Sign in to follow this  
Enfield boy

Sky Q

Hi all, has anyone used the sky hybrid LNB to receive Sky q in the caravan?

As far as I can tell you should be able to locate the satellite using a meeter then connect sky q box using the different wideband and lowband connections on the hybrid LNB

I was told that you set up the dish as as you would normally but to be able to use Sky Q you would need a Sky Q lnb. Apparently it is stronger. I have not yet tried it but will be doing so at the end of July.

Les

I was told that you set up the dish as as you would normally but to be able to use Sky Q you would need a Sky Q lnb. Apparently it is stronger. I have not yet tried it but will be doing so at the end of July.

Les

Yes it does work, hybrid LNB set up using the old hd box then change to q box and wideband slots on LNB

I did not know Sky Q was a satellite system I had assumed it was just another streaming box and the source was the internet.

Can you tell me what is different to this Q satellite system to the usual Sky satellite please?

. . . . . . Can you tell me what is different to this Q satellite system to the usual Sky satellite please?

I was looking into this a few weeks back David.

http://www. trustedreviews. com/opinions/sky-q-silver-vs-sky-hd-box

Edit. I decided against it presently as I am not sure whether there would be any problems with taking it away in the caravan. i. e. lack of phone line connection.

With my HD box there are no problems.

Edited by Griff

Theres no phone line connection to a Q box.

I had Q installed recently, with a hybrid LNB fitted so that I could still use my old Sky+HD box, as I had loads of recordings on it. I assumed that after a few weeks my old Sky+HD would cease working, but two months later it is still working fine. Im gradually copying its recordings from the box and onto an external hard drive for future viewing.

Edited by LeadFarmer

Theres no phone line connection to a Q box.

I had Q installed recently, with a hybrid LNB fitted so that I could still use my old Sky+HD box, as I had loads of recordings on it. I assumed that after a few weeks my old Sky+HD would cease working, but two months later it is still working fine. Im gradually copying its recordings from the box and onto an external hard drive for future viewing.

Do you know if it (Q) will work away from the house LF?

I haven't tried it, but I believe part of its content is supplied via internet, but that might just be things like Sky Box Sets, Sky Cinema etc. Im guessing normal TV guide content is still supplied via the usual satellite cable. .

What are the main advantages that Sky Q has over the old Sky+HD box?

I was looking into this a few weeks back David.

http://www. trustedreviews. com/opinions/sky-q-silver-vs-sky-hd-box

Edit. I decided against it presently as I am not sure whether there would be any problems with taking it away in the caravan. i. e. lack of phone line connection.

With my HD box there are no problems.

Well that is very interesting not realised it was a satellite box as well.

How I'm confused as I'm presently coming in a couple of months to the end of a very good deal I got from Sky via Martin Lewis was Sky fibre BB and anytime phone calls for £24 a month now risen due to line increase to £26 presently on a 12 month contract. At the time I signed up Sky offered me a Q box as well making it £30 a month hence I assumed a streaming TV box via the internet. Now this extra of just a few £ is nothing like the costs on your link, amazing I would have got a Sky dish installation etc. for that.

Edited by David Park
  • Like 1

What are the main advantages that Sky Q has over the old Sky+HD box?

If I'm being honest, there aren't many advantages.

Infact there are a few annoying disadvantages. . .

Menu - The menu is a bit clumsy, hard to describe.

Remote control - is small and its buttons aren't laid out in a distinctive pattern like the Sky+ remote, meaning you have can't just feel for the button you need, you have to look.

TV Guide - multiple button presses are needed on the remote to get to the TV guide. The default screen when using the remote is 'My Q' which is mostly just a suggestions page for things you might want to watch. Quite annoying.

Recorded/Viewed - On recorded programmes there is nothing to tell you id you've already viewed it or not. So with a recorded series of a programme like Game of Thrones you have to guess which episode you last watched.

User defined - Q doesn't allow you to jump straight to a user defined point within a recording, you have to use the FF/RW buttons

However, what might be seen as an advantage is the way that multiroom works. The main box records everything, with the multiroomm boxes (maximum of two) accessing the main box via wifi/ethernet to view them. So if your in the bedroom and want to record something, it records on the main box downstairs. The advantage is that everything is viewable on the multiroom box, whereas before if you recorded onto the bedroom box you couldn't watch it downstairs.

You can also start watching a programme downstairs, then go to bed and carry on watching where you left off.

Edited by LeadFarmer

Yes I have my main q box working in the caravan right now, all my recording are available and I am able to view all channels

Yes I have my main q box working in the caravan right now, all my recording are available and I am able to view all channels

How do you set your up? Do you have a Sky dish and sat cable?

Would it work in the caravan to just play recordings if not connected to a dish?

Would it work in the caravan to just play recordings if not connected to a dish?

Sky HD won't, it needs a signal from the dish to function.

Be interested to know if 'Q' is different.

No. It still needs a signal from the satellite on bootup to establish the programme guide and check your viewing card authorizations.

No. It still needs a signal from the satellite on bootup to establish the programme guide and check your viewing card authorizations.

Ok, so to play any recordings on my Q box I'd need a sat dish, suitable LNB and some sat cable?

Sky HD won't, it needs a signal from the dish to function.

Be interested to know if 'Q' is different.

Ok, so to play any recordings on my Q box I'd need a sat dish, suitable LNB and some sat cable?

Yes

Thanks, I think I shall leave the Q box at home but download some of the recordings from the Q box to my ipad to watch on holiday.

Edited by LeadFarmer