Sign in to follow this  
Odd days

Trading In Or Sell To Dealer

Has anybody done better selling a caravan to one of the people who advertise to buy your caravan rather then px it. Do not fancy the hassle of selling private. Cheers

Has anybody done better selling a caravan to one of the people who advertise to buy your caravan rather then px it. Do not fancy the hassle of selling private. Cheers

They generally offer well below the market price. I assume that they do the same for caravans as what they do for cars as we had that issue with our car which we sold privately for £1000 more than they offered us. From what I have read of other peoples experience is that they offer you a good price over the phone, but when they come to inspect the caravan they find all sorts of non issues and then offer a pittance.

• Like 2

I did approach one of these companies some years ago to test the waters when selling a car. The derisory amount offered persuaded me to keep the car. Four years later I traded that same car, now with many more miles on the clock, against a replacement car, for significantly more than I had been offered earlier. Lesson learnt.

I think it unlikely you'll ever get a good deal from a 'buy your caravan unseen' company as they operate in the same way as the 'buy your car unseen', or 'buy your house unseen' companies. They offer you a price that is likely to give 'them' a profit, not you.

Gordon

• Like 1

I sold my caravan earlier this year and being my usual impatient self thought I could get it sorted quicker and easier using one of these companies. I contacted three companies, one of which never bothered to respond. Both companies quoted almost identical amounts which were £3000+ below what I ended up selling it for privately. I just had to curb my impatience and wait for a buyer.

Their method of operation seems to be to exploit the occasional mug who has not taken the time and effort to research the value of their van or that needs the cash really fast. Some are just normal caravan dealers with a slightly different hat on and using it to obtain used stock. Others are businesses in themselves who then tout the van round dealers or through auctions and they obviously have to sell on in order to make a profit. That has to be at a price that allows the dealer to eventually make money too. So with extra profit takers in the business model it's no wonder their valuations are low.

If you want the best price sell privately and you should net at least £1,000* more than PX or selling to a dealer.

*Depending on the age/condition of the van. Estimates are made on the basis of previous experience and may not comply in all circumstances. Values may reduce or increase. Market forces not withstanding. Have a nice day.

Both they and the dealers are in one business only. Making money, fine I did the same when in business. They do not have to make it out of you however.

For each and every van we have changed for decades now we have followed the same route. Once decided upon what we want, ( not what the dealer is trying to sell us) we got a trade in from the dealer. Always after they have seen our van and put it in writing. If it's not in writing then it's not worth the paper it's written on, so to speak. Then we get a price for the new van if we do not trade in. Usually that has been cheaper.

Then and only then do we have the sums in our head to know if selling private is going to be worth it. Some times it has made us £1000s. Other times it has not been worth the effort to us. On one occasion the dealer offered well over the odds as he had a waiting list for our trade in mod

Usually with a new van we have had to wait months for delivery which has given us ample time to sell

i just sold mine privately two weeks ago. I was kind of expecting the worst but i advertised it for free on gumtree and within 6 days, it was being used by someone else and i achieved a really good price. All you need do is spend some time on an honest and comprehensive advert and price it accordingly. I was really pleasantly surprised. the buyer actually paid before collecting it and seeing it!

Do not go near the "we buy any caravan" type people.

They will offer you a stupidly low offer, then drop it even more when you show up and they look at it and suddenly discover damp where it has never been before !!!!!

I did enquire from one such outfit and laughed when the guy offered what he did.

I sold the van via Gumtree for £8000 MORE than offered by cowboy.

Edited by Brecon

We always sell our Motorhome or Caravans privately. Gumtree and Preloved for caravans and the Motorhome sold quickly through one of the Club's Classifieds. I would not go near any of those "We buy any caravans" organisations.

I got over a third more selling private (caravan finder and eBay ads )to what a "we buy" offered a couple of months ago .

They are out to make a high profit from desperate sellers .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

So far that is nine replies where seven say don't use "we buy any . . . . ." companies. I will add my vote to that quarter so now there are 80% saying don't do it and the others hardly singing their praise.

I believe that says it all so I wish you good luck with selling your caravan for its true value.

Rallier.

• Like 1

I bought mine through a dealer who was selling it as an 'on commission' transaction,he didn't want it in his stock but was quite happy to sell and service it for owner. Worked out well for all parties.

geoff

p. s. He also bought mine to resell.

Edited by shipbroker

A +1 for Gumtree. We sold our 20 year old van within a week for the full asking price to the first person who viewed it after being offered a very small sum by the dealer for part exchange.

Thanks all, I will stick with trading in on px then. I am not the best selling privately, just not cut out for it. Cheers.

I bought mine through a dealer who was selling it as an 'on commission' transaction,he didn't want it in his stock but was quite happy to sell and service it for owner. Worked out well for all parties.

geoff

p. s. He also bought mine to resell.

+1, I sold my motorhome this way. It's win/win/win:

- no difference to buyer versus buying any other 2nd hand van from a dealer

- dealer fills his lot with no capital expenditure and makes on the commission

- as a seller, no hassles/risk compared to private sale. You pay commission, but that's against a higher selling price than would be achieved privately. ..overall I'd estimate perhaps 1 or 2% down compared to selling privately (ie coppers).

I have recently had to give up caravanning due to age and infirmity. I sold my 2014 Swift Challenger Sport back to the dealer from whom I b ought it new. He gave me £11,000 and it is probably worth a few thousands more. However, the money was in my bank two days later and I didn't have the hassle of advertising it and hoping there would be no problem with payment.

• Like 1

I have recently had to give up caravanning due to age and infirmity. I sold my 2014 Swift Challenger Sport back to the dealer from whom I b ought it new. He gave me £11,000 and it is probably worth a few thousands more. However, the money was in my bank two days later and I didn't have the hassle of advertising it and hoping there would be no problem with payment.

The only 514 on Autotrader is being offered by a dealer at £15,250, though they seem to have omitted the Model Year so it may be a later one.