Sign in to follow this  
Benchillian

Kampa Air Pro Water Leaks Cured

The guy who had my pro 330 before me reported it had started leaking through the roof though he had used it 6 months on a permanent pitch.

Since reproofing it was tested several times recently and not a jot came through, ok not what you'd expect buying brand new but I got mine used and it needed a clean.

What I did find was using a pad between top of airbeam and the van tensioned the roof and by a bit of beam movement stopped pooling.

• Like 1

The guy who had my pro 330 before me reported it had started leaking through the roof though he had used it 6 months on a permanent pitch.

Since reproofing it was tested several times recently and not a jot came through, ok not what you'd expect buying brand new but I got mine used and it needed a clean.

What I did find was using a pad between top of airbeam and the van tensioned the roof and by a bit of beam movement stopped pooling.

Yes, a few people have mentioned using a pad to tension the roof. I'll give that a try next time out. Thanks.

Yes, a few people have mentioned using a pad to tension the roof. I'll give that a try next time out. Thanks.

Going back to earlier comments the Isabella Magnum silver 400 will be released soon

Steve

Hi Jiffy

What was the pad made from ( I assume it was home made)

kot

pigs

Going back to earlier comments the Isabella Magnum silver 400 will be released soon

Steve[/quote

Blimey! I've just looked at the Silver 400 on Isabella's website, and it's exactly what we're looking for. It wasn't there a couple of weeks ago.

I can't find anything about release date or price, though. Do you know anything more?

Hi Jiffy

What was the pad made from ( I assume it was home made)

kot

pigs

Garden kneeling pad from £1 shop,just enough to cut three and same depth as purpose made ones.

Garden kneeling pad from £1 shop,just enough to cut three and same depth as purpose made ones.

brilliant. swmbo is going shoping today so she will get one. thanks for the info.

kot

pigs

Steve[/quote

Blimey! I've just looked at the Silver 400 on Isabella's website, and it's exactly what we're looking for. It wasn't there a couple of weeks ago.

I can't find anything about release date or price, though. Do you know anything more?

Steve[/quote

We saw the Silver at The Lawns show a couple of weeks ago, got the impression it was for sale at that time. ISTR I was told it was about £1500.

It looked a nice awning, midway between a porch and a full.

Ian

Thanks for that, Ian.

We saw the Silver at The Lawns show a couple of weeks ago, got the impression it was for sale at that time. ISTR I was told it was about £1500.

It looked a nice awning, midway between a porch and a full.

Ian

That is a proper porch awning. £1500 may seem a bit steep, but some of the better quality air awnings can cost £1000+ for a similar size. I know where I'd rather spend my money.

• Like 1

brilliant. swmbo is going shoping today so she will get one. thanks for the info.

kot

pigs

It was interesting to see when I took the awning down how much of an inset indent the tube had made on the pad.

This had the effect of pushing the centre airbeam just slightly more proud of the side two, what I then did was pushed the support beams up as far as they would go against the centre beam and as low as they would go against the outside.

This gave a run off direction. First downpour I had only done this on one side unintentionally, that side didn't pool, the other side with both ends pushed up did a little, once both outside support beams were moved as low, during the next downpour no pooling.

If I need to I still have the ability to follow the instructions given maybe earlier on this thread to roll the fabric around the airbeam but the pads did make a noticeable difference. It was not taught like poled awning taught but better.

It was interesting to see when I took the awning down how much of an inset indent the tube had made on the pad.

This had the effect of pushing the centre airbeam just slightly more proud of the side two, what I then did was pushed the support beams up as far as they would go against the centre beam and as low as they would go against the outside.

This gave a run off direction. First downpour I had only done this on one side unintentionally, that side didn't pool, the other side with both ends pushed up did a little, once both outside support beams were moved as low, during the next downpour no pooling.

If I need to I still have the ability to follow the instructions given maybe earlier on this thread to roll the fabric around the airbeam but the pads did make a noticeable difference. It was not taught like poled awning taught but better.

Very useful info, thanks. I'll try that next time out. I've fiddled about with the support beams before to see whether I could remove the ridge they cause, which seems to contribute to the pooling effect, but it didn't remove it. Never thought of having the beams lower on the outside.

Meantime, I called down to Glossop Caravans today, who told me the new Isabella Magnum Silver 400 is being released at the NEC show in October. So booked tickets this afternoon.

• Like 1

For anyone who might be interested. ..here's Isabella's reply to my e-mail:

"Thank you for your enquiry. We can advise that the New Magnum Silver 400 awning will be on display at the NEC in October. This model will be available from October 2018 and details on the prices will be available from our retailers from 1st October 2017."

For anyone who might be interested. . . here's Isabella's reply to my e-mail:

"Thank you for your enquiry. We can advise that the New Magnum Silver 400 awning will be on display at the NEC in October. This model will be available from October 2018 and details on the prices will be available from our retailers from 1st October 2017."

