Sign in to follow this  
milkymarsh

Dometic Rmd8551 - Ventilator Kit Instructions

The temperature is set to 20c for the fans to operate,which with current weather means that they are running constantly. The upside is that the fridge has never been so good.

John.

6 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I would have thought one fan by lower vent to push up the air and another at the top to extract the warm or hot air to give the cooling effect over the fins?

It's marginally more efficient to use fans in the lower vent to blow air in as the cooler air is more dense.

Taking all into consideration there should be no necessity to fit a ventilator kit onto any fridge as the fridge should work in any cold or heat.   After all how do they manage with the same brand of fridge in hot weather in Africa and Australia where it gets a lot hotter than 26 or 30C?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Taking all into consideration there should be no necessity to fit a ventilator kit onto any fridge as the fridge should work in any cold or heat.   After all how do they manage with the same brand of fridge in hot weather in Africa and Australia where it gets a lot hotter than 26 or 30C?

Well that maybe the case but possibly the same fridge has been installed taking into account the recommended fitting instructions supplied as opposed to just throwing it in without the correct tolerances being adhered to which appears to be the case on UK spec vans ;)

The specification sheet supplied with the dometic fridge i have installed actually states upto 30 degrees. ......before a fan is required.

Edited by charlieboy2608
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Uk caravans are not intended for hot climates (don’t laugh! Read your handbook) Fridges fitted into UK caravans have range ratings suitable for UK climate. (Read your fridge handbook) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Most Aussies would use a compressor fridge which cools directly, not an absorption type which needs heat to operate

3 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Most Aussies would use a compressor fridge which cools directly, not an absorption type which needs heat to operate

Thats what i assumed but didnt know-thank you for confirming it.

30 minutes ago, Ern said:

Uk caravans are not intended for hot climates (don’t laugh! Read your handbook) Fridges fitted into UK caravans have range ratings suitable for UK climate. (Read your fridge handbook) 

Are they saying that they are selling you a caravan that is not fit for purpose as it cannot be use don the continent in places like Spain, Italy, France etc?  I will have a read of the handbook as was not very happy last weekend when frozen food started defrosting in the freezer part!

3 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Are they saying that they are selling you a caravan that is not fit for purpose as it cannot be use don the continent in places like Spain, Italy, France etc?  I will have a read of the handbook as was not very happy last weekend when frozen food started defrosting in the freezer part!

As I previously wrote-they are suitable upto 30 degrees-any temperature above,but upto what temperature i dont know-dometic state on their website you can aid cooling by fitting a fan complete with a thermostat.

Your not alone in being unhappy with your fridge performance though!

As a matter of interest what caravan do you have?

What make of fridge and size-under counter /tall etc. .

Awning side or off side?

Edited by charlieboy2608

6 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

They use a mix of fridges. Three way ones are popular with campers.

37 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I often wonder whether caravans are meant to be used outdoors!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

As I previously wrote-they are suitable upto 30 degrees-any temperature above,but upto what temperature i dont know-dometic state on their website you can aid cooling by fitting a fan complete with a thermostat.

Your not alone in being unhappy with your fridge performance though!

As a matter of interest what caravan do you have?

What make of fridge and size-under counter /tall etc. .

Awning side or off side?

We have the Dometic RMSL 8501 fitted in our caravan.   We had the same fridge in the previous caravan and had endless issues with the alarm sounding even though the door was closed.   Never had it long enough in really hot weather to determine if there was an issue.   Prior to that we had a Thetford double door fridge which while not perfect worked okay in hot weather, but had 3 repairs done to it within the first two years.   Two were something to do with the electric element? and the other was a corroded PC board.

On the Dometic website the suggested retail selling price for the genuine Dometic fan vent kit is about £52 however retailers are suggesting a price of £80+ with some as high as £103.   Can any one please suggest a retailer that is reasonably priced?  Thanks.

On 07/07/2018 at 09:59, Durbanite said:

On the Dometic website the suggested retail selling price for the genuine Dometic fan vent kit is about £52 however retailers are suggesting a price of £80+ with some as high as £103.   Can any one please suggest a retailer that is reasonably priced?  Thanks.

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/183257972179

Although I note there is some comment about listing accuracy.

17 hours ago, TinShack said:

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/183257972179

Although I note there is some comment about listing accuracy.

Incidentally I have one of the above from that source, it came in a Dometic box, and the fan is labelled Dometic. Looks to be genuine so don't know why the listing has an 'incorrect description' comment.

