We've had our Snipe 2 a few weeks over a year, had a few issues but was just about happy enough. However last week in Cornwall it died, stuck up in the air, no response to controller no test programs, nothing.

Having contacted our supplier it seems there are major issues with this system to the extent that a lot of dealers/ technicians will no longer fit or have anything to do with them due to the amount being returned.

just a bit of a "heads up" really.

• Like 1

Are you going to try and get a refund on it because if you have had a number of problems with the unit there is a possibility of a refund. PM me if you want.

Are you going to try and get a refund on it because if you have had a number of problems with the unit there is a possibility of a refund. PM me if you want.

The problem i have is the installer purchased it from Megasat in Germany,He offered 12 months warranty on the Labour with a 2nd year manufacturer warranty which i have to return it to them .

The fella who installed has been more than helpful but as we are 3 weeks over the 12 months initial warranty he won't touch it, then the horror stories start coming out, I posted it back to Germany on Friday and requested it not be returned due to the number of issues as it isn't fit for purpose, and be replaced with something that is.

See what happens.

That is the problem with purchasing from Germany, something goes wrong and you are stuffed. ... that why we chose to pay the extra £100 and purchase our snipe 2 from Avtex who have an excellent service record

• Like 1

That is the problem with purchasing from Germany, something goes wrong and you are stuffed. . . . that why we chose to pay the extra £100 and purchase our snipe 2 from Avtex who have an excellent service record

I wasn't aware it was from Germany, I'm still saying he supplied, he should sort it.

I wasn't aware it was from Germany, I'm still saying he supplied, he should sort it.

BTW if I remember correctly electronic goods purchased in EU also have a 2 year warranty however you are correct that it is up to the supplier to remedy the issue as your contract is with the supplier. Next time go for the Satfi RV twin. It may cost more, but we were able to use it as far down as Valencia in Spain for Sky channels but not for channels like BBC, ITV etc. If you do not use Sky and will only be using in the UK go for the smaller units.

BTW if I remember correctly electronic goods purchased in EU also have a 2 year warranty however you are correct that it is up to the supplier to remedy the issue as your contract is with the supplier. Next time go for the Satfi RV twin. It may cost more, but we were able to use it as far down as Valencia in Spain for Sky channels but not for channels like BBC, ITV etc. If you do not use Sky and will only be using in the UK go for the smaller units.

We do use Sky and take the sky box from home. The snipe was the first time we've had fixed Sateliite.

Like most of this caravanning "adventure" you live and learn, think you've got it right and wallop.

Originally we went for the Snipe as it had such good reviews and the price was about £500, but we could not get the Snipe twin so went for the Satfi RV twin unit which cost us £1250 from ACDCTV in Hereford and it was fitted by the same installer. No real issues with the unit. Now the same unit costs £1275 before fitting and fitting is an additional £200.

• 5 weeks later...

so, 4 weeks after i posted it back to Germany at my expense of £61, megasat have emailed today saying they want 298euro to "repair" it.

disappointing.

so, 4 weeks after i posted it back to Germany at my expense of £61, megasat have emailed today saying they want 298euro to "repair" it.

disappointing.

Very disappointing. The initial cost alone put me off the Snipe although I came close to buying one! Instead I bought a new mini dish, tripod and SF500 finder which all came to £59. Glad I did now.

• Like 1

on a Motorhome forum I belong to there have been numerous posts about Snipe satellite systems failing within the first 24 months .

If you want quality system with a good guarantee you need to buy Oyster from Ten Haft or Crystop Autosat both German made the latter having a 5 year warranty .

2019  Pilote Pacific 650 GJ  sensation for European touring

2018 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz towed by a 2018 Kia Sportage GT Line s Auto 182bhp

for the UK

disappointing.

If it is under warranty, why do they want €298 to repair it as if I remember correctly that is over 50% of the cost of the unit. BTW under CRA 2015 it is the responsibility of the supplier to resolve the issue. If you can show it is an inherent fault i. e. others have gone faulty with the same issue then claim a full refund under Section 20 and 24 of CRA 2015. Either that or walk away and buy another reputable system as suggested previously. We are happy with our Satfi RV twin unit which came with a 3 year warranty.

If it is under warranty, why do they want €298 to repair it as if I remember correctly that is over 50% of the cost of the unit. BTW under CRA 2015 it is the responsibility of the supplier to resolve the issue. If you can show it is an inherent fault i. e. others have gone faulty with the same issue then claim a full refund under Section 20 and 24 of CRA 2015. Either that or walk away and buy another reputable system as suggested previously. We are happy with our Satfi RV twin unit which came with a 3 year warranty.