Is there a typo there? 12 months early seems to be excessive pre-launch marketing.

Is there a typo there? 12 months early seems to be excessive pre-launch marketing.

Completely missed that. I'm sure it's just a typo. I'll e-mail back to Isabella to check.

Yes it was a typo. Isabella have confirmed it will be available this October.

Noticed this topic a bit late. My Kampa Rally Pro 390 is now three full seasons old, used perhaps for 15 separate weeks and no leaks at all, despite some dreadful weather such as the Welsh gales in 12/14th September recently, also with 60mph winds. Occasional slight roof ponding depending upon the exact erection alignment (various a little each erection) and occasional condensation in last summer - all to be expected. Are we lucky? Haven't even thought about re-proofing.

Inflation by hand originally but now getting used to using Kampa's newish 2 speed electric pump which works well once one gets used to its a second or two thinking time after each button press. Usually go to about 8. 0 psi.

This year replaced the poor, bending, breaking springs type original caravan side poles with the larger diameter aluminium expanding/locking poles (like large expending hiking poles) - these are excellent, allow the bumper pads to be properly sealed against the van and well worth the money.

Cant be bothered now to erect the false ceiling - it reduces the natural light. Have no idea or evidence as to whether it minimises condensation.

Wish it wasn't so heavy, (mine being all in one piece) as it's not the easiest to slide into the awning rail and erect with just one person. Certainly the wife could not do this on her own.

Nothing is perfect though!

Noticed this topic a bit late. My Kampa Rally Pro 390 is now three full seasons old, used perhaps for 15 separate weeks and no leaks at all, despite some dreadful weather such as the Welsh gales in 12/14th September recently, also with 60mph winds. Occasional slight roof ponding depending upon the exact erection alignment (various a little each erection) and occasional condensation in last summer - all to be expected. Are we lucky? Haven't even thought about re-proofing.

Inflation by hand originally but now getting used to using Kampa's newish 2 speed electric pump which works well once one gets used to its a second or two thinking time after each button press. Usually go to about 8. 0 psi.

This year replaced the poor, bending, breaking springs type original caravan side poles with the larger diameter aluminium expanding/locking poles (like large expending hiking poles) - these are excellent, allow the bumper pads to be properly sealed against the van and well worth the money.

Cant be bothered now to erect the false ceiling - it reduces the natural light. Have no idea or evidence as to whether it minimises condensation.

Wish it wasn't so heavy, (mine being all in one piece) as it's not the easiest to slide into the awning rail and erect with just one person. Certainly the wife could not do this on her own.

Nothing is perfect though!

No, not lucky, this is normal. Only the ones who complain come on here. The silent majority have no problems, that goes for virtually anything in life.

The latest version has doors that zip out totally, and because I struggle to lift the whole thing into place on my own, I remove the doors when I take it down and only zip them back on once the whole thing is half erected.

This also makes folding and packing into the bag easier.

• Like 1

No, not lucky, this is normal. Only the ones who complain come on here. The silent majority have no problems, that goes for virtually anything in life.

I actually do hope it is normal. From the many replies to this and related threads about Kampa Air awnings, I'd guess a majority do not have problems with them. I wish I was one of them. I like almost everything about the design. Sadly, mine, and others', leaked badly. We would not have complained otherwise.

Just bite the bullet and buy a Magnun coal 250 carbon fibre poles, great quality,  no trouble at all.  

• Haha 1

On 09/08/2017 at 22:32, The Simpsons said:

Just been informed that Kampa have tested the awning and found no leaks. It appears they have video evidence of the test but I cannot see it. They stated the mini flood was condensation. Not happy at all

Our Kampa used to run with condensation. We bought the roof cover which sopped  it up and also hid  the horrible beams. Rubbish, got rid of it.  

On 9/9/2017 at 12:07, Llew said:

That is a proper porch awning. £1500 may seem a bit steep, but some of the better quality air awnings can cost £1000+ for a similar size. I know where I'd rather spend my money.

You could always do the Combi thing with a cut down full awning. We did this with a secondhand Commodore, all in cost less than £400

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

Good pictures there, you are right you cant beat an Isabella traditional awning

Steve

We have owned a Kampa Air Pro 280 for 3 years without any problem but the last time out we had a couple of small water leaks from the seams by the window. Can anybody recommend a sealant please. I have not contacted Kampa yet as the warranty is out of date.

2 hours ago, terrierbite said:

Good pictures there, you are right you cant beat an Isabella traditional awning

Steve

I've accumulated three, a 2. 5m Capri, a 3m Commodore and the above 3m  Commodore which is a 950 cut at both ends so we can have it as a 'porch' with two back poles or a 3/4 length with one end fully in the awning rail, front or back.

They don't take much longer than an air awning to put up and you don't have the  big tubes or guy ropes to trip over. Put up correctly they don't rattle in windy conditions or damage the van sides plus I can do the whole job single handed with all the panels still zipped in.

• Like 1