Sign in to follow this  
Benchillian

Kampa Air Pro Water Leaks Cured

Just re-posting this, as I originally placed it in another thread which was more about about air leaks.

Re-proofed my leaking-from-new Kampa Rally Air Pro 390 awning a couple of weeks ago. Weekend just gone, it got well-rained on while we were away. Result: bliss!

Instead of pouring through the roof, sides and doors, it just stood in beads and rolled off the canvas. No leaks anywhere - except. . . ..when it pooled on the roof, and I had to push it off with the brush. A few drops came through where I touched the roof. But to be fair, no more water came through afterwards.

I've read other threads about pooling on this awning. It's important to space the awning out properly and inflate until it nearly explodes. Unfortunately, even that doesn't seem to work when the ground is sloping up away from the caravan, which leaves the roof more level than it should be.

However, I'm happy wih the waterproofing. It's stopped me chucking the awning on the tip.

What did I use? Fabsil Gold - applied with a 3" paintbrush. £14 a litre. Used 2. 5 litres. Well worth it.

Final point - for me this confirms my view that the problem was down to poor manufacture. The proofing was incomplete. And that supports a view, gleaned from many posts on here, that the quality of a Kampa awning is very hit-and-miss. Some are fine. Others are disastrous.

Buy at your peril.

• Like 2

Thanks for this info, I am looking at Kampa awnings at the moment & potentially buying one next year, probably the Plus version of yours, nice to get titbits of useful info.

Our ace is fine

Mine is 2016 Rally 390 pro + annexe. . waterproof is great. . have had pooling over caravan door after raining all day, but Ive been told or advised to make sure awning is pump up enough. . and yes sloping ground does not help. .. but overall am v pleased with awning

We have the 2017 Rally Air Pro and it performed very well in a 38 hours of heavy downpour at Culloden Moor. There certainly has been no pooling on the roof.

No more Kampa Awnings for me, I have had a guts full with the 330 Air, if I cannot get rid of it on EBay,the tip it is

• Haha 1

I've got my awning to reproof although its a different type (camptech) it has the same problems, leaks water in and pools on the middle 2 sections of the roof :(

I'll give it another go but I prefer proper awnings as I find them easier to put and they're far more robust than the air

Yep, give it a go.

I don't know why, but I found myself surprised when, having waterproofed the awning, it was then actually waterproof.

Maybe because I bought a 'waterproof' awning which wasn't.

I've got my awning to reproof although its a different type (camptech) it has the same problems, leaks water in and pools on the middle 2 sections of the roof :(

I'll give it another go but I prefer proper awnings as I find them easier to put and they're far more robust than the air

Paul,

Mine did the same, reproofing fixed the leaking, I used Fenwick's which was fine but used Isabella on my air 330 which I prefer.

To stop the pooling I used to drop the support beams as low as they would go on the velcro or remove them,that water water just ran off.

Paul,

Mine did the same, reproofing fixed the leaking, I used Fenwick's which was fine but used Isabella on my air 330 which I prefer.

To stop the pooling I used to drop the support beams as low as they would go on the velcro or remove them,that water water just ran off.

Thanks for the tip, I have 3 parts of a gallon of fabsil so I'll use some of that and I'll do my gardening coat while I'm at it, I did try to cure the pooling by moving the beams and it helped slightly, but it wasn't good enough.

I'll make some of the packing blocks and try that, but I'm going to have a go at designing something to support and lift the centre beam.

Plan "B" and the one I'm in favour of is to give the awning to my daughter and go back to an easy life with the Trio full or the nr porch awnings :)

We purchased the Kampa Rally Air Pro 330. After 4 weekends away with a little damp, we have just returned from 2 weeks in Cornwall with water showering through in two areas of the awning roof. So this morning back to the dealer. After discussions re did we erect it correctly his conclusion was 'it's condensation'; I showed the photos taken and had to push to get anything done. Now have a two week wait to see if Kampa confirm the roof is leaking. Now that I have searched forums (hindsight is a wonderful thing) wondered if it's worth taking the next step in claiming back via credit card cover as I suspect it is going to be a fight to get it sorted.

I've read other threads about pooling on this awning. It's important to space the awning out properly and inflate until it nearly explodes. Unfortunately, even that doesn't seem to work when the ground is sloping up away from the caravan, which leaves the roof more level than it should be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we were told when we bought our air awning that most folk inflate the awning too much. Although we have a safety valve on our's we were advised to inflate to 3. 5 to 4 as the tubes expand more in hot weather.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we were told when we bought our air awning that most folk inflate the awning too much. Although we have a safety valve on our's we were advised to inflate to 3. 5 to 4 as the tubes expand more in hot weather.