From the OP it states it was a couple of weeks out of warranty.

From the OP it states it was a couple of weeks out of warranty.

A warranty is over and above the protection offered by CRA 2015 so in this case warranty is meaningless as CRA 2015 over rides any warranty. Why do people makes such a big deal about warranties as most cases would not apply anyway? They are only a marketing tool and nothing more.

A warranty is over and above the protection offered by CRA 2015 so in this case warranty is meaningless as CRA 2015 over rides any warranty. Why do people makes such a big deal about warranties as most cases would not apply anyway? They are only a marketing tool and nothing more.

+1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

When the snipe was installed it was by a uk installer who purchased it from Megasat in Germany. It came with 12 month warranty on the labour and 24 months on the snipe.

It failed a couple of weeks outside the first 12 months of the warranty. The installer now wants nothing to do with it and it is down to me to sort it with Germany for the 2nd year warranty. As said above theres lots and lots failing.

The snipe failed in the upright position and could not be laid flat to be posted in the original case, many emails were sent to Megasat explaining this and pictures provided. It was packaged in a large cardboard box and well packed(what else can you do?)

I rang (Germany)one week after posting to confirm its arrival, and yes it had arrived.

I rang once every week to pursue how it was doing, never a problem, just more time needed.

Having received the notification of cost of repair i rang Germany today to find out what was happening. The warranty work has been carried out but they are saying the 298 euro is for cost of repairs from damage in transport.

This has never been mentioned before, i requested photos of the damage which were immediately sent, and yes for sure its damaged.

I have argued the point big time with them today, and basically told "tough, not our problem".

Edited by 6206greg

I don't know, but you were the one who said "If it is under warranty" - You tell us!

When the snipe was installed it was by a uk installer who purchased it from Megasat in Germany. It came with 12 month warranty on the labour and 24 months on the snipe.

It failed a couple of weeks outside the first 12 months of the warranty. The installer now wants nothing to do with it and it is down to me to sort it with Germany for the 2nd year warranty. As said above theres lots and lots failing.

The snipe failed in the upright position and could not be laid flat to be posted in the original case, many emails were sent to Megasat explaining this and pictures provided. It was packaged in a large cardboard box and well packed(what else can you do?)

I rang (Germany)one week after posting to confirm its arrival, and yes it had arrived.

I rang once every week to pursue how it was doing, never a problem, just more time needed.

Having received the notification of cost of repair i rang Germany today to find out what was happening. The warranty work has been carried out but they are saying the 298 euro is for cost of repairs from damage in transport.

This has never been mentioned before, i requested photos of the damage which were immediately sent, and yes for sure its damaged.

I have argued the point big time with them today, and basically told "tough, not our problem".

Did you send it insured? If so can you go after the courier for damages?

Did you send it insured? If so can you go after the courier for damages?

It was delivered on the 25th July, I don't think I would get very far.

Hmmm I wouldn't be too happy with the manufacturer either then in that case! They should have informed you it was damaged on delivery.

I would have thought that it would have been the responsibility of the supplier, in this case the installer, to remove it and send it back to Germany at their cost? Unfortunately a bit late for this however hopefully the thread makes other people aware of their rights under CRA 2015.

I don't know, but you were the one who said "If it is under warranty" - You tell us!

I apologise as my post was not directed at you, but to a general audience. The reference to the warranty was the one that came with the unit that a manufacturer should honour anyway and if they do not then CRA 2015 applies.

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 1

Why not if you have the photographic evidence from the people they delivered it to?

As for CRA2015 then as it's over 6 months old YOU have to provide proof that it was faulty when it was delivered to you. Could be difficult. However if you paid by credit card you may be able to get a full refund.

Why not if you have the photographic evidence from the people they delivered it to?

As for CRA2015 then as it's over 6 months old YOU have to provide proof that it was faulty when it was delivered to you. Could be difficult. However if you paid by credit card you may be able to get a full refund.

Correct however the following would apply;

Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

However it now appears that the unit was damaged in transit so a new ball game.

It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

And after six months it's the buyer who has to prove it !

Does CRA15 have any time limits built in - bearing in mind the fault occured over two years after supply etc?

Another option might be the small claim court? against the supplier.

Edited by Mallah

Correct however the following would apply;

Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

However it now appears that the unit was damaged in transit so a new ball game.

Took advice this morning and seems I've made the mistake of posting it back myself, lesson learnt,ignore the warranty talk and the lies you are told regarding them.