Whats The Daftest Thing You Have Done (caravanning Wise)

Hi all after reading the posts about leaving the jockey wheel down, which it appears most of us have done at least once. I thought I would ask the question above.
My daftest thing is when leaving a site (which shall remain nameless ) I took the toilet over to the emptying point, then got chatting to someone and put the toilet down. Went back to the van and left.
OK no worries you think, however we always leave the toilet with some 'blue' and 'pink' just in case we get stopped in traffic. Anyway a few days after getting home we had a bit of a party with a few folks staying over. We decided to sleep in the caravan which lives in our back garden to give friends our bed. I know you are ahead of me here but as I left the toilet waste tank behind you can imagine the results.
This resulted in me dismantling the rear of the caravan, wardrobe out, washbasin out, water heater out, shower. . . . . able to be left in fortunately. Floor covering lifted, cleaned and disinfected. Let to dry and disinfected again, and again, then everything replaced. Phew all was well.
Lesson learned. I'm sure someone can do better. What is the daftest thing you have done. . . . . . . . . .

• Like 9
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the 50 plus years I've been at this game I freely admit to just about every mistake in the book and many that just aren't.   Many of them apply to systems that are consigned to history now and si

Probably one of the daftest things I have done was back in 2001 when I agreed to help moderate a new venture called "Caravanning Online"; later to become "Caravan Talk". Even dafter was agreeing to be

Hi all after reading the posts about leaving the jockey wheel down, which it appears most of us have done at least once. I thought I would ask the question above. My daftest thing is when leaving a

Posted Images

Daftest thing I've done recently is to buy an air awning :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Buying my first caravan. ......

geoff

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Not the daftest thing but the most stupid thing. Took a wrong term in Austria and was confronted by a bridge with a large sign saying clearance 2. 3 m. No problem van is 2. 28 m. Wrong whoops no TV aerial. Stupid boy.

Hmm, you want daft? Our storage place is delineated with big concrete sleepers. Someone was standing on one last year while he took the cover off the van, looking up, not down. And fell off, landing fairly heavily.

Being a bit dim, all I thought was that my ankle would be sore for a day or so, so carried on, hitched up, towed home, loaded the van and set off for our weekend away. By which time my ankle was swelling nicely, and my wrist was aching too.

Only after getting set up did I realise it actually hurt quite a lot, and had kay take me to the nearest A&E. Who were very lovely, and told me I'd torn some ligaments in my ankle and broken my wrist!!

I did say I was a bit dim.

Oh, and the same weekend as above was our first venture off grid. Guess who had left the power on from the previous trip, so had a flatter than flat battery. And only found out when we got back from the hospital at near enough midnight. As I keep saying, a bit dim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While I'm on with being daft, we managed to leave the dog at home earlier this year. I thought Kay's put her in the car, she thought I had, and as she settles so well in the car, we didn't think twice until we got to site, opened the boot, and. ...no Ruby.

Fortunately, we were only an hour or so from home, so it wasn't too far to go back for her, she was fast asleep on her bed upstairs.

• Like 4

Once pulled the van off the levelling blocks without first removing the wheelclamp. Destroyed the wheelclamp but very little damage to the caravan! Wheelclamp then just lifted off.

Buying my first caravan. . . .. . .

geoff

You pipped me!

• Haha 1

Ern

Thought about buying a motor home.

• Like 2

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Doing a on the spot 180 degree turn with my twin axle tearing and plouging up the grass pitch to the Wardens delight. Caravan Club site as well. ..... :blush:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Guest Goforitt

Once pulled the van off the levelling blocks without first removing the wheelclamp. Destroyed the wheelclamp but very little damage to the caravan! Wheelclamp then just lifted off.

I also once drove off with the wheel clamp still attached and like you it destroyed the wheel clamp but didn't stop the caravan from moving. Just about confirms the effectiveness of a cheap clamp! The current one is much stronger but is really there more to look good and keep the insurance company happy than actually protect the caravan.

Goforitt

Took a left turn out of Baltic Wharf and left again meaning I had to squeeze a 7'6" wide caravan between the bollards that carried a sign stating "Max Width 7'6"".

It wasn't just the caravan that held its breath, made it without leaving anything behind :)

• Like 1

Didn't check the hitch was locked on the towball (it wasn't). New jockey wheel and repairs to car bumper required.