3. 5 to 4 what? Kampa recommends 12psi - must admit i tend to stop at around 10.

sorry Disco, seems I left the psi out, still glad you understood it . However joking aside, the thing I have found is that different awnings have different psi's . The Kampa says 8-11 and with Vango, it depends which one you have and mine is an outdoor revolution.

3. 5 to 4 what? Kampa recommends 12psi - must admit i tend to stop at around 10.

I was told by Kampa to inflate as much as possible, with the handpump that came with awning. . you cannot over-inflate

I was told by Kampa to inflate as much as possible, with the handpump that came with awning. . you cannot over-inflate

Agree, but if you're lazy like the rest of us, an electric pump can. ... ;-)

Agree, but if you're lazy like the rest of us, an electric pump can. . . . ;-)

Kampa Gale 12v pump will only go to 12. 5 psi, The bladders on Kampa awnings are tested to 22psi.

Kampa Gale 12v pump will only go to 12. 5 psi, The bladders on Kampa awnings are tested to 22psi.

Yes but that implies that you get the Kampa pump. A majority of posters on here seem to have gone for the Sevylor. .. there's not much in it now but versus Kampa's earlier effort (Breeze), it was a better pump & only about half the price. The Sevylor will go well above Kampa's recommended 12. 5. ..admittedly not to 22 but higher than I'd be comfortable with.

Yes but that implies that you get the Kampa pump. A majority of posters on here seem to have gone for the Sevylor. . . there's not much in it now but versus Kampa's earlier effort (Breeze), it was a better pump & only about half the price. The Sevylor will go well above Kampa's recommended 12. 5. . . admittedly not to 22 but higher than I'd be comfortable with.

What is this Sevylor ??

• Like 1

We purchased the Kampa Rally Air Pro 330. After 4 weekends away with a little damp, we have just returned from 2 weeks in Cornwall with water showering through in two areas of the awning roof. So this morning back to the dealer. After discussions re did we erect it correctly his conclusion was 'it's condensation'; I showed the photos taken and had to push to get anything done. Now have a two week wait to see if Kampa confirm the roof is leaking. Now that I have searched forums (hindsight is a wonderful thing) wondered if it's worth taking the next step in claiming back via credit card cover as I suspect it is going to be a fight to get it sorted.

Just been informed that Kampa have tested the awning and found no leaks. It appears they have video evidence of the test but I cannot see it. They stated the mini flood was condensation. Not happy at all

What is this Sevylor ??

Google Sevylor 12v pump.

Best price is from Decathlon.

You plug it in, set or check the psi and push start. That's it.

Good pump for the money.

Google Sevylor 12v pump.

Best price is from Decathlon.

You plug it in, set or check the psi and push start. That's it.

Good pump for the money.

Can this be plugged into the caravan or is it like ours only plugged into the car else it blows. The fuses ?

Can this be plugged into the caravan or is it like ours only plugged into the car else it blows. The fuses ?

Unintentionally it was plugged into our van and didnt blow anything.

• Like 1

Just been informed that Kampa have tested the awning and found no leaks. It appears they have video evidence of the test but I cannot see it. They stated the mini flood was condensation. Not happy at all

So it was condensation, was it?

Did Kampa video another test to prove how condensation was to blame? I wouldn't believe their 'evidence' replicated the conditions that caused the showering unless I saw it.

I do believe, from other posters about Kampa air awnings, dealers have even blamed the water in the curtain pockets on condensation. Mine used to literally fill up to the brim when it rained. That's about 6 litres. Funny, but I don't remember ever boiling 6 litres of water to steam to produce that much condensation. And we've never camped in a tropical rainforest, either.

I find it miraculous that having re-proofed my awning (properly) I now have neither leaks nor 'condensation'.

In my view, Kampa and their dealers are just parroting absolute rubbish. Some of their awnings are fine, as many here have said. Others are disastrous. They have a big quality control problem. In my opinion.

Unintentionally it was plugged into our van and didnt blow anything.

You were lucky, in fact if the fuse didn't go you were lucky not to melt the caravan wiring. Off the top of my head, the Sevylor pump pulls 13A when on full load.

• Like 1