Sign in to follow this  
sampvt

Touring Scotland

My wife and I have an autosleeper clubman and plan on invading Scotland. We aim to leave Leeds and head for seahouses, then on to Berwick and after that, Scotland here we come. Problem is we havent got a clue where to go. Some time ago we were told to do the 500, which from all accounts, is a route round scotland. If anyone out there knows what this route 500 is supposed to be, please let us know.

failing that, does anyone have a tried and tested route that might help us out. We aim to do the top end of scotland then down to Larne and get the ferry over to Ireland and do Ireland after a few weeks in Scotland.

Thanks in advance, Sam

Have a look at my post Scotland

We done 38 days the opposite way but it could be reversed or part of it

Rob

sampvt,

You won't disappointed with the 500, but anywhere up the west coast and north of Glasgow is really worth exploring, go all the way up to Durness, myriad wonderful places to visit on the way, how much time do you have ? :D, enjoy.

John

sampvt,

You won't disappointed with the 500, but anywhere up the west coast and north of Glasgow is really worth exploring, go all the way up to Durness, myriad wonderful places to visit on the way, how much time do you have ? :D, enjoy.

John

Not sure if samvt is a first-timer to Scotland but it's a very varied country with gems among it's cities and industrial heritage and then there's the countryside and scenery - a circumnavigation along the coast will give a wonderful tour but would miss out all that's great away from the coast.

I think the best advice is to buy a copy of the "Rough Guide to Scotland" and then take it one site at a time.

IMO, the two best places are Edinburgh and Mull.

To advise properly we need to know for how long you are going?

ie, you could rush around and do The Route or you could spend a few days in various placed and have time to enjoy the scenery and sights.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago we did a similar trip but in reverse to what you have planned. From Berwick (on Tweed?) there is a nice Club site at Scone near Perth, altho' it did take a bit of finding, then onto the M&CC at Morvich,, for Skye, Plockton etc then onto the C&CC site at Glencoe with its stunning views and handy for Fort William, Glen Nevis and some of the Islands. Finally the Kenmore CL at New Galloway from which you are within easy reach of the ferry port at Stranraer for Northern Ireland. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago we did a similar trip but in reverse to what you have planned. From Berwick (on Tweed?) there is a nice Club site at Scone near Perth, altho' it did take a bit of finding, then onto the M&CC at Morvich,, for Skye, Plockton etc then onto the C&CC site at Glencoe with its stunning views and handy for Fort William, Glen Nevis and some of the Islands. Finally the Kenmore CL at New Galloway from which you are within easy reach of the ferry port at Stranraer for Northern Ireland. Hope this helps.

Think that just about it covers it but give the C&CC at Glencoe a miss is my advice and Book yourself into Invercoe nr Glencoe village. You can walk to the village from the site with in ten minutes. Glencoe C&CC is a far greater distance and will probably have to take your tug. Lovely wee Coffee Bar/Restaurant in the village and not mad rip off prices 10 minutes away. For the more energetic 20 to 30 minute safe walk to Ballachulish. Large CoOp and the Laroch Bar/Restaurant. Just amazing food and friendly welcoming atmosphere. Glen Coe Hotel is nearer but they all wear Dick Turpin masks and are part of a chain. Very poor, very poor indeed. ...

GAS. ... B)

My wife and I have an autosleeper clubman and plan on invading Scotland. We aim to leave Leeds and head for seahouses, then on to Berwick and after that, Scotland here we come. Problem is we havent got a clue where to go. Some time ago we were told to do the 500, which from all accounts, is a route round scotland. If anyone out there knows what this route 500 is supposed to be, please let us know.

failing that, does anyone have a tried and tested route that might help us out. We aim to do the top end of scotland then down to Larne and get the ferry over to Ireland and do Ireland after a few weeks in Scotland.

Thanks in advance, Sam

I started a thread on Scotland on July 3rd after yet another washed out trip. My advice? If you don't like rain, find another place to tour.

In answer to some questions, we are taking our van but not the scooter, so we are stripped down to basics. We aim to be away for around a month and like a couple of days at each stop but we might do stopovers along the way. I guess we need to buy a book or something showing us the route and where to stop en route to make it a success. Ive looked on the 500 site and they want between £15 to £250 but I cant see anywhere what we get for the money in terms of what each payment covers.

In answer to some questions, we are taking our van but not the scooter, so we are stripped down to basics. We aim to be away for around a month and like a couple of days at each stop but we might do stopovers along the way. I guess we need to buy a book or something showing us the route and where to stop en route to make it a success. Ive looked on the 500 site and they want between £15 to £250 but I cant see anywhere what we get for the money in terms of what each payment covers.

There's an interactive map on the site.

http://www. northcoast500. com/interactive-map. aspx

On that page there's a search facility where one of the filters is "Camping and Caravan". You also filter by "Area".

As far as I am aware you don't need to pay for access to above.

We did that route 2 years ago not knowing it was called the 500.

If we did it again we would stop for a few days at certain locations -

Inverness, visit Culloden and Fort George.

Dunnet Bay

Durness

Ullapool

We wouldnt go to Scotland without driving Glen Coe and Braemar.

Also, remember the slower you go the better you will see some fantastic scenery.

We've toured for 5 weeks this year and will return to Kintyre and Ullapool next year (and we travel over from Spain!).

Edited by bubble2015

We did that route 2 years ago not knowing it was called the 500.

If we did it again we would stop for a few days at certain locations -

Inverness, visit Culloden and Fort George.

