You are the first person I have heard of with 1st hand experience of this. Could you please explain what make of reducer; what failed and what the 'flood' was?

The van is currently at the dealers (damp again!), but I'm sure it is a Whale. It was when the van was quite new about 9 years ago. The pressure blew a couple of O ring seals associated with the water heater connections. The mains pressure was at my home and it is not particularity high. Because I was doing other jobs on the van to go away I was around to stop the flood quickly and the gas drain holes did their secondary duty! It was a fair while ago and a cheap ball valve in the aquaroll seemed a much better bet. In reality the only time I get the ability to hook up mains water is at home, I rarely go to sites that are serviced.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When we arrived at our long stay campsite in Costa Watsit a couple of years ago we realised that some dork had left the Aquaroll at home. The container in my pic was purchased from the nearest Ferete

Hopefully here are the pics promised of my current water container with valve installed.

Heres one I made earlier. This one held about 5L. I gave this one to a relative and made another which holds about 8L They are small enough to live in the front gas locker.

Posted Images

Post #7 also, as the service engineer dealing with the issue has "first hand experience of this".

I have converted a 12L water carrier for use on sites with water connection. It has a large screw cap so inserting the float valve was easy. When filled up to the float level it holds about 9L. When we're using sites without water connection just for en route stops, we find that simply filling the 12L carrier at the nearest tap gives us adequate hot/cold water for our needs. We have a second 12L carrier for use as a waste container. These 2 carriers sit together quite nicely in the front gas locker and weigh next to nothing. When we know we're going on sites for a few days with no services at the pitch, we take the Aquaroll and Wastemaster, but leaving these large and heavy containers at home when we're on long trips is much better as it frees up a lot of space.

Ern

The van is currently at the dealers (damp again!), but I'm sure it is a Whale. It was when the van was quite new about 9 years ago. The pressure blew a couple of O ring seals associated with the water heater connections. The mains pressure was at my home and it is not particularity high. Because I was doing other jobs on the van to go away I was around to stop the flood quickly and the gas drain holes did their secondary duty! It was a fair while ago and a cheap ball valve in the aquaroll seemed a much better bet. In reality the only time I get the ability to hook up mains water is at home, I rarely go to sites that are serviced.

Thanks Chris, that's useful. I have used a Whale direct mains for many a year and, I thought, they were the only manufacturer who had stated failsafe was 'closed' position. My only van leak was when using ball valve during the marriage ceremony of Prince William! No inference drawn!

Each to his own!

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Hi all

Well thanks for all the replies, it does appear to be quite a can of worms doesn't it. However even if there are only a couple of replies with genuine first hand experience of this being an actual possibility then in my book my question has been answered and I will be sticking with a ball valve in my aquaroll. Thanks for the replies.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using an Aquaroll with the ball-cock cut off device fitted when on a full service pitch. I've been reading about the direct connection hoses from Truma and Whale and their does seem to be divided opinions on their merits and pitfalls.

What I want to know though is; does any one have any experience of both the Truma Ultraflow Mains Waterline and the Whale Aquasource and which one is better if at all?

Thanks.

2016 Coachman VIP 575/4: 2018 Kia Sorento GT Line S.

I'm using an Aquaroll with the ball-cock cut off device fitted when on a full service pitch. I've been reading about the direct connection hoses from Truma and Whale and their does seem to be divided opinions on their merits and pitfalls.

What I want to know though is; does any one have any experience of both the Truma Ultraflow Mains Waterline and the Whale Aquasource and which one is better if at all?

Thanks.

I've been using an Aquasource for 10 years now with no problems

• Like 1

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Stick with what you have, I have heard horrendous tales on site and on this forum, however, there are a lot of them about, the system that is

• Like 1

Les

I like the simplicity of the direct feed, but not taking the risk, so use the ball cock type. I'd still be carrying the Aquaroll anyway, so may as well have it sat outside the van as trying to store it somewhere.

• Like 2

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

For some reason Admin locked my previous post despite my question not being answered!

I had pointed out that I was aware of people's mixed opinions about these devices. I was not inviting further debate on their pros and cons, my question was:

"Does any one have any experience of both the Truma Ultraflow Mains Waterline and the Whale Aquasource and which one is better if at all?"

I understand the Whale uses an adapter to fit the Truma system.

The reason I'm considering one of these is after experiencing a problem on a full service pitch recently. The pitch was slightly sloping resulting in the water inlet of my caravan being level with the top of my aquaroll. This caused a kink in pipe of the Truma Ultraflow pump and subsequent flow problems. I just want to be prepared for all eventualities.

Thank you.

