Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

France And Costs

Strikes me as what you want is Blackpool with sunshine,

fortunately we are not all the same.

In general I find that the average french restaurant serves very good food indeed, if you ignore the steaks, as I have yet to get one that was not as tough as old Harry.

Edited by Steve W77
  • Like 1

We find the French food is lavished with loads of oils, butter and other stuff to disguise the flavour of the actual meat underneath. Both of us prefer a simple meal of meat and salads and in France this is not easy to get as the salads are always coated in some type of sauce. To us to spend €15 or more each on a meal is wasteful as we probably would not eat most of it.

Last year for our anniversary we went to a Michelin restaurant and the meal cost us €32 each. What a joke! Starters was a spoonful of something, main meal was served on a huge plate with a small bowl indent in the middle. Two or three mouthfuls later it was finished. Dessert was okay. I had a beer and the wife had a bottle of cider and she most of it as it was horrible. This year we went to the cafe by the pool on the site and had hamburger and chips and it was a whole lot cheaper and better tasting than the over priced Michelin meal.

Obviously there are decent places that served food at reasonable prices but we never seem to find them.

The origin of a lot of French cuisine was, indeed, to make sauces to disguise the flavour of the meat in the days before refrigeration. Some traditional French cooking schools still emphasise these arts.

As Steve W77 says, you seem to want England by the Med. Try Benidorm or Fuengirola 'cos you're unlikely to find it here in France.

• Like 1

Strikes me as what you want is Blackpool with sunshine,

fortunately we are not all the same.

In general I find that the average french restaurant serves very good food indeed, if you ignore the steaks, as I have yet to get one that was not as tough as old Harry.

We would never dream of buying a steak from a restaurant as generally it is as tough as old boots. Generally when having a steak, I will do the steak on the BBQ and it is normally tasty and very edible.

BTW do they ever have constant sunshine in Blackpool?

As Steve W77 says, you seem to want England by the Med. Try Benidorm or Fuengirola 'cos you're unlikely to find it here in France.

No we have tried the fancy French food in the past and don't like it preferring something plainer. Is that a sin? We do like Spanish food as it seems to have a better flavour and not drowned in sauces etc.

I have just returned after 35 days in France, total cost including ferries, entrance fees meals out, campsite fees and fuel just under £3000 for the two of us.

Total mileage 3456 miles.

I call that good value for money

France is the second highest consumer of pesticides in the EU,between them Spain,France,Germany and Poland use 71% of the total use of pesticide in the EU

. Perhaps it's the flavour of the pesticides that makes people think French veg tastes better!

Spain has taken over from France as the best country for haute cuisine.

The restaurant voted no1 in the world recently is in Spain,interestingly no 10 is a UK restaurant and there are no French restaurants in the top 10.

As for tripadvisor our local Indian restaurant is rated very highly,every day I walk past it when walking the dog early in the morning and witness delivery of all the prepared meals!

knarf

Edited by KNARF

Last year for our anniversary we went to a Michelin restaurant and the meal cost us €32 each. What a joke! Starters was a spoonful of something, main meal was served on a huge plate with a small bowl indent in the middle. Two or three mouthfuls later it was finished. Dessert was okay. I had a beer and the wife had a bottle of cider and she most of it as it was horrible.

At that price I assume it was a Michelin Recommended rather that a Michelin Starred restaurant but welcome to the BS world of 'Fine Dining'.

if you ignore the steaks, as I have yet to get one that was not as tough as old Harry.

Some of the best steaks I've had anywhere in the world was in a little Cafe near Limogues, unusually thick for the French who seem to like their steak and chops cut thin.

https://www. tripadvisor. fr/Restaurant_Review-g4200975-d4191915-Reviews-La_Petite_Chopine-Aixe_sur_Vienne_Haute_Vienne_Nouvelle_Aquitaine. html

So while we are discussing good food, has anyone got a recommendation for a lovely restaurant in Millau? Not Michellin, but not bottom end with burgers, more a middling range.