On 19/06/2017 at 09:05, Durbanite said:

We have an issue with our fridge RM8XX5 not freezing properly as it can take up to 3 days before the food is frozen in the freezer. Also we get a lot of ice forming on the fins at the back of the freezer compartment. Another thing we have noticed is that the alarm sounds indicating that the door is not closed properly although it is making good contact. We are now using the latch and you have to push the door tight to prevent the alarm sounding.

In hot weather like at present, the fridge really struggles and will not freeze anything which is why we considered the fan route however I would have thought that 2 fans would be better especially if they were sucking out the air into the awning? At the moment I have a stand alone fan in the awning blowing air in the bottom vent.

I believe if you check the instruction book it will say that the freezer compartment in a caravan fridge is NOT designed to freeze anything more than ice cubes. What it IS designed to do is keep frozen food, frozen. Big difference! 

I have fitted 12V extractor fans on the top vents of 3 motorhomes and 2 caravans, the difference it makes, especially in really hot weather, is amazing. Mine is a thermostatically controlled computer cooling fan (£5 off eBay) with its own dedicated (and switched) 12 v supply. 

Andy

Has anyone managed to fit the Dometic fan kit without sliding the fridge out 6 inches? I rather like the look of this kit due to the clip on thermostat and using the fridge power supply so I am wondering if the fan is difficult to fit with the fridge in situ, could I just attach it to the back of the upper grill to blow out the hot air. This would be as simple as some of the home made solutions but with the Dometic thermostat and power lead which will avoid routing cable through to a controller in the caravan.

On 18/06/2017 at 22:30, milkymarsh said:

Hope this is of use. Today I fitted a ventilator kit to my Dometic RMD8551 (on a Bailey Unicorn Cartagena), as we found that it struggles with the heat a bit & wanted to do something to help things along.

We went down the route of genuine Dometic kit, as it connects directly into the fridge electrics, so no need for separate 12v supplies.

This kit will do lots of fridge variations, but I thought that it was useful to show how it is installed as the instructions are very much like an ikea style with pics, but nothing of real use

Hope this helps

DIY Fitting Dometic Ventilator Set. pdf 1.46 MB · 302 downloads

Did the official Dometec solution fix the problem?

On 18/06/2017 at 22:30, milkymarsh said:

Hope this is of use. Today I fitted a ventilator kit to my Dometic RMD8551 (on a Bailey Unicorn Cartagena), as we found that it struggles with the heat a bit & wanted to do something to help things along.

We went down the route of genuine Dometic kit, as it connects directly into the fridge electrics, so no need for separate 12v supplies.

This kit will do lots of fridge variations, but I thought that it was useful to show how it is installed as the instructions are very much like an ikea style with pics, but nothing of real use

Hope this helps

DIY Fitting Dometic Ventilator Set. pdf 1.46 MB · 302 downloads

On 05/07/2018 at 10:35, Durbanite said:

30c in Australia in the summer is just a 'nice day' hot days are 35+, 40 and folks complain it's too hot. When we got to Adelaide airport in Jan digital Thermometer in daughters car was reading 50c. That's a proper 'stinker' !!!!

4 hours ago, TenStar said:

30c in Australia in the summer is just a 'nice day' hot days are 35+, 40 and folks complain it's too hot. When we got to Adelaide airport in Jan digital Thermometer in daughters car was reading 50c. That's a proper 'stinker' !!!!

Dometic fridges are rated for the country (region) of use. Australia gets a completely different unit to the UK.

If fitting a  fan unit it pays to install as per Dometic's instructions.  Primary consideration is that the gap between the back of fridge and caravan wall should not exceed 25mm.  Reduce the gap if necessary with deflector plates or foam insulation. The gap above the rear of the fridge body and the underside of the worktop should closed.  Caravan manufacturers are supposed to fit an angled blanking plate here but few UK manufacturers bother. The fan(s) should be mounted on the evaporator tube directing air flow over the finned condensor.

With correct installation, a fridge intended for UK use will reduce ambient temperature by 30°C so if it hits 35 the fridge will struggle.  When I worked in western France for two full summer seasons, living in my caravan, fridge fans didn't do the job so I invested in a mains/12v  fridge box with Suwafuji swing motor compressor, not cheap, but super efficient, reasonably quiet and can be used as a -25°C freezer if necessary.

image.png.e0ef2b805aa09b628000024a0b9ea688.png

Hi

We have in the past had the official Dometic kit and also our own Brummer fans fitted. Both help, but in my opinion, should'nt be needed.

Running the fridge on gas in very hot weather was our "cure".

Thankfully, the new 10 series fridges are a lot better!