Hi,

I have no personal experience of either the Truma or Whale water pressure reducing devices, however as you already have a ballcock fitted to your Aquaroll (allowing it to self-fill on a super-pitch) I fail to see the advantage of changing. Additionally you can still use the Aquaroll independently where mains water supply is not available on the pitch.

With your present system, in the event of a failure of the ballcock, the worst that can happen is that you flood the ground around your outfit. In the event of a failure of a pressure reducing device the implication is that mains pressure water could flood inside your caravan. This is something I do have experience of with our RV, as it has an onboard water pressure reducer that failed last year, and trust me, you do not want to be doing as I did and strip out behind the loo and under the bed to dry things out. The "city water" inlet has now been disabled and I rely solely on the low pressure supply from the tank now.

Gordon

For some reason Admin locked my previous post despite my question not being answered!

Admin comment:

Please note that several threads on the same subject have been merged into this one.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

"The reason I'm considering one of these is after experiencing a problem on a full service pitch recently. The pitch was slightly sloping resulting in the water inlet of my caravan being level with the top of my aquaroll. This caused a kink in pipe of the Truma Ultraflow pump and subsequent flow problems. I just want to be prepared for all eventualities.

Thank you.

The point I'm trying to make is that I had a problem recently and want to be prepared in case it crops up again. Using my Aquaroll with ball-cock will always be my first choice for safety's sake. However, I don't know if it's something specific to coachman but my water inlet seems lower than many others I've seen. The caravan on the pitch next to me was using an Aquaroll but the height of the water inlet point on that was higher and the pump hose near vertical. If my pitch had been only slightly steeper the only way I could have got water would have been to dig a hole to drop my aquaroll in or turn the van around. Neither a satisfactory solution really.

Just a thought, can I use my Aquaroll on its side, chocked so it doesn't roll away, with a hose connection and ball-cock. ?

Thanks.

The point I'm trying to make is that I had a problem recently and want to be prepared in case it crops up again. Using my Aquaroll with ball-cock will always be my first choice for safety's sake. However, I don't know if it's something specific to coachman but my water inlet seems lower than many others I've seen. The caravan on the pitch next to me was using an Aquaroll but the height of the water inlet point on that was higher and the pump hose near vertical. If my pitch had been only slightly steeper the only way I could have got water would have been to dig a hole to drop my aquaroll in or turn the van around. Neither a satisfactory solution really.

Just a thought, can I use my Aquaroll on its side, chocked so it doesn't roll away, with a hose connection and ball-cock. ?

Thanks.

It doesn't matter whether your caravan inlet is above or below the top of the Aquaroll.

Ern

It doesn't matter whether your caravan inlet is above or below the top of the Aquaroll.

I'm sorry Ern but it does matter. As I have explained, the inlet pipe on the Truma Ultraflow kinked and almost cut off the water flow. Fortunately I was able to move the aquaroll far enough from the side of the van to straighten the hose enough but the pump itself was barely submerged. If the front of the van had been any closer to the ground due to the slope I would have been unable to draw water.

I'm sorry Ern but it does matter. As I have explained, the inlet pipe on the Truma Ultraflow kinked and almost cut off the water flow. Fortunately I was able to move the aquaroll far enough from the side of the van to straighten the hose enough but the pump itself was barely submerged. If the front of the van had been any closer to the ground due to the slope I would have been unable to draw water.

I fully understand your dilemma but turning the Aquaroll on its side would seem to me to probably make the situation worse. The position of the usual Aquaroll outlet would make it very difficult to fit a ballcock valve, as the the normally top outlet, where the ball valve would be fitted, is too close to the side of the water container.

I have carried out experiments to find the optimum position of siting an Aquaroll for regular use, without a ball valve, and believe that despite your caravan inlet being higher than the water container it should be possible find a position where the inlet tube does not kink and the pump touches the bottom of the water container, though you may find that the water container is some distance from the caravan side.

7DSCF2200

Section of Truma pump assembly

Edited by DeeTee

The problem you will have turning the Aquaroll on its side is that when the side outlet is at the top for your pump to be inserted the top outlet is then at the lowest point on the side, so you will retain very little water to draw off.

The Water hog is different with the side connection in the right place and would allow you to get sufficient water stored to draw off.

IMG_0951.PNGIMG_0950.PNG

I fully understand your dilemma but turning the Aquaroll on its side would seem to me to probably make the situation worse. The position of the usual Aquaroll outlet would make it very difficult to fit a ballcock valve, as the the normally top outlet, where the ball valve would be fitted, is too close to the side of the water container.

I have carried out experiments to find the optimum position of siting an Aquaroll for regular use, without a ball valve, and believe that despite your caravan inlet being higher than the water container it should be possible find a position where the inlet tube does not kink and the pump touches the bottom of the water container, though you may find that the water container is some distance from the caravan side.

