Sign in to follow this  
Benchillian

Kampa Air Pro Water Leaks Cured

I bought a Kampa Ace Air 400 at the end of June as my neighbour has the same awning and was very impressed with it. The first weekend there was some rain but no problems. Three weekends ago we pitched it at Brickhouse site in Chipping near Preston. It rained quite heavily but still no problems just a small pool of water at the base of one of the legs. This weekend 10th/11th/12th August it rained quite heavily and there was dripping all over the roof. I had a ceiling cover and it got saturated and I had to take it down. The harder it rained the more it dripped. I videoed it and took the awning to the retailer, Preston Caravans. The awning manager wasn't in until today, Tuesday, so I left it there. I have been to the retailer today and showed him the video and he admitted that it should not leak in like that. He said he would have to test it with a hose pipe but informed me that Kampa would only say it needs weathering. I briefly explained the options, i. e. A replacement awning(my preference), a full refund or I would claim on my credit card for faulty goods. I have given him until Friday to come up with a solution.

• Like 1

We had a Kampa Ace 300 for 2 weeks, leaked like a seize, took it back to the dealer Salop Caravans on way back from the holiday, they gave use a full refund with no excuses or arguments, we paid the difference and brought a proper awning an Isabella.

• Like 1

We had a Kampa Ace 300 for 2 weeks, leaked like a seize, took it back to the dealer Salop Caravans on way back from the holiday, they gave use a full refund with no excuses or arguments, we paid the difference and brought a proper awning an Isabella.

Sorry- too quick on the button.

Which Isabella?

Sorry- too quick on the button.

Which Isabella?

We have got a Isabella Seed for long stays and a Isabella Minor for short stays, no leaks no condensation.

No leaks and no condensation are exactly what I'm looking for!

I've looked at a few Isabellas, but I'm not familiar with those. What size are they?

We have got a Isabella Seed for long stays and a Isabella Minor for short stays, no leaks no condensation.

We've had three Isabella awnings and none have ever suffered condensation, only the Seed had very slight weeping from stitching for the first couple of uses and is now completely dry during all weathers.

Given the time taken to peg out I don't feel it takes much more time overall to erect than an inflatable version. And no guys to trip over.

I've looked at a few Isabellas, but I'm not familiar with those. What size are they?

We have a modified Seed to give a 3/4 length awning, it comes in a choice of lengths and widths. From memory widths of 3m, 3. 5m & 4m and maybe more.

• Like 1

We've had three Isabella awnings and none have ever suffered condensation, only the Seed had very slight weeping from stitching for the first couple of uses and is now completely dry during all weathers.

Given the time taken to peg out I don't feel it takes much more time overall to erect than an inflatable version. And no guys to trip over.

We have a modified Seed to give a 3/4 length awning, it comes in a choice of lengths and widths. From memory widths of 3m, 3. 5m & 4m and maybe more.

Width/depth of the seed awnings 2. 5 metres, of you with the YouTube video they show you how to fit the awning single handed.

Because I am on crutches we leave the front and sides out and then erect the awning, with the Kampa Ace with still had to remove the panel as it was far to heavy for use to handle.

Stick to your guns! Water 'showering' is not condensation! We have a similar issue. We just bought a Ventura Pascal 390 and used it for the first time last weekend. The first night was dry and the awning was fine; we were happy with our purchase. However it rained heavily on the second day and the awning leaked along the lines of the air tubes where they are stitched to the roof of the awning (the rest of the roof was dry internally). The water ran down the tubes and dripped consistently onto the awning floor. This is from an awning supposedly retailing at £1300! I find it unacceptable and I'm currently composing my letter of complaint to the dealer.

Width/depth of the seed awnings 2. 5 metres, of you with the YouTube video they show you how to fit the awning single handed.

Because I am on crutches we leave the front and sides out and then erect the awning, with the Kampa Ace with still had to remove the panel as it was far to heavy for use to handle.

Isabella's You Tube videos are excellent at explaining how to put the awning up,wouldn't be without them.

Ian

• Like 1

Isabella's You Tube videos are excellent at explaining how to put the awning up,wouldn't be without them.

Ian

I agree, I take a copy of the erection and dismantling videos with me and often review them at the start of the season. The only parts I don't duplicate are 1. I can't reach the Fixons on the bead without a stool, and 2. Steve suggests arranging the outside of the awning to the inside before folding. I find that a pain so don't bother. The outside remains on the outside so is folded against itself. But certainly following the guide results in an easy dismantling and packing away in the bag. I usually manage it myself with the help of a cord to pull the bead through the rail. Sorry for the thread drift.

• Like 1

The Minor awning does not have a centre pole like the full or magnum awnings however the Minor can accomodate a centre pole which just pops into to the centre fixing once the rubber bung is removed thus making a one man job like the full and magnum awnings.