Didn't check the hitch was locked on the towball (it wasn't). New jockey wheel and repairs to car bumper required.

I'd forgotten the one years ago when we were leaving a site and went over a speed bump leaving the caravan behind. Luckily no damage to car or van, just my red face

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Left one steady down and ploughed a neat furrow right across the grass right to the campsite reception/ exit. Owner didn't like suggestion he could now lay some new services to the other side of the site in the trench. Spent ages backfilling the torn turf.

Drove off and left the caravan steps in position at another site. Discovered their absence when we stopped in an aire for a comfort break some time later. ...had to cobble together a structure to get the missus in and out of the caravan till we could buy a replacement.

Our caravan is housed in a large garage when not in use. Opened the large Heki to give access to clean the roof. Forgot to shut it and started to move the caravan outdoors. There are roof trusses at 3m. ...and shortly after, a smashed Heki as well.

I am desperately hoping the notion of bad things going in 'threes' holds true!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In the daft pot.

Was towing at easter to site, guy came alongside me and gestured that I had a rooflight slightly open. Wound the window down to thank him. Forgot that I had temporarily moved my tyrepal there to get the last tyre to wake up. You can guess what happened next, tyrepal took a trip on its own to the tarmac in the nearside lane.

And I've lost count the amount of times I put the steadies down, only to forget to line up the alko locks.

There will probably another one to add to the list when we go to France in 8 days time

• Haha 1

Really stupid - I once drove off with the caravan keys on the caravan a-frame cover! :unsure:

Really lucky - I found them still there after a two hundred mile motorway trip :blush:

I used to store the Aquaroll handle in the front gas(?) locker. Unfortunately it escaped through a gap in the floor somewhere on a French autoroute! Note to self - full Aquarolls are not easy to move without the handle.

A friend once arrived at a rally and moved his car after unhitching with the electrics still attached.

It's amazing how far a cable will stretch before all of the cores break - each at a different place along the length of the cable and we spent a longtime that weekend under his caravan rewiring the lot.

We had a caravan run into the side of our Perle Olympus at 7am once, where a neighbour (Mr Dopey?) had not correctly hitched his caravan, and it fell off the back of his towcar. I don't think I have ever got out of bed so fast !

Gordon.

• Like 2

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

I used to store the Aquaroll handle in the front gas locker. Unfortunately it escaped through a gap in the floor somewhere on a French autoroute!

Gordon.

That must be a massive hole in the locker floor, Gordon!

John

We had a mega storm in Lincolnshire it was 11 o'clock and we were supposed to be off site by then. . The rain wouldn't stop so we tried to hitch up . several people had a go at trying to get our electrics in . . . Half an hour later we were ready to go. . . . Pulled off up a long drive hit the first sleeping policeman and the caravan came off ( obviously not properly hitched!!) . . . The electrics were pulled out ( unusable ) we got soaked to the skin trying to pull the nose up as all our stuff had slid forward ( no it didn't occur to us to pull it out or move it back in the panic) and then we drove home with no electrics in the hissing rain . The thing is NO ONE beeped us or flashed to say we hadn't any electrics and it was a three hour journey home !!!

Oh and we were STILL soaking wet when we got home and went straight into the shower, clothes in the washing machine, towels into the car to dry the seats!

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

On a caravaning holiday based at Wyatts Covert, off for a day out in London from Denham station.

Just as the train was pulling out, someone in front of me said, "looks like someone's left their car keys on that bench"..... you guessed it. :(

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

At a Thetford forest site about 15 years ago. Car a Volvo S6 auto, caravan a Ranger 2000.

Hooked up, got in car to drive off, caravan brake on, got out released brake, car still in Drive.

Glad the undergrowth was thick enough to stop the car before it hit a tree.

Luckily the only damage was to my underwear.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

That must be a massive hole in the locker floor, Gordon!

John

The handle fell through a slot between the full width tray under the gas bottles and the front body molding, and out past the A-frame. I used to carry two 6kg gas cylinders, a spare wheel, the Aquaroll (with handle), a waste water container and assorted leveling blocks all in the front locker, yet still kept the noseweight below 100kgs because the axle was in the correct place to allow this. These days many caravans are near to the 100kg noseweight limit even when unladen rendering a front locker next to useless in practical terms.

Gordon

• Like 2

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.