Sign in to follow this  
pigsfly

Sold My Caravan Today (yeah Right)

Just a word to the wise

I advertised my Bailey Vendee with mover and awning on Gumtree yesterday. Today I have had a text asking if I would lower the price, I replied with a small reduction. Guess what I had sold the van and could I send him my Paypal account details so he could transfer the money and as he was disabled and could not collect it himself, (now stop making it up yourself) a courier would be dispatched to collect on his behalf.

I now felt that I could feel a little mischief in the air, so being polite I told him(?) that I did not have a Paypal account and as a third party would be collecting on his behalf it would have to be cash in full on collection.

The reply I received (you must give marks for persistence) gave me the web link and details on how to open a Paypal account, so now I thought I would imply that due to 'other' circumstances I would not be allowed to open a bank account and so the deal would be cash only or no deal.

Did he give up? NO! He then suggested that he would send a cheque with the courier (well that will be ok then) so if you get an email from a davidsctt (spelling is correct) just ignore or if you feel inclined have a bit of sport.

kot

pigs

• Like 2

Glad you 1) spotted what was going on and 2) enjoyed the sport - hope you soon get a genuine sale.

Edited by Black Grouse

Last time I sold a car someone emailed me to say they would transfer the full amount as it was present for his wife apparently he out of the country making a movie - yeah right.

On the other hand the last time I sold a caravan privately some one called from Germany asking to to buy it. He and his friend actually turned up when they said they would bought the van paid me in cash and made their way back to Germany as happy Bunnies.

I always put cash or cleared funds on my adverts .

I sold my pickup a couple of weeks ago on eBay and the guy texted for my bank account details and transferred £8k into my account without seeing me or the vehicle then turned up with the remainder and drove off.

Some people don't want to handle large sums .

Dave

It's a well known scam in the motorhome community. Cash is king!

I always put cash or cleared funds on my adverts

I put that in a caravan awning advert on the caravan club website, but still got the scammers trying to pay by Paypal, I was even told I was an idiot for not taking one guys offer, only idiot is one that takes it and finds Paypal refund the money as the so called buyer notifies them that it never arrived. Did sell it in the end for cash, to a lovely young couple just setting up, so they got it a bit cheaper and also other items I had in the garage collecting dust. I had a helping hand when I first started some 40 odd years ago so felt it was nice to help someone who is in the same position. .

• Like 7

Bought the Land Cruiser privately. The Guy wants cash fair enough because he is worried that a building society cheque could be forged. So we arrange to have money deposited in a branch of our building society in his town so we can draw out the cash and pay him. We go to BS I ask him if he still wants cash as I am happy for him to watch the cheque being drawn up, I even say that the cashier can hand it to him direct. No still wants the cash so we finish the deal in the BS. He walks next door and sticks the cash in his bank. There are occasions when a transfer might be easier and safer.

For one of my cars the guy flew down from Scotland with £15k in cash his pocket but it was not appreciated when I handed it to our local NatWest in Scottish notes. I think the young cashier thought it was monopoly money.

Dave

We had similar. Advertised our Bailey caravan and got the phone call from NI stating that they could not collect the caravan but their uncle from Scotland would come and inspect it and give us the money. Uncle arrived, paid us in Scottish notes, took the caravan and off he went. A bit of a concern until the notes were accepted in our local BS. Whew!

If I were a seller, I'd be cautious of accepting large volumes of cash, especially if it's less than familiar currency, e. g. Scottish notes in England. Having worked in retail in the murky past, accepting lots of cash was not ideal, there's a lot of good forgeries knocking about.

I'd look for a bank transfer with funds confirmed as clear in my account, and even then, I'd question the bank to make sure I was bulletproof. Although Fred's scenario above of a building society cheque printed in front of me would be ok I think.

There's peace of mind in trading in at a dealer, leaving any px and paying on a card as you accept your new caravan or similar. At a cost, although with negotiation, the gap can be pretty small.

If I were selling privately, it would have to be bank transfer - even cash has it's risks if you're not up to speed checking for forgeries. Bank transfer is routine these days for anyone with a smartphone, which is most people, although I don't!

Poor guy trying to buy a caravan and you won`t let him! Sound like it may be the same guy that tried to buy mine 18 months ago, so the poor lamb must be getting desperate by now.

When I did sell my van I got the usual scammers, then got a call from a guy 200 miles away on a Saturday evening wanting to buy the van and can he put a deposit on it? Yeah, right. Checked with the bank to make sure giving him my details couldn`t cost me any money, so gave him my details. Within minutes £500. 00 was deposited, he arrived 10. 00 am the next morning, loved the van, and by the time he`d got back home at 5. 00pm the full asking price was in my account, and the van was still on my driveway. I nearly lost a brilliant sale after being sick of the scammers. If something is too good to be true, it usually is.

In this case it wasn`t.