Thanks DeeTee. I was trying to picture it in my mind but you've answered that query for me so I won't bother trying.

The problem I had was due to the top of the Aquaroll being almost level with the water inlet. When I moved the Aquaroll away from the caravan to remove the kink the pump was barely under water due to the ball-cock only half filling the container. There never has been any problem when I'm not using the ball-cock.

The problem you will have turning the Aquaroll on its side is that when the side outlet is at the top for your pump to be inserted the top outlet is then at the lowest point on the side, so you will retain very little water to draw off.

The Water hog is different with the side connection in the right place and would allow you to get sufficient water stored to draw off.

attachicon.gifIMG_0951. PNGattachicon.gifIMG_0950. PNG

Thanks Grandpa Steve. I think Aquaroll missed a trick there. I'll have to have a look at a Waterhog.

This problem has never happened to me before as it's the first time I was on a pitch with quite a slope.

Edited by SCP1959

That's odd, I replaced our barrel in 2010 with what I thought was a 40l Aquaroll, and the top & side fill openings are on the same side.

Please can someone confirm whether or not a 29L aquaroll has a side opening please?

Please can someone confirm whether or not a 29L aquaroll has a side opening please?

I believe the side fitting is only on the 40L as my old 29L did not have one and the 40L spout is bigger to accept the higher flow pumps.

But reading this it says they are OK for mains water so they must have added them to the newer models

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Hitchman-29AQ-015-Aquaroll-Liter/dp/B0029D1KSM

Edited by kiaboy

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I think there are two versions as there are lots for sale on ebay that don't appear to have a side opening. After a lot of thought I've decided against getting a direct mains connection.

I'm considering one of these for when I'm on a full service pitch https://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/product/B00L4VPAO0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41Hw0n5ZS1L.jpg

I want something smaller than my 40L Aquaroll after my problem with the sloping pitch. It also seems daft to use the Aquaroll when it's only ever half full with the mains adapter fitted. I will still keep it for use it on a dry pitch though.

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions

I think there are two versions as there are lots for sale on ebay that don't appear to have a side opening. After a lot of thought I've decided against getting a direct mains connection.

I'm considering one of these for when I'm on a full service pitch https://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/product/B00L4VPAO0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41Hw0n5ZS1L.jpg

I want something smaller than my 40L Aquaroll after my problem with the sloping pitch. It also seems daft to use the Aquaroll when it's only ever half full with the mains adapter fitted. I will still keep it for use it on a dry pitch though.

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions

As most boilers only have a capacity of 10 litres, and I would not have thought you would not be pulling that much through the cold tap to empty it, so looks like that would be perfect as the aquaroll would only be just below 1/2 full anyway. Only thought is will your pump fit in the top spout hole?

Edited by kiaboy
  • Like 1

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

I hope this may be of interest to someone. Having decided not to buy a whale or Truma direct water connection I went ahead and bought the 23 litre container as above. This will save weight and size compared to my 40 Litre Aquaroll when on a full service pitch.

Moving on, I've always thought the loose fitting blue rubbery cap fitted to to the Truma Ultraflow submersible pump was pretty useless at keeping rainwater and creepy crawlies out of my water container. After a bit of thought I came up with the idea of using a stretch CV-Joint gaiter to do the job, £3. 99 from ebay. Bit of a struggle to get it on but I wrapped the pump unit in a plastic bag and a liberal dose of Fairy liquid helped. I've kept the original blue cap on just in case the gaiter doesn't work as planned and it increases the tightness of the seal on the water pipe.

post-77255-0-08848700-1503598841_thumb.jpg

post-77255-0-55387000-1503598852_thumb.jpg

Edited by SCP1959

I hope this may be of interest to someone. Having decided not to buy a whale or Truma direct water connection I went ahead and bought the 23 litre container as above. This will save weight and size compared to my 40 Litre Aquaroll when on a full service pitch.

Moving on, I've always thought the loose fitting blue rubbery cap fitted to to the Truma Ultraflow submersible pump was pretty useless at keeping rainwater and creepy crawlies out of my water container. After a bit of thought I came up with the idea of using a stretch CV-Joint gaiter to do the job, £3. 99 from ebay. Bit of a struggle to get it on but Fairy liquid helped. I've kept the original blue cap on just in case the gaiter doesn't work as planned and it increases the tightness of the seal on the water pipe.

I like your innovation, however, too tight a seal and you create a vacuum, it may need a breather hole on the gaiter, but I guess any problems would show up very quickly and a fix would be very easy, a hole on the underside of the bellows would prevent rain ingress, creepy crawlies ??? :unsure: