Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

France And Costs

Not sure if it is just us, but we thought that food stuff goods in France were more expensive in Euros than the same time last year in June? Has any one else noticed this or is it our imagination? Quite a number of food stuff was more expensive than in the UK however the quality was far superior.

Definitely so, and eating out seems to have gone up too. Not many places offering lunchtime plats du jour.

The £ has depreciated making Euro prices seem higher. As a consolation, tourists coming to the UK enjoy cheaper prices.

We have noticed that prices of food and drink in the supermarkets have risen steeply over the last 2 years. I also agree that restaurants have become a bit dearer. (Forget the exchange rate which is an entirely separate matter).

This week in France we bought a Melon for 3 times the UK price of last week. We still love the place though.

Definitely so, and eating out seems to have gone up too. Not many places offering lunchtime plats du jour.

We noticed that too. Perhaps they have run out of Canard?

?...however the quality was far superior.

Do you think so?

We felt that certain fruits (pears, grapes and apples) were all 'past their best' when we visited supermarche. We do like crunchy apples and pears but the ones we bought (several supermarkets and a street market) lasted only a few days before they went soft and mealy. I do wonder if, like the bread, which goes to concrete in 24hrs, they don't expect long life in fruit and veg?

Of course France uses mainly its own produce unlike the UK supermarkets that fly in fresh fruit from Africa.

All in all we felt France had got more expensive before applying the euro conversion and the quality wasn't that great. ...apart from some of their delicacies.

I'd be very surprised if the availability of the "Menu/plat du jour" has reduced - it is the French working-man's main meal. It's rare for a restaurant not to offer one at lunchtime, but if you're a visitor you're likely to be given a Carte which doesn't show it - you may have to ask.

For fresher produce, go to the market, not the supermarket.

The "run out of Canard" comment was made in jest, but there has been a severe outbreak of bird flu in the South West so it may be truer than you think! :)

I have never felt that the quality of the vegetables and salad in a supermarket are as good as the UK and certainly not as cheap.

• Like 1

We found that the culinary essentials, ie Magnum ice creams and wine, were quite a bit cheaper!

• Like 1

I'd be very surprised if the availability of the "Menu/plat du jour" has reduced - it is the French working-man's main meal. It's rare for a restaurant not to offer one at lunchtime, but if you're a visitor you're likely to be given a Carte which doesn't show it - you may have to ask.

For fresher produce, go to the market, not the supermarket.

The "run out of Canard" comment was made in jest, but there has been a severe outbreak of bird flu in the South West so it may be truer than you think! :)

I should have quantified my remark about veg and fruit being tastier as we bought mainly from the market in Castellion however other stuff we had to buy from LIDL or Carrefour as they were the nearest markets.

I do wonder if, like the bread, which goes to concrete in 24hrs, they don't expect long life in fruit and veg?

Aah so we are not the only ones that thinks the bread goes like concrete. It is very tasty if you eat the bread on the day of purchase but the next day you have to chuck it. We prefer the softer baguette type bread that you can buy from LIDL. The sandwich bread bought in supermarkets is generally not very nice.

"Of course France uses mainly its own produce unlike the UK supermarkets that fly in fresh fruit from Africa."

In France at the moment and apart from some Apricots and Peaches along with a similar quantity from Spain a lot of fruit and veg in the supermarkets is imported.

knarf

I do wonder if, like the bread, which goes to concrete in 24hrs, they don't expect long life

French bread is,by law, made of only four ingredients. .flour, water,salt & yeast. ...no oils. ...it is then steam baked which is why it lasts for, at most, a day. ...which is the reason for boulangeries being open first thing in the morning and then again after lunch,so fresh bread is available again.

geoff

• Like 3

Aah so we are not the only ones that thinks the bread goes like concrete. It is very tasty if you eat the bread on the day of purchase but the next day you have to chuck it. We prefer the softer baguette type bread that you can buy from LIDL. The sandwich bread bought in supermarkets is generally not very nice.

The French buy their bread (baguettes) daily or twice daily. Sandwich bread is used for croque-monsieur or toast.

Strangely, Lidl and Aldi sell UK style sandwiches that are very good value

Bagettes have to be bought within a couple of hours of when you need them, in the afternoon for an evening meal.

If they go hard don't chuck them they make good pizza's.

Been out in France for a couple of months! Not noticed much diierence over last year in restaurants. Plate de jour still available.

Have been disappointed with the quality of vegetables in the markets though. Put that down to the heat! Lidl has provided much fresher veg.

As for the bread, well we buy it as we need it.

Wine still as cheap and just as good!

If you're looking for sliced sandwich or toasting bread and you're near a Super U, look for their own label "Le Gourmand" loaves. They do a wholemeal and a cereal variety and in our opinion they're far better than any other wrapped sliced bread.

• Like 1

When we first went to France some 30 years ago if it wasn't French they didn't sell it. Now I can't believe the amount of fruit and veg that they import and why? A place with the range of climate and land surely could grow almost everything that they need.

Talking of French bread : I once asked a French baker for - une grande baguette . ... . he replied with exasperation - C'est une BAGUE !!!

Duh !!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Shirl250
  • Like 1

When we first went to France some 30 years ago if it wasn't French they didn't sell it. Now I can't believe the amount of fruit and veg that they import and why? A place with the range of climate and land surely could grow almost everything that they need.

Economics. Supermarkets want the cheapest produce just like in UK.

Have found over the years that fruit and veg have become less seasonal in France as more is brought over from Spain, etc.

Sandwiches - not just in Lidl and Aldi but most of the main supermarkets - haven't bought any over there as it would spoil my holiday.

As to costs - we have found that costs have increased for certain things but others have gone down - our holiday of 4 weeks cost the same as the previous year with no major changes in our lifestyle whilst on holiday.

When we first went to France some 30 years ago if it wasn't French they didn't sell it.

In 1982 we went to La Baie near Carnac and a guide on the site said " we have found a supermarket that sells other than French Wine!".....it was an Auchan some miles away, yes they had Third World in limited quantities but NOT Spanish at all. ..BUT at a few cents a bottle for the local stuff,in plastic bottles, we didn't bother till we went home!

geoff

Not noticed any major changes. Feel it's just the poor exchange rate that pushes this years costs up. As for the bread I love it without the preservatives and also got no issues eating it when it starts to go a bit harder . Love the crusty baguettes, wife prefers them softer. Think the fruit hasn't lasted due to the heat. We buy in smaller quantities but more often.

• Like 1

Talking of French bread : I once asked a French baker for - une grande baguette . .. . . he replied with exasperation - C'est une BAGUE !!!

Duh !!! :rolleyes:

Are you sure he wasn't proposing marriage?

Une BAGUE is a ring.

knarf

• Like 1

We found that the culinary essentials, ie Magnum ice creams and wine, were quite a bit cheaper!

The going rate for a Magnum Classic is €2. 50 today in France. Call it £2. 25. What is it in the UK?

The going rate for a Magnum Classic is 2. 50 today in France. Call it £2. 25. What is it in the UK?

Pretty much the same I'd say