 week from new packed up on the second week of its first trip out the dealer found the loom was faulty tried to cut the problem out by splicing in the top half lasted all of a day and half. Dometic admitted they had fitted some faulty looms, only option toilet out and replace the loom, l insisted on a uprated pump which eventually they agreed to. The toilet looks the business with the ceramic bowl but to empty it is a struggle no handle to hold it to tip up. has l have said loosing good part of the bathroom for a drying cupboard is retro step for me.

Heethers
Lunar Clubman SB
07 ShogunSWB

Just looked at the 2018 VIP's today, really impressed with the new style front lounge. Well done Coachman.

Are there any weights listed yet ?

Looking at this video below the end twin front lockers seem enable the front chest to sit further back into the body, unlike the new Bailey Unicorn which seems to protrude more than the outgoing model.

Every time I see this VIP on the net I'm liking it more and more and it must have the best interior to-date. Are there any Coachman owners out there with honest opinions on quality and durability of Coachman's, because the wife's badgering me to go and view one when they hit the forecourts.

http://www. caravanfinder. co. uk/caravanfindertv/series/7/16-coachman-swift-caravans

Edited by Silverback
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 26/08/2017 at 18:16, Silverback said:

Every time I see this VIP on the net I'm liking it more and more and it must have the best interior to-date. Are there any Coachman owners out there with honest opinions on quality and durability of Coachman's, because the wife's badgering me to go and view one when they hit the forecourts.

Hello Silverback, Went to the NEC on Monday, with no intention of buying a caravan, as only bought  our Coachman VIP 560 back in 2016, but had a look as the new Coachman VIP 575 (2018) model and bit the bullet. And ordered this new model.  We have been very pleased with our Coachman, had zero problems with it. When buying last year, I asked the some service mangers which caravan they like to work with, they all said the Coachman, because they have the least problems to deal with, that sold them to me.  Disappointed that the Solar panel, is not included but is an extra, not that we used it on a none electric site (field), we only use electric hook up sites. , so probably would not need it anyway.  Anyway tell the wife we recommend Coachman, and then hide your wallet. :-)

5 hours ago, Gadger65 said:

Hello Silverback, Went to the NEC on Monday, with no intention of buying a caravan, as only bought  our Coachman VIP 560 back in 2016, but had a look as the new Coachman VIP 575 (2018) model and bit the bullet. And ordered this new model.  We have been very pleased with our Coachman, had zero problems with it. When buying last year, I asked the some service mangers which caravan they like to work with, they all said the Coachman, because they have the least problems to deal with, that sold them to me.  Disappointed that the Solar panel, is not included but is an extra, not that we used it on a none electric site (field), we only use electric hook up sites. , so probably would not need it anyway.  Anyway tell the wife we recommend Coachman, and then hide your wallet. :-)

Congratulations !   . .. Hope you enjoy your caravan . .. We ordered a new Unicorn in the end, multiple reasons, but main ones being the weight, dealer location and roof assembly.

Here's to problem free caravans . .. Everything being crossed . . lol

Edited by Silverback