Nationwide Flexplus Changes On The Way.

David 38

1 hour ago, frazerg said:

Hi,

We've booked a rail trip to Rome and back ,via Paris ,Zurich and Venice . We thought we'd use the travel insurance with Flex plus for the trip. We appreciate that it's for a full year worldwide but to get our medical pre-conditions covered was coming out at £360 with which we consider "normal " medical conditions. This seems outrageous to us. I phoned the CMC for a quote and to cover just the 1 trip mentioned was £99 and annual at £200. That was just personal cover ,the same as Nationwide so I also asked how much for the caravan and car for an year and that came in at £350. So we've taken the 1  trip with CMC and will work our way through getting car cover with the CMC and then change our current account to another free Nationwide one or a different bank as we can't see the point in paying £13 a month or £156 an year which is more than car cover. You don't know all this until you join Nationwide and go through medical screening with them.

Frazer

It's something I have mentioned before on different forums. We qualify for supposedly free insurance cover with Nationwide but when I last went through the screening process they wanted to charge £255 for 31 days annual cover. If I had wanted to extend that over a longer period it would have cost more as well.  I concluded in the end that Red Pennant was better value.  We have not been abroad for a few years so I don't know what the currant situation but I doubt its any better!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Niro HEV  for home.

Caravan Travels

56 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Must say the £360 extra for medical that exist.       The pair of us over 80's pay £260 which includes £50 for our ages, we have several conditions each.  80 is an age some insurers do not want to do business with but with NW they are OK.

One thing about NW it is Worldwide eg. it covers the USA.

Remember the monthly charge is offset a little by interest paid on the account balance, and include full breakdown cover plus some other small covers.

Myself if you are "normal" conditions I wonder if you answered the screening questions correctly.

I answered the questions honestly and correctly. I wont discuss my wife's  conditions but mine are high blood pressure treated with 5mg's of Ramipril and I'm currently waiting for an OGD for stomach problems ( nothing nasty but uncomfortable according to my  GP) .Because my stomach problems are ongoing they wont cover it so they wanted £132.50 to cover high blood pressure my wife has 5 problems and that came to £215.30 extra so a total of £347.80.I don't know when you renewed but you might have a shock.

Frazer

Kia Sportage towing Lunar Ultima SE

Also this doesn't include the £100 for being over 70 which doesn't happen with Red Pennant. This would make it £447.80.

We would rather stay in the UK than submit to extortion.

Frazer

Kia Sportage towing Lunar Ultima SE

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Remember the monthly charge is offset a little by interest paid on the account balance ........s

Not any more. The reason we binned out Flexplus account is that the interest provision was removed from 1st November. It now costs the full £13 a month regardless of how much you have in the account. The medical insurance was also useless for us as they wouldn't cover my pre-existing heart condition.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

8 hours ago, David 38 said:

Did you not see the date of the previous posts 2017.

Yes I did see the date of the previous posts.......I purposely searched for an old topic concerning  Natiowide  Flexplus.

8 hours ago, David 38 said:

The card and those special numbers went a long. long time ago, even further back than 2017.

The card and the a/c with it's vehicle breakdown cover and insurances is still currently on offer.

What is no longer on offer is the payment of any interest on any balance........this change plus others has only just been implemented.

See Here for full details

Keep active ....be happy...stay safe.

Well mine does not come up for renewal until next year will see what the charge is then.

In the past when doing comparisons it was being over 80 that killed the alternatives off.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

I’ve just upgraded to Flexplus, costs me £13/month. I’m over 70 with some medical conditions & had to pay £200 for holiday insurance. This covers me worldwide for a year. With this account I’ve also got breakdown insurance so can now cancel my Green Flag recovery which will offset the cost a bit. I have 2 vehicles on this, Flex Plus covers any vehicle I’m in. 

1 hour ago, Hairyspinner said:

I’ve just upgraded to Flexplus, costs me £13/month. I’m over 70 with some medical conditions & had to pay £200 for holiday insurance. This covers me worldwide for a year. With this account I’ve also got breakdown insurance so can now cancel my Green Flag recovery which will offset the cost a bit. I have 2 vehicles on this, Flex Plus covers any vehicle I’m in. 

Will the Nationwide breakdown cover apply to the caravan also and do they do onward journey?

4 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Will the Nationwide breakdown cover apply to the caravan also and do they do onward journey?

Nationwide and all the breakdown companies I've ever been with their agents have always looked after me excellently when I was in need.

Sorry didn't answer your question, Yes covered.

"Assistance provided at home and at the roadside with national recovery and onward travel"

Regards, David

38 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Nationwide and all the breakdown companies I've ever been with their agents have always looked after me excellently when I was in need.

Sorry didn't answer your question, Yes covered.

"Assistance provided at home and at the roadside with national recovery and onward travel"

I know for a fact that 2 years ago they were unable to cover our caravan even though it is a UK twin axle caravan.  I think the breakdown is with Britannia and I spoke with one of their reps at the time.  Maybe it has changed?

Yes it is Britannia with Nationwide.

I know when I was with Green Flag the agents have limited suitable recovery vehicles that are suitable and I had to wait for one to complete 2 other recoveries and driver to have some sleep.

I think this will apply to most it not all agents as these agents work for most of the breakdown companies.

Regards, David

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

They will take you & up to 7 passengers (pets excluded for some reason)to your destination of choice in the UK.

Caravans in excess of 8mtrs including the A frame are not covered, Motorhomes in excess of 8mtrs & 7.5 tonnes are not covered.

Must have a 50mm towball & if a tyre has blown you must have a suitable spare or inflation kit. 

23 minutes ago, Hairyspinner said:

They will take you & up to 7 passengers (pets excluded for some reason)to your destination of choice in the UK.

Caravans in excess of 8mtrs including the A frame are not covered, Motorhomes in excess of 8mtrs & 7.5 tonnes are not covered.

Must have a 50mm towball & if a tyre has blown you must have a suitable spare or inflation kit. 

So caravan is only covered while connected to tow vehicle as usually quoting the 50 mm hitch means it will only be towed and is not covered for breakdown itself ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

30 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

So caravan is only covered while connected to tow vehicle as usually quoting the 50 mm hitch means it will only be towed and is not covered for breakdown itself ?

Dave

Flexplus says: Caravans & trailers - your cover includes any caravan or trailer that is attached to your vehicle(doesn’t include help at the home address or within 1/4 mile radius)