Whats The Daftest Thing You Have Done (caravanning Wise)

On 25/09/2019 at 10:57, Alan Stanley said:

Done it again.

Daughters 50th Birthday party.  Staying at Chertsey about150 miles from home and we always stay on a site nearby.  As we do this trip about a dozen times a year we can pack in our sleep for it. 

Parties these days have a 'theme'  this one - 'It'll be all white on the night '  Daughter and family are all 'theatrical types'  So over the last few months I've been dragged hither and thither for a White / Cream outfit.  

SWMBO took about 6 as she couldn't make up her mind until the afternoon of the do.  My white shirt (suitably fasionable) and new trousers looked the business.  As did the white socks.  

"Where's your new trainers ?"  In the boot of the car I replied.  Searched the car - negative.  Searched the van - Negative.

The Look.  Well it's too late now you'll just have to wear your best shoes, where are they?  Timorously I replied "At home didn't think I would need them with new trainers. 

The look.  "What shoes have you got with you?"   These said I pointing to the 2 year old trainers, used for everyday i.e. Knackered.

The look.  

Actually nobody mentioned my shoes and the party was a huge success.  On return I looked for my new trainers and found them in the boot of the car.  The other car ( Her shopping trolley as I call it) that is.  Where I now remember, at her insistance,  putting them so that She could transfer them into the van as we packed.  Do you think I should point this out?

As always Alan - brilliant!

I think this has been mentioned before, but you should write for a living. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the 50 plus years I've been at this game I freely admit to just about every mistake in the book and many that just aren't.   Many of them apply to systems that are consigned to history now and si

Probably one of the daftest things I have done was back in 2001 when I agreed to help moderate a new venture called "Caravanning Online"; later to become "Caravan Talk". Even dafter was agreeing to be

Hi all after reading the posts about leaving the jockey wheel down, which it appears most of us have done at least once. I thought I would ask the question above. My daftest thing is when leaving a

Posted Images

Daftest thing I've ever done caravan wise.....hmm, probably buying one!

Used  to enjoy lovely warm sunny holidays in Greece and Croatia, now I sit with the wife in a field in the rain :( .

No, i'm not bitter.

Cold this morning as we were packing up to move, in the Spanish Sierras.

Put everything on gas and 12v so I could wind up mains cable.

Came back into caravan and saw heating wasn't on. 

Puzzled over Alde controls and cycled through all the menus - didnt help - thought I'll have to sort this when we arrive at next stop.

Then realised Alde was on hot water override from us taking showers. Duh!!

Followed by winding route through Spanish village. Went over a kerb -couldnt stop  while on very steep hill - and broke a tyre. Hey Ho!

At least the Alde works!

I took notice of my satnav near Appleby, as I turned into this very narrow road I did see two signs saying not suitable for hgv. I thought I'd be OK, how wrong I was. The road got worse the more I carried on driving..... The final straw was the very narrow bridge, think it was 8ft width, luckily my caravan is 6 something nearly 7ft, wished I'd never took notice of the satnav. Plus there wasn't anywhere I could turn around, glad we didn't meet another vehicle along the way. I was so pleased to see the national speed limit sign at the end of this nightmare of a road. Note to my self, if you ever see the 7.5 signs at the beginning of the road you've just turned in. Don't even think about going down it..... 

• Like 2

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

Well yesterday was a catalogue of failure really, standstill on the a47 between swaffham and Norwich, lenwade for those that are familiar, I should mention at this early stage that the rain hadn't been too bad thus far, so naturally assumed an accident had stopped traffic flow, good old Google says there's a 1h 23m delay, and I was like well no the whole journey home to beccles takes less than that (we'd only been at kings Lynn) so I'll follow the phones alternative route.

Country lanes = yes 

6 foot 6 width restrictions on said roads = yes

Serious flooding on some roads = yes

Meeting a steady stream of cars coming the other way saying do not attempt where we've just come from because it's literally 3 foot of water flowing along the road like a river = yes

87 point turn into a farm gateway = yes

Back on the original route but a mile further back = yes

Finally getting past Norwich to find that the a146 is blocked for the same reason of a flooded road = yes

3 point turn into a garage forecourt that's on a slope, completely ground the back legs of the van out while in the middle of the (sloped) road =yes

Arrive home 5 and a half hours after we left to find the battery teetering on the edge of life as I'd left all the 12v lights on for the whole way =yes

And just to top it off, our friend who'd traveled from Southampton by train on Friday to come with us stuck at ours because of the rail disruption due to the flooding and as such she can't get home= yes.

Never ever again.

