Discovery 5 - 2ltr Or 3ltr

Yorkshireman

Has anybody been towing with a new Discovery. Are you towing with the 2ltr or 3ltr engine.

I'm interested if the new 2ltr performs against a D4 3 Ltr.

Honest views appreciated.

2. 7L or 3L diesel. 2L is far to underpowered for the size and weight of vehicle.

2. 7L or 3L diesel. 2L is far to underpowered for the size and weight of vehicle.

How can 240 bhp / 369 lbft be regarded as "underpowered" - especially as D5 is 400 kg lighter than D4. .

The choice on D5 is currently - 2. 0 turbo-petrol 240 bhp / 3. 0 turbo-petrol 340 bhp / 3. 0 turbo-diesel 258 bhp

Edited by Black Grouse

I've read the stats, i'm after some actual driving the car views on the engines.

Edited by Yorkshireman

3. 0d every day of the week. Fantastic engine, far better than the old 2. 7d they used for a while. Huge amounts of silky smooth torque and will remap to over 300bhp.

How can 240 bhp / 369 lbft be regarded as "underpowered" - especially as D5 is 400 kg lighter than D4. .

The choice on D5 is currently - 2. 0 turbo-petrol 240 bhp / 3. 0 turbo-petrol 340 bhp / 3. 0 turbo-diesel 258 bhp

Sure the 3. 0 petrol isnt a Supercharged rather than turbo as the normal JLR engine is a 3. 0 Supercharged petrol from the F-Type which is still a good engine but lacks the effortless torque of the Diesel. Have to work it a bit harder and obviously uses a lot more fuel. Have seen the 3. 0d in the Jag XF and XJ in real life returning 50+mpg

The 2. 0ltr is a diesel not a petrol, the 3. 0ltr petrol is supercharged and the 3. 0ltr diesel is a single turbo Ford derived V6 and not the same as the V6 found in the D4.

The 2. 0ltr Ingenium engine is plenty powerful enough for the solo car but will struggle with any substantial towing weight. The 3. 0ltr Diesel has 700NM of torque and pulls like a train. The power output of the 3. 0ltr diesel is very close to the existing V6 save for about 5 bhp. There is a new Ingenuim 6 cyl due soonish to replace the temporary Ford power unit.

The 2. 0ltr is a diesel not a petrol, the 3. 0ltr petrol is supercharged and the 3. 0ltr diesel is a single turbo Ford derived V6 and not the same as the V6 found in the D4.

The 2. 0ltr Ingenium engine is plenty powerful enough for the solo car but will struggle with any substantial towing weight. The 3. 0ltr Diesel has 700NM of torque and pulls like a train. The power output of the 3. 0ltr diesel is very close to the existing V6 save for about 5 bhp. There is a new Ingenuim 6 cyl due soonish to replace the temporary Ford power unit.

"Temporary Ford power unit" - I thought all JLR engines pre-Ingenium were derived from Ford or Ford-PSA engines?

IMO I wonder if the bigger petrol versions might seem a bad choice but with all the dump the diesel vehicles attitude you might find in the future your get a better return when you come to sell .

A complete reversal from 20 years ago when I could not give away my big petrol tow cars.

Dave

The old V6 diesel unit was purchased from Fords Diesel plant in Dagenham and was one of the Lion (PSA) series of engines. The new engine in the D5 is not this engine but is a temporary engine from Ford which will be used until Land Rovers own Ingenium 6 cyl model is available.

You agree the 2. 0 is a diesel and the 3. 0 petrol is supercharged I assume.

Edited by Vanmaster Man

240hp/500nm torque dont think you can class that as a struggle.

• 1 month later...

Those that are towing with a D5, can you confirm where a detachable tow ball is stowed when not in use I. e. Is there a special place like in the D4.

Thanks

There is a storage area under the boot floor where you could easily store one. I've got the electric deployable one. Their great, you can also check your nose weight when they are specs.

The thread on Disco5. co. uk regarding the towing worries of one of the guys has been settled insofar as the electrically deployable tow bar wasn't locking, a warning came up on the dash to notify the driver. Initially the dealers said it was a one off and not to worry about it so when it happened again he took a pic and emailed the dealership that if any damage was caused to his car, van or anyone else, he would be claiming against them. Suffice to say a complete new hook unit was installed and he reports that towing is excellent ever since. Yay!

Is there a special place like in the D4.

Where's the special place in a D4? I put mine in the original box which slides around the boot so could do with knowing. ..

Where's the special place in a D4? I put mine in the original box which slides around the boot so could do with knowing. . .

Don't know about a special place :unsure: but mine gets wrapped up in a towel and is placed inside the side cubby at the rear n/s.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Don't know about a special place :unsure: but mine gets wrapped up in a towel and is placed inside the side cubby at the rear n/s.

Yes in D4, I have a special holder inside the removable panel just inside boot n/s, but I don't think the D5 has the same cubby hole and was wondering if a D5 owner had a removable and knows its stowed away.

Yes in D4, I have a special holder inside the removable panel just inside boot n/s, but I don't think the D5 has the same cubby hole and was wondering if a D5 owner had a removable and knows its stowed away.

I thought I answered this one in my previous post. There is a space underneath the boot floor. Which will take the ball hitch.

I thought I answered this one in my previous post. There is a space underneath the boot floor. Which will take the ball hitch.

Is yours a 5-seater Craig?

No it's 7 seater. They don't do a 5 seat D5 well not in the UK.

Not to be confused with the discovery sport. Which does do 5 seats.😉😉

Edited by CraigP2005