Hi

I have a problem with the front window seal on my 2007 Hymer Nova 570, under very heavy rain a slight trickle gets past the top of the seal and runs down the inside of the window, it does only happen under a deluge. The seal is not visibly damaged but it is happening none the less.

I have tried to turn the window catch plates round to pull the window in tighter but it put too much strain on the catches and so I had to put them back again.

I am resolved to now changing the seal and am quire confident in my ability to do this. However I now find that my panels are 32mm and this is not a readily available size(not at all really).

I have requested 30mm samples from Seals Direct to see if they will stretch without deforming. Does anyone have experience in dealing with window seals, is this likely to work, will they stretch the extra 2mm ?????

I have also found a German website with 31mm seals for Hobby caravans but there is almost no info available. I cannot tell what size the bubble is, mine are quite small, only about 10mm, would it be a huge problem if the bubble was too large, say 15mm ???

Ian

I will be no consolation to you but I had exactly the same problem with my 2007 570, never did find a resolution, so good luck.

Tuck a pencil or 6 mm bit of dowel across the lower seal where the drip ends up! Drag it down to pull a drain point in the seal.

Have you scrubbed away the gunge of detritus that can accumulate in the upper seal's lip; mine gets a lot of build up each season, much of it yew leaves in spiders webs as the garden has a huge tree.

I have not had it on the front but it sometimes happens on either side front end windows. If I leave the van out of its carport I pull and leave in place a cable tie across the lower seals there to ensure any water drains the right way; it can go for months and not occur then every so often one side or other does.

My seals look like they are bonded in so there is no way I would take on cutting them out for the amount of issue my problem is.

Edited by JTQ

Thanks for the replies.

In what part of the country did you part with your Nova Fred and approx when, I'm just wondering if I have your old van. There was a little discoloration on the veneer under the window which suggested to me that there had been an issue but I couldn't get any reading on my Protimeter so I assumed whatever had occurred had been fixed.

That's a clever idea JTQ regarding creating a drain point. Yes I have cleaned the seal and it was a bit mucky but otherwise looked OK, it did have a little trickle again however after I cleaned it. The seals are quite normal fitted with mastic on the outside inner edge and shouldn't be a problem to replace if I can get the correct seal ??

I'll email Hymer see if they can tell me what seals they used originally

Ian

I believe that our Nova is currently for sale in Kent. To add to what JTQ said it got the feeling that having the window on night setting allowed for drainage. But it was unpredictable sometimes it appeared that water poured in other times in appeared not to leak at all. There didn't appear to be any rhyme or reason.

It seems to be a common problem I used a twist sandwich bag tie to create a tiny gap for the water to drain and put a 90 bend at the top to hold it in place. They do seem to hold a lot of gunk at the top and clearing this and cleaning the seals seems to cure it for a bit, I bought some seal rejuvenation spray but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

In seem to recall watching Ed China fixing a leaky seal on an Aston Martin by poking thin hollow rubber tube into the top vent hole.

Hymer 545 Luxusline hauled by Audi SQ5 plus.