Dunnet Bay

Durness

Ullapool

We wouldnt go to Scotland without driving Glen Coe and Braemar.

Also, remember the slower you go the better you will see some fantastic scenery.

We've toured for 5 weeks this year and will return to Kintyre and Ullapool next year (and we travel over from Spain!).

Get yourself down to Killiegruer, Glenbar next time you are in Kintyre. Fairly basic shore side site. Pitches right at the edge looking over Jura and Islay. Little remote but a good half hour walk on the beach to the nearest hotel which served no bad pub grub the last time I was there.

Thanks GAS

We spent 6 days at Killiegruer and it wasnt nearly long enough.

Its one of those sites that is so good you want to keep it to yourself!!!

We will be back next year for a couple of weeks.

(Are you the guy that has been there for 3 weeks every year for the last 12 years? lol.)

Thanks GAS

We spent 6 days at Killiegruer and it wasnt nearly long enough.

Its one of those sites that is so good you want to keep it to yourself!!!

We will be back next year for a couple of weeks.

(Are you the guy that has been there for 3 weeks every year for the last 12 years? lol.)

No not me but think I know the auld boy. .... It is a wee gem . Think Ancell one of our CT members goes pretty regular . .. Used to be a regular visitor when Wee Smeesh was toddler and was very friendly with two elderly couples who were there seasonal. Played Pictionary into the wee hours coupled with "a wee goldie", great laughs, great times. Sadly there all away in the caravan site in the sky. Pass it regularly doing my part time HGV when down in Campbeltown. Been using Machrihanish Bay recently simply for the Bus Service and wifi but Killegruer is still one of my top 5 favourite sites.

• Like 1

We've just finished our holiday in Scotland and won't be back until next year.

Thought I'd post the names of all the good sites at which we stayed and which we would recommend.

Glasgow (near), Luss C&CC Site

Kintyre, Killigruer Caravan Site

Oban, North Ledaig Caravan Park

Resipole, Resipole Park Farm

Isle of Skye, Kinloch Campsite

Invergarry, Faichmard Site

Pitlochry, Milton of Fonab

Edinburgh, Drummohr Holiday Park

Now back in England where it is still raining!

How was Killiegruer ? Going to Kintyre this Friday still swithering between Machrihanish or Killi ? Mind next year and get to Invercoe. Only 30 minutes from North Ledaig . ... Suns out now . ... B):rolleyes:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh
  • Like 1

Thanks GAS, thats another site on the list for next year.

Killiegruer was as wonderful as you and we know. Absolutely amazing jewel in the crown!

• Like 1

Thanks GAS, thats another site on the list for next year.

Killiegruer was as wonderful as you and we know. Absolutely amazing jewel in the crown!

Did you set up your wifi at Killigruer by any chance ? How was your telly reception ? Appreciate some don't bother when on site. I'm still 50 / 50 where to go. Can get the bus into Campbeltown right enough from Bellochantuy and will most probably return via taxi as I'm sure the Campbeltown Music Festival will see to that, me being unable to walk . ... . :)

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

We've just finished our holiday in Scotland and won't be back until next year.

Thought I'd post the names of all the good sites at which we stayed and which we would recommend.

Glasgow (near), Luss C&CC Site

Kintyre, Killigruer Caravan Site

Oban, North Ledaig Caravan Park

Resipole, Resipole Park Farm

Isle of Skye, Kinloch Campsite

Invergarry, Faichmard Site

Pitlochry, Milton of Fonab

Edinburgh, Drummohr Holiday Park

Now back in England where it is still raining!

We used Muasdale on Kintyre, smaller than Killigruer but same fantastic view.

North Ledaig is a huge eyesore if seen from across the bay at Benderloch

We liked Resipole and Faichemard but they're best visited outside the midge season!

• Like 1

Did you set up your wifi at Killigruer by any chance ? How was your telly reception ? Appreciate some don't bother when on site. I'm still 50 / 50 where to go. Can get the bus into Campbeltown right enough from Bellochantuy and will most probably return via taxi as I'm sure the Campbeltown Music Festival will see to that, me being unable to walk . . . . . :)

Internet was very slow and only one or two internet companies have a service, seem to recall O2 had a signal. We are on Spanish-roaming so were able to choose the network.

TV was just OK we connected to Irish stations!

Enjoy yourselves!

does anyone k ow if there are any lpg stations on the route

does anyone k ow if there are any lpg stations on the route

A few round Inverness, then going anti-clockwise it's Dornoch, near Wick and nothing until Ullapool http://www. drivelpg. co. uk/i-have-lpg/find-a-filling-station/

Internet was very slow and only one or two internet companies have a service, seem to recall O2 had a signal. We are on Spanish-roaming so were able to choose the network.

TV was just OK we connected to Irish stations!

Enjoy yourselves!

Thanks again Bubbles. .. Jury is still out. I think I will go to Killigruer. The idea right on the shore appeals to me for this trip. Shall only go into Campbeltown on the Saturday. Couple of curers on the Sunday in the Ballamickmurchy Hotel as I call it, early night home on the Monday. ... Lovely . ... We will see. .... ;):rolleyes:

• Like 2

We are just about ready to go now but the final and big question is whether or not to take the scooter on the back or should we save weight and leave it behind. Do we really need one up there as we will be parking and exploring different places as and when we land. Would we really need to unhitch the scooter and drive for miles. Has anyone any experience of this issue. Did you go and wish you had bikes with you or did you never see the need for a bike or scooter.