I lived in Paris for a few weeks many many years ago. ..we had steaks every night,thick and horsemeat. ..'twas the artichokes we had with them that gave the problems. ..

geoff

France is the second highest consumer of pesticides in the EU,between them Spain,France,Germany and Poland use 71% of the total use of pesticide in the EU

. Perhaps it's the flavour of the pesticides that makes people think French veg tastes better!

Spain has taken over from France as the best country for haute cuisine.

The restaurant voted no1 in the world recently is in Spain,interestingly no 10 is a UK restaurant and there are no French restaurants in the top 10.

As for tripadvisor our local Indian restaurant is rated very highly,every day I walk past it when walking the dog early in the morning and witness delivery of all the prepared meals!

knarf

The level of pesticide use in France is high, but you have to bear in mind that there is an awful lot of agricultural land in France and it provides over 18% of the total EU agricultural output. (By the way, you can no longer buy glyphosate-based products off the shelf in France, you have to ask for them, and they are to be banned altogether in 2019. I don't believe there are the same restrictions in the UK).

Spanish food is "in vogue" at the moment.

TripAdvisor reviews can be very subjective. The "top" restaurant in Cognac is, supposedly, a creperie. We went to a place a while back which was the "top" restaurant in town and it was dreadful. When I went back and read the reviews carefully, they were mostly from people complimenting the waitress and they knew her by name, nothing about the food at all! I don't understand their ranking either - a place with 3. 5 out of 5 gets ranked above somewhere with 4. 5 out of 5 because the total number of reviews is higher?

Excuse the thread-creep!! :ph34r:

France is the 6th highest user of pesticide in the world and the 4th highest user per hetare!

The ban on glyphosphate is under review by the EU and the majority of EU countries are voting for its continued use, at a recent committee meeting France abstained from voting against its' re- licencing,there is an online petition organised by Greenpiece trying to get enough signatures! The goal is to reach more than one million signatures, with quotas per country for the European Union to take our requests into account. In France, we must exceed 55,000 signatures and respect a very strict procedure (for this reason we ask for your identity card number, for example).

knarf

France is the 6th highest user of pesticide in the world and the 4th highest user per hetare!

7th highest, according to this: http://www. worldatlas. com/articles/top-pesticide-consuming-countries-of-the-world. html

Looking at Europe it is notable that it is the main wine-producing countries that are the biggest users, and I believe this is due to the need to prevent mould on the grapes.

France's main other use is apparently on cereal crops, so your salad should not be affected too much!

This thread methinks is going nowhere ! Could I ask why those who seem to dislike many things French keep on going there. Are there no alternatives ?? BTW - I have been taking the van to France for around 45 years and just love the place, pity it is not warmer in winter as we much prefer it to Spain.

• Like 1

It's not that I personally dislike French things it's just that I don't agree with all the people who appear to wear rose tinted glasses and think everything French is best and won't accept the opinion of the world food experts who say that the standard of French cuisine has deteriorated over the last decade.

I go to France because camping is more relaxed and there is rarely any need to book in advance,also I like French people and their way of life!

knarf

• Like 3

I go to France because camping is more relaxed and there is rarely any need to book in advance,also I like French people and their way of life!

knarf

I do agree very much but also believe that there is still excellent value to be found, although maybe not in the "holiday" destinations. One of our €12 menus du jour was just round the corner from the campsite at Mareuil sur Cher in an unprepossessing cafe. There was a large back room with 20 or so local people in it - road workers, staff from the Mairie etc. The menu consisted of a cold buffet with lots of salads and cold meats, the plats du jour were poulet basquaise with rice (which I had and it was very good) or leeks wrapped in ham with a Bechamel sauce which my wife had and said was excellent. This was followed by choice of 4 or 5 cheeses - self served and at the proper temperature - then tarte aux pommes. Coffee and 0. 25 litres of wine per person were included.

While this would not qualify as "fine dining" we felt it would be impossible to get anything nearly as good for the price in the UK.

And as for food "experts" - they're the ones who think that making ice cream with bacon and eggs and turning it into foam is a good idea. . . . . .

Edited by iansoady
  • Like 1

I find the best lunchtime value for money meals are at Les Routier restuarants,transport cafe environment but good value and surprisingly often good quality,it's one of the few places I haven't found the quality to suffer.