Edited by clarkey1984

We don't use the sat-nav to find alternative routes - my navigator who sits beside me with a map is far better. She can evaluate the best roads and work out the best routes and she's allowed us to escape from many a calamity on the roads. TBH shes even quicker than the sat nav , especially if it keeps trying to get you back on the pre-programmed route

However she isn't clairvoyant and probably would have got just as stuffed if the roads had been flooded.

• Like 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Daftest thing I have done in many years was to stop and chat with a guy about puncture prevention at last October’s NEC show AFTER I had purchased the awning I had attended the show for.

Nothing wrong with that I hear you say, however...........

Whilst I was discussing the merits or otherwise of this chaps product,  Mrs Plodd had become a little disinterested so had wandered off. When I moved on she was nowhere to be seen!!

As I was wandering past the open door of a nearby caravan (yes there were lots) her hand shot out of the door, grasped yours truely by the arm, dragged me inside and said

“Here, come at look at this dear” So (rather foolishly) I did.

Nice isn’t it? Was  Mrs P’s next utterance,

Yes says me, very nice, but I bet it’s pricey (yes I know NOW that was totally the wrong thing to say!)

No says SWMBO, it’s only £xxx.

Don’t be daft says me that cannot be right. At THIS point nice (cunning?) salesman chirps up

“Oh that’s the right price sir, and it includes all of the extras you see AND delivery so nothing to add to the price displayed”  The little tinker had already wheedled out of Mrs P what our current caravan was, And he had already worked out the trade in value. 

The rest you can work work out for yourself I am sure. Collection day was February.  

So after 6 months am I happy with my purchase??

Not half I am :D 

Andy

• Like 3
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

A few years ago now, we’ll about 35 so lesson learnt and never forgotten😂

Arrived at site, levelled up etc put the kettle on then threaded the waning into the rail. All going well until I asked SWMBO for the awning poles? Reply was what poles ? 😂😂😂😂😂

we or I had not packed them and left them at home! 2 hour round trip to retrieve. LESSON LEARNT,

Not bought a motor mover with our new van. Cue scraping and renting, damaged awning rail and skirt from Mr. D trying to reverse it through our clearly too tight gate posts. Damages claim currently going through our insurers. Why oh why did we not get the Powrtouch right from the start; edging the van in now is like child's play. You live and learn.

• Like 1

Letting the in-laws look round the inside of the caravan to try and get across it's appeal. Only when they walked towards the back end of the (single axle) caravan did i realise the legs weren't wound down. It tipped backwards and they both screamed as they fell into the bathroom. They never wanted to go near one afterwards. 

• Haha 3

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Last year I arrived on site and filled the aquaroll plugged in the hose and after a couple of minutes started to wonder why the pump was running without any taps being turned on. 

I suddenly realised the shower was running, it wouldn't have mattered but for all our bedding stored in the shower cubicle. 

• Haha 3
23 hours ago, clarkey1984 said:

87 point turn into a farm gateway = yes

A few years back I took a wrong turn and had to do a very tight 14 point turn between a locked field gate and steep grass bank. There were 5 or 6 cars waiting and I got a round of cheers when I succeeded. I did think afterwards 'Why didn't I just use the mover'?

• Haha 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

13 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Letting the in-laws look round the inside of the caravan to try and get across it's appeal. Only when they walked towards the back end of the (single axle) caravan did i realise the legs weren't wound down. It tipped backwards and they both screamed as they fell into the bathroom. They never wanted to go near one afterwards. 

Mission accomplished you naughty boy ?

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

• 2 weeks later...

Daftest thing i ever did was on the day of leaving a site.After i had put everything away,i started to hitch up to the car.Because  our pitch was partly in a dip,on full height of the jockey wheel ,it still wasnt high enough to go above the tow ball.

So then i decided the only way to hitch would be to motor move the caravan on to flat ground,then hitch up.This i did and managed to connect up just fine.We all got in the car ready to pull away to leave,when i found we wernt moving.I noticed the grass was very wet and my front wheels were spinning.I had also checked the caravans hand brake was off.

After totally ruining the mats and still not able to pull away,wheels spinning like mad. I was convinced it was the wet grass that was causing me the grief.So i decided to unhitch and move the caravan on to the roadway.

It was then i realised why i couldnt pull away.I had left the motor mover engaged from the start! I rehitched back up and off we went.I wont make that misstake again..lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 22/10/2019 at 14:28, LG57 UPS said:

"It was then i realised why i couldnt pull away.I had left the motor mover engaged from the start! I rehitched back up and off we went.I wont make that mistake again..lol"

And of course none of us here has ever ever ever done such a silly thing, have we now....  wot, me???

On 07/10/2019 at 17:18, Mr Plodd said:

Daftest thing I have done in many years was to stop and chat with a guy about puncture prevention at last October’s NEC show AFTER I had purchased the awning I had attended the show for.

