Sign in to follow this  
Richard_Y

Pleased To Save A Few Bob

Feeling quite pleased for saving a few pennies and some shopping time too!

A pre-drive check today revealed a dead brake light. It's a fairly old van but new to us, and I haven't until now had cause to open up the tail light cluster.

It came out easier than I thought, and I was busily looking to see what sort of bulb I needed . ... yes, I know, I'll buy some spares for next time! . .. when my kind neighbour pointed out that the contact was a bit mucky with age. A quick scrape, and the bulb's fine.

I'll know to check that next time a bulb dies before rushing for a new one!

Richard

I'll know to check that next time a bulb dies before rushing for a new one!

But you'll now carry a couple of spares should the bulb be the fault - won't you ;)

Glad you found the cheaper fix before replacing the bulb though :D

Gordon

• Like 1

I've found the same thing many times over the years on cars, caravans and trailers . .. either that or a poor earth connection.

John

• Like 1

But you'll now carry a couple of spares should the bulb be the fault - won't you ;)

Glad you found the cheaper fix before replacing the bulb though :D

Gordon

Yup !! :)

If you had one bulb like that you can bet the others are similar. Clean up the outside of the bulb and the inside of its holder, reassemble and spray with WD40 to keep future corrosion at bay.

You'll soon be like the rest of us, with spares and tools for every eventuality!

I have carried two sets of caravan spare bulbs for many and only ever replaced one, though I replaced a pair of tail light assemblies on the caravan.

Last weekend my attention was drawn to a faulty brake light on my Passat for which I also have two sets of replacement bulbs, some of which are common with the caravan :rolleyes: . There was no way that I could find to remove the tail light bulb assembly without lacerating my hands. I took the car to a local branch of Halfords where for the cost of a bulb and £5 fitting fee it was replaced by a team of three, one of whom had scarred hands from previous bulb fittings. :o:rolleyes:

Edited by DeeTee

I have carried two sets of caravan spare bulbs for many and only ever replaced one, though I replaced a pair of tail light assemblies on the caravan.

Last weekend my attention was drawn to a faulty brake light on my Passat for which I also have two sets of replacement bulbs, some of which are common with the caravan :rolleyes: . There was no way that I could find to remove the tail light bulb assembly without lacerating my hands. I took the car to a local branch of Halfords where for the cost of a bulb and £5 fitting fee it was replaced by a team of three, one of whom had scarred hands from previous bulb fittings. :o:rolleyes:

+1! :D Halfords fan.