I do not take my fixons off, just hold the awning away from the bodywork, we have a Swift Conqueror with the HT body/awning rail and find the Isabella Multi Fixons a much better fit.

Edited by Oscarmax

Width/depth of the seed awnings 2. 5 metres,

Looks like the range of choice has shrunk somewhat. I distinctly remember there being a range of width/depths for some models. The current catalogue only seems to show a fixed width per model.

. ...which is a shame. If they did a 400cm version of the Magnum Coal we'd definitely have one.

. ...which is a shame. If they did a 400cm version of the Magnum Coal we'd definitely have one.

Yes, I can imagine that would be useful on a large permanent pitch. Places we go to I don't think there's room for a 4m width awning. Ours is 2. 5m and it's more than enough for the two of us. Lighter too of course.

Sorry, what I meant was the standard depth of 2. 5m out from the caravan, and 4m along the side.

To be honest it is easier to put up a full awning as opposed to a Magnum, to side poles against the body to mess around with. We find we can erect the Isabella Seed quicker than the Minor (which take no time at all), however there are more pegs on the full awning so pegging takes a little longer.

I've a 1990 Isabella on the Carlight, and it doesn't leak at all. ....and yes, it's true, it's 27 years old!

Takes about 30 minutes to erect, and I use the rock pegs- about £15 for 20 from ebay.

Sorry, what I meant was the standard depth of 2. 5m out from the caravan, and 4m along the side.

That's probably perfectly doable if you really want that. Select an 'A' size of 4m + 2x the height of your awning rail, say 8. 5m. By clipping the bead front and back you turn it into a porch awning, or leave the bead in the back rail upright and select an overall length so that the front side misses doors and windows. That's what we did and have the front side between the main door and front side window. In our case that means about a 5. 5m length awning.

Fascinating. And the poles fit OK? Do you need to fit back poles against the van?

Fascinating. And the poles fit OK? Do you need to fit back poles against the van?

You have a choice of making it a porch awning with the purchase of two poles and side cushion pads, or keep one end, say the rear, in the awning rail and buy a single pole and pad for the front. Isabella will cut the bead for you if you ask or better IMO is do it yourself, that way you can measure exactly where you want the roof to drop down to the ground.

Many thanks for that. I'm not sure I'd have the bottle to butcher a piece of fine (and expensive) Isabella engineering. Especially given Mrs. B's expression when I explained it to her just now.

But might be worth a chat with Isabella at the least. If we can't buy what we want, maybe we'll have to make it.

Thanks, again.

It's not difficult to do. You only cut the bead leaving the remaining reinforcing width intact. In my case I had a new full van length bead sewn in so I could peg it down fore and aft to prevent wind drifting it along the rail, especially while erecting. There was just a vertical section of bead left at the front that would previously have run in the front rail, but now slides into the plastic extrusions that clip onto the side pole and cushion.

Much easier to do than describe.

Edited by TinShack

So it was condensation, was it?

Did Kampa video another test to prove how condensation was to blame? I wouldn't believe their 'evidence' replicated the conditions that caused the showering unless I saw it.

I do believe, from other posters about Kampa air awnings, dealers have even blamed the water in the curtain pockets on condensation. Mine used to literally fill up to the brim when it rained. That's about 6 litres. Funny, but I don't remember ever boiling 6 litres of water to steam to produce that much condensation. And we've never camped in a tropical rainforest, either.

I find it miraculous that having re-proofed my awning (properly) I now have neither leaks nor 'condensation'.

In my view, Kampa and their dealers are just parroting absolute rubbish. Some of their awnings are fine, as many here have said. Others are disastrous. They have a big quality control problem. In my opinion.

No it wasn't, two days later we went out again. Leaked in the same place. Messaged Kampa direct and they stated the case wasn't closed and that I should contact them directly to see if we can rectify it. Still waiting

• Like 1

Condensation inside an awning at this time of year (Autumn) is to be expected overnight if a breathable floor covering, or bare grass is inside the awning.

It's all to do with the air inside the awning being warmer than the air outside*, and as the floor is very wet, the high humidity inside will condense out on any cold surface, which included inside the clear plastic windows.

All waterproof materials need to be reproofed from time to time. It's a coating, not an inbuilt feature of the material itself, so it will lose effectiveness over time.

Reproofing is not expensive, nor difficult and will rejuvenate the material onto which it's applied.

* Yes, I know you aren't heating the air inside, but small amounts leak from inside the van and that's all that's needed. If you step outside the awning, it will be colder than inside it.

• Like 2

I think that's fair comment on both points - condensation can and does happen, and awnings willl need re-proofing from time to time.

My concern is that these awnings - judging from comments on this forum - vary so much in performance, even from brand new.

Mine has never been fully waterproof until I re-proofed it. I just think it wasn't done properly in the first place.

However, I'm always (well, usually) open to calm logic!

• Like 1