Nothing wrong with that I hear you say, however...........

Whilst I was discussing the merits or otherwise of this chaps product,  Mrs Plodd had become a little disinterested so had wandered off. When I moved on she was nowhere to be seen!!

As I was wandering past the open door of a nearby caravan (yes there were lots) her hand shot out of the door, grasped yours truely by the arm, dragged me inside and said

“Here, come at look at this dear” So (rather foolishly) I did.

Nice isn’t it? Was  Mrs P’s next utterance,

Yes says me, very nice, but I bet it’s pricey (yes I know NOW that was totally the wrong thing to say!)

No says SWMBO, it’s only £xxx.

Don’t be daft says me that cannot be right. At THIS point nice (cunning?) salesman chirps up

“Oh that’s the right price sir, and it includes all of the extras you see AND delivery so nothing to add to the price displayed”  The little tinker had already wheedled out of Mrs P what our current caravan was, And he had already worked out the trade in value. 

The rest you can work work out for yourself I am sure. Collection day was February.  

So after 6 months am I happy with my purchase??

Not half I am :D 

Andy

They all do that ‘SWMBO’ s that is. Been caught like that 4 times so far. 

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Always let the woman know who's boss.  There's no point kidding yourself

I'm not frightened of my wife - but I am frightened of upsetting her!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

Trying to find a CM in a French town. Couldn’t find it where the cc book said it should be so carried on into town only to see a sign for roadworks, max width 2m. Nowhere to turn round, queue of traffic behind me so I plough on. Got through the roadworks with about 1cm to spare each side! 

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Daftest thing I’ve done, could have been dangerous too.

Travelling from Yorkshire to the highlands we stopped off at a CL near Moffat to break the journey. During our first year of Caravanning after a 15 year break.

Had a pleasant night hitched the van up in the morning, took it steadily out of the site and was trundling slowly down a single track road when I felt a slight bump from the rear. Looking in the mirror to see the van suddenly stop as we carried on!....... oops, I’d not got the hitch on properly, not being used to the ball type stabilisers.

luckily the safety cable did its job and pulled the handbrake on before it snapped.

to add insult to injury I went and put my back out trying to lift it back on!.

we didn’t make it to to the Highlands, but cut our losses and went across to a lovely CL near Castle Douglas instead, after having to buy a new Jocky wheel!.

ive learnt my lesson now and always check it by winding down the jocky and lifting the back of the car an inch or so to check.

You live and learn as they say!.

23 hours ago, MalH said:

Trying to find a CM in a French town. Couldn’t find it where the cc book said it should be

Does this help?

http://www.camping-municipal.org

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

• 8 months later...

We were on a CL site near Penrith.  A lovely site near a stream with immaculate grass which the owner was very proud of. 

I backed onto a pitch and were beginning to set up when the owner came over and asked us to move to three pitches down because the one we chose was reserved and he forgot to tell us.

No problem.

As the van was still hitched I got into the driving seat and aimed for the pitch. After about fifty feet I thought the car was a bit sluggish so I stopped and about the same time I heard something like a distant wailing air raid siren. The wailing was being emitted by the running owner who was waving his arms and nearly crying at the sight of lovely straight twin furrows in the grass.

Oooooops. OH half and I helped him to flatten out the furrows and he was quite mellow after a couple of our wines. Naturally, I got the blame for pulling the handbrake on but I swear it 'Wasn't me gov. Honest'.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Time and time again, I forget to shut the drain valves for the on board tank and hot water tank before filling up - so much wasted water!

Ah! Just remembered another one for me.

Arrive on CL site.

Pitch.

Disconnect van from car and wind down steadies.

Out with power cable and unravel.

Connect car to caravan and wind up steadies.

Move caravan nearer EHU outlet.

Back into tree and crack indicator lens on caravan. (Navigator absent.) She was talking to a horse 100 yards away.:blink:

Unhitch caravan try to wind down steadies. No handle ??????

Connect car to caravan.

Move caravan wheel off the winding handle left on gravel.

Disconnect van from car and wind down steadies.

Try to plug in to EHU oulet.

Wrong plug.

Return to other end of power lead to pick up correct plug.

Trip over power cable .

Graze leg on gravel.

Apply plaster to staunch copious amounts of red stuff escaping.

Hobble to power outlet with correct plug.

Hear sniggering from caravan next door. (Gits)

Plug into EHU.

Plug into caravan.

No power.

Hobble back to EHU to check the RCD.

Joined by sniggering neighbour.

"Can I help you. I've had bad biorhythm days like you ",  he said handing me a a glass of wine. How kind.

He continued, " I've done the same as you in the past and were laughing at the memory of it". (Now not Gits)

The rest of the week was uneventful except for the self induced water leak - which is another story for another time