Unfortunately a lot of the criticism of French cuisine is coming from members of the public and travel journalists who have no inclination to make arty f rty foods.

knarf

An amusing,I suppose bon mot, some years ago we called into a Les Routiers outside Bergerac and after navigating some road tankers we parked next to some ducks on a pond. .....we had a chat with a couple of the tanker drivers who were on a second demi- litre of Rose. ..and the special of the day was brought,unasked for, and guess what 'duck'.......so blue they must have still been swimming when we arrived! Too blue for us but we ate the veg and the rolls. ...and our unused wine flask was picked up by one of the drivers on his way out!

geoff

We find pot noddles weigh next to nothing, so we always take plenty when go to the continent. At least yo know what you are having.

• Like 1

This thread methinks is going nowhere ! Could I ask why those who seem to dislike many things French keep on going there. Are there no alternatives ?? BTW - I have been taking the van to France for around 45 years and just love the place, pity it is not warmer in winter as we much prefer it to Spain.

We don't - but we used to be staunch regulars.

Haven't been to France for quite a few years now as found Spain, Italy (and this year Croatia and Slovenia) far more enjoyable. None of the French "attitude", better weather, lots of history and a genuine welcoming people. Spain has been a real eye-opener for us, but we do prefer the more Spanish areas as opposed to the likes of "Benidorm" and "Malaga". However, there is something for everyone and the weather is good through the winter.

We were actually due to go back to the Ardeche en-route back from Croatia and Slovenia but decided it really couldn't compete with where we are. ..

As the OP we love going to France except that we thought the prices are increased a fair bit and in some instances goods were probably cheaper in the UK without taking the exchange rate it consideration. This is probably due to the COL there increasing a fair bit. We also think meals are generally over priced for what you get however that is up to individual taste. We would still go back to France and pay whatever the price as long as we enjoy ourselves.

• Like 1

We are off to the tourist areas in the next 4wks, will let everyone know what the costs are.

Despite all the talk of costs rising and the exchange rate falling through the floor, we still love the place. Back for our 3rd trip over there in 4yrs and it just offers so much more than the uk. Now, before certain individuals bemoan our choice of France to the uk, we absolutely love Devon and Cornwall but fancied something with more reliable weather and a change from areas we have been to many a time over the years

• Like 1

I don't recall any posts about the choice of France over the UK,the main thrust of the debate has been about the cost of food etc and the quality of the food etc.

I live on the Somerset/Devon/Dorset border and never camp in the UK,,overcrowded, overpriced and expensive parking,Mainland EU for me everytime!

knarf

As the OP we love going to France except that we thought the prices are increased a fair bit and in some instances goods were probably cheaper in the UK without taking the exchange rate it consideration. This is probably due to the COL there increasing a fair bit.

You may be interested in this site: http://www. inflation. EU/inflation-rates/france which indicates that CPI in France was 0. 18% in 2016 and, so far in 2017, 1. 06%. Not much compared with the UK!

Price and value are very subjective when it comes to food. Actually it is subjective when it comes to most things.

I have had plenty of £10 carvery meals in the U. K. That have represented in my opinion appalling value for money. Equally about 10 days ago we went for a tasting menu with wine for £55. We thought was superb value for money as a treat. There were two other couples eating at the same time and we did the most un British thing and actually all talked as we all enjoyed the food so much. Same night same Restaurant another couple stormed out because they couldn't order chips as I say it's subjective.

I have, had good meals in France and bad meals in France but I have can more of the latter than the former. But I am happy to play menu roulette I am fat enough to miss a meal if I really don't like it. But in reality normally I do like it.

As the £ has dropped 15% against the €, as part of our journey to the sunlit uplands. It is bound to seem more expensive than previous years because it is almost in possible not to do a mental conversion back into £££'s

• Like 1

If you think you ate food in a Michelin restaurant for £32 each you're mistaken. You can't buy a decent curry for that sort of Money. We're on completely different wavelengths and there's absolutely no point in discussing this subject any further. Enjoy your chips mate!

How condescending!

knarf

• Like 1