I have come across a website that could prove useful for those of you planning a journey into/through France and it could save you a few bob too. The site is prix-carburants. gouv. fr it gives you the opportunity to search a location, an area or a journey by putting in the start and finish points. The journey option could be especially useful when having to fill up en route in a strange area.
Bon Voyage.
(Sorry, don't know how to make the address a live link)

I use this website too and find it very useful.

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

We've used it for a few years too. Be careful though because the companies vary their prices by the day, but register their prices on a particular day each week so you can't take the price on the web site as gospel.

Ern

We've used it for a few years too. Be careful though because the companies vary their prices by the day, but register their prices on a particular day each week so you can't take the price on the web site as gospel.

I've watched it carefully. Buy your fuel mid week if possible as prices go up at weekends. Just as prices in the market go up as the tourist season gets into full swing.

John. :D

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Both very valid points Ern and John.

The date information is updated is always shown so you can always check if one service station shows cheaper or more expensive fuel than elsewhere.

The basic rule is NEVER fill at a motorway service area just as in the UK

Look for a supermarket, either 24/7 credit card variety or attended. We keep an eye out when site seeing or shopping and simply fill the car before moving on. With a mileage of around 400 available when full and towing we can usually be sure not to need topping up en route.

Prices are prices and making special journeys to save a bit at the pump can be counter productive.

We've just returned from 3,324 miles in France and paid 543. 82 Euros for fuel. Really can't complain I think.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

I've watched it carefully. Buy your fuel mid week if possible as prices go up at weekends.

Strange, when I filled up yesterday at our local e. leclerc it was 4c a litre down from when I went past it on Thursday.

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

Strange, when I filled up yesterday at our local e. leclerc it was 4c a litre down from when I went past it on Thursday.

. ...and our local Super U regularly reduces fuel prices by a similar amount on Friday and Saturday!

Suffolk Coast, Bailey U3 Vigo, Hyundai Tucson Premium SE 2. 0

There are no hard and fast rules but this site gives a good comparison between sellers and the location of the likely cheaper places. Supermarkets are always the best value but they can vary too. Our local Intermarche is sometimes cheaper than Carrefour but usually they are the same price. I am not suggesting going out of your way just to buy fuel but if you don't know the area you are in, its good to know which supermarket has the best price and where it is.

I've found that the smaller supermarkets are often cheaper that their own brand hypermarket prices i. e. Carrefour Market and Simply Market(Auchan brand).

The unknown factor not listed when using French supermarkets is the size and angle of the exit from the pumps :unsure:

The unknown factor not listed when using French supermarkets is the size and angle of the exit from the pumps :unsure:

Good point! At some smaller supermarkets it can be quite tricky negotiating the exit when towing.

Suffolk Coast, Bailey U3 Vigo, Hyundai Tucson Premium SE 2. 0

Good point! At some smaller supermarkets it can be quite tricky negotiating the exit when towing.

Which is why I will avoid filling up hitched if possible.

Couple of years ago filled hitched and whilst filling a van had parked in such a way that I could not turn enough to exit the pumps. Only way out was to reverse which, thankfully I was able to do since only one car behind me and he saw the dilemma.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

We are over in the vendee at the moment and the prices are varying significantly.

Diesel at service station 1. 31 (v power diesel 1. 45)

Supermarket diesel ranging from 1. 17 down to 1. 11

I filled up at a service station because I had to en route, but now we are local so to speak it's going to make costs a lot more acceptable at just under a pound a litre

I've found that the smaller supermarkets are often cheaper that their own brand hypermarket prices i. e. Carrefour Market and Simply Market(Auchan brand).

Not in Brittany, yesterday our local Carrefour Market was 1. 17 and the big Carrefour 8 km away was 1. 11.

Like most things French, there doesn't seem a hard and fast rule about this.

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

And at some it is totally impossible. Google Earth gives a clue.

We saw one yesterday in an Aizenay Hyper U. Was actually parked up with their van on the back, not to fuel up but they had gone shopping. Only issue is that there is a really tight bend with rocks on the way out.