As a buyer I travelled 155 miles to buy my first caravan from an eBay seller.

Did a bank transfer there and then. I did have to phone the bank as a straightforward internet transfer was not approved.

Sorry, but I would make it clear that its getting a bit old, and then ring off but laughing your head off as you do :D

Sold my last van on ebay, purchaser came to view, paid small deposit in cash, then went home paid the balance by bank transfer, and collected the van a few days later.

Perfect.

Pity not all buyers and sellers are like that.

If you're taking that amount in cash, best bet is to drive the buyer to your bank and have them check it as you pay it in. .

I put my van on Gumtree last Wednesday. I had a message on the same day which simply gave a figure. ..£x. xx as an offer(I'm not obviously giving the figure!)... so I went back with one word. ... NO. I just thought it was all a bit abrupt. They then came back on the Friday morning say what was my best price. I was half inclined not to bother replying (as I had other people lined up to view the caravan) but I did. They asked for my number so I gave it. .. they rang and said they want it 100% (no viewings made or questions asked). That night the money was in my account and they came to collect it the next morning. They were over the moon with it. .... so was I!

• Like 1

To add a small footnote:

If you sell anything (car, caravan, motorhome) do make sure you give a receipt or the payment to the purchaser and make sure it contains full details of the item such as exact model, any extras, (mileage and reg number if appropriate) but most importantly the date, and time of the sale, and the purchaser's personal details. Then get the purchaser to countersign the receipt. Give them a copy and retain one yourself (write out two copies by hand if you do not have a scanner/printer).

I sold a LR Discovery a few years ago. The purchaser paid in cash, so I was happy with that, and he drove the car away immediately. That was the end of it I thought, until a couple of weeks later I received a notice of a speeding offence about an hour after I sold the vehicle!!!

Fortunately I had informed the DVLA immediately upon the sale (but clearly the records had not been updated in time) so the signed copy of the receipt was my proof of the exact time of the sale. I was therefore able to reply saying, "not me guv" (or words to that effect). Had I not obtained the purchaser's signature confirming the time of the sale I could have been in deep sticky stuff.

Be warned, sales to people you do not know can come back to bite you.

Gordon.

When I have sold privately, I have had duplicate sales receipts timed and signed, one for the purchaser and one for me.

Works both ways regarding speeding tickets, purchaser just prior to the sale and me just after the sale.

It's a well known scam in the motorhome community. Cash is king!

Your not only a Kiaman, but a very kind one at that, good on you

When ever selling or buying a high value item it pays to be very cautious. If the other party is genuine they will be happy for you to be as cautious as you want. If they are UNhappy then its time to walk away from the deal.

I sold a 30K Motorhome a few years ago. Chap rang me, asked all the right questions, asked if he could come at the weekend to view it. Stated he would have a Bankers Draft for £25K and would transfer the remained of any agreed price to my bank account.

Long story short I contacted "his" bank, they confirmed they had issued a Bankers Draft for that sum of money to the prospective purchaser. Man turned up, showed me his passport (which I scanned) and his Driving Licence (to show his address) viewed MH, we agreed a price, he transferred the remaining balance from his bank to mine using HIS laptop (via my wifi) I then went into my bank via MY laptop, money was there. I had the bankers draft in my hand and he had a MH!

It took a bit of working out between us, and I did make things a little difficult just to see what his reaction was. at every stage he was happy to jump through whatever hoops I asked him to.

there are SOME honest people left in the world !!!

Andy

• Like 1

WOULD YOU ADAM & EVE IT

I have had scammer No2 today

Alleged wife sent me a text asking me to contact her husband as it was him who was interested in the caravan, after yesterday there was a bad smell in the air. So I inflated the price by £1500. Reply was about three mins and said that it was just what he was looking for asked me how many previous owners and did I have any more pictures as he had been looking for this MOTORBIKE for over a year.

I give up

kot

pigs

WOULD YOU ADAM & EVE IT

Alleged wife sent me a text asking me to contact her husband as it was him who was interested in the caravan, after yesterday there was a bad smell in the air. So I inflated the price by £1500. Reply was about three mins and said that it was just what he was looking for asked me how many previous owners and did I have any more pictures as he had been looking for this MOTORBIKE for over a year.

I give up

kot

pigs

Makes you :D doesn't it??

WOULD YOU ADAM & EVE IT

I give up

kot

pigs

Not so good for you but it's keeping the rest of us entertained :D

At least you're aware of the pitfalls and I am sure you'll find a genuine buyer before too long.

Good luck.

Gordon.

What a difference 23 miles makes.

When we bought our Freelander from a garage here, we paid by personal cheque, completed the paperwork and drove off with it.

When we were looking, we walked into the same garage, there was nowhere to park in the place, spoke to a salesman, who gave us the keys to the Freelander and an X5, and went back in his office while we drove off in the 2 cars.

Sign in to follow this