Sign in to follow this  
milkymarsh

Dometic Rmd8551 - Ventilator Kit Instructions

Hope this is of use. Today I fitted a ventilator kit to my Dometic RMD8551 (on a Bailey Unicorn Cartagena), as we found that it struggles with the heat a bit & wanted to do something to help things along.

We went down the route of genuine Dometic kit, as it connects directly into the fridge electrics, so no need for separate 12v supplies.

This kit will do lots of fridge variations, but I thought that it was useful to show how it is installed as the instructions are very much like an ikea style with pics, but nothing of real use

Hope this helps

DIY Fitting Dometic Ventilator Set. pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant John and great posting!

I have a better insight into what needs to be done when i install this kit in my Cartagena. Not quite as straight forward as is made out with the Dometic instructions then.

• Like 1

One last comment on this one. The genuine kits can be found on various websites at sensible prices (less than £50), as opposed to the Bailey parts website, which has it listed at around £100

We have an issue with our fridge RM8XX5 not freezing properly as it can take up to 3 days before the food is frozen in the freezer. Also we get a lot of ice forming on the fins at the back of the freezer compartment. Another thing we have noticed is that the alarm sounds indicating that the door is not closed properly although it is making good contact. We are now using the latch and you have to push the door tight to prevent the alarm sounding.

In hot weather like at present, the fridge really struggles and will not freeze anything which is why we considered the fan route however I would have thought that 2 fans would be better especially if they were sucking out the air into the awning? At the moment I have a stand alone fan in the awning blowing air in the bottom vent.

We have an issue with our fridge RM8XX5 not freezing properly as it can take up to 3 days before the food is frozen in the freezer. Also we get a lot of ice forming on the fins at the back of the freezer compartment. Another thing we have noticed is that the alarm sounds indicating that the door is not closed properly although it is making good contact. We are now using the latch and you have to push the door tight to prevent the alarm sounding.

In hot weather like at present, the fridge really struggles and will not freeze anything which is why we considered the fan route however I would have thought that 2 fans would be better especially if they were sucking out the air into the awning? At the moment I have a stand alone fan in the awning blowing air in the bottom vent.

Re the alarm.

Ours has done this from new. Dealer has always said that they are unable to replicate. It's just an annoyance, we now have the Babbitt of giving the door an extra shove after sitting which generally works.

I feel there must be a sensor, probably magnetic. If anyone knows how to access it I would be grateful.

Thanks to the OP for the information, I did my own cobble with computer fans and digital thermostats. It works very well but if I could have bought a reasonably priced kit at that time it would have made things easier. However I did manage mine via the vents and did not need to remove the fridge.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Great write-up Milky. We have same fridge and so far have had no probs but thats not to say we wont in the future so read this with interest.

Wonder why the thermostat has to be max 5mm from the evaporator tray? Guess this is more to do with the siting on the pipe as opposed to any part the evaporator tray may play? I ask this as i re-routed our evaporator pipe so it exits outside the caravan using the clip (showing in your pics) in the vent housing as opposed to into the reservoir. I left the reservoir in place so could still position the thermostat max 5mm from it though.

Thx again.

Hi milkymarsh the website link you provide to buy the fan kit is now costing just under £70 with postage . Great instructions on fitting thanks. The website part looks exactly the same as bailey but doesn't refer to the fridge number which is in our case an RMD8551 in unicorn Pamplona but if its where you obtained the fan I will order it. Since you fitted has the fridge worked better in higher temperatures. grateful for any help as we were disappointed with the fridges performance at lower temperatures and want to use it in the south of france this summer.

Hi milkymarsh

Has this worked for you.   I bought and fitted the Dometic ventilator kit,  fitting the temp. switch as per instructions.   In Spain/Portugal the fridge was not cooling sufficiently but the fans were not turning on.   I bypassed the temp switch using a blade fuse, the fans worked and fridge operated well.

I have been in contact with Dometic but they have not been very helpful.

Wow-great write up and based on Dometic's recommended siting.

Having read through many threads concerning extra fridge cooling on this forum the placing seemed to vary-with different people having varying results.

You have now provided a definative anwser which i,for one, will be following :Thankyou:

:goodpost:Maybe somebody who knows could have this pinned?

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 22:30, milkymarsh said:

Hope this is of use. Today I fitted a ventilator kit to my Dometic RMD8551 (on a Bailey Unicorn Cartagena), as we found that it struggles with the heat a bit & wanted to do something to help things along.

We went down the route of genuine Dometic kit, as it connects directly into the fridge electrics, so no need for separate 12v supplies.

This kit will do lots of fridge variations, but I thought that it was useful to show how it is installed as the instructions are very much like an ikea style with pics, but nothing of real use

Hope this helps

DIY Fitting Dometic Ventilator Set. pdf

Can I ask milkymarsh was the Dometic RML 9431 listed on your fan kit and if so was the fitting location in the same place?

Thanks in advance.

On 19/06/2017 at 09:05, Durbanite said:

We have an issue with our fridge RM8XX5 not freezing properly as it can take up to 3 days before the food is frozen in the freezer.  

I don’t think the freezer is supposed to be capable of freezing food. You can put frozen food into it and it will keep it frozen, and you can freez ice cubes. We have found ours to be ok usually, but as a precaution I fitted a double fan in the vent. It’s a kit I bought for about £50 and has a thermostatic control to go from no fan/one fan/two fans. The biggest issue in my opinion is whether the fridge side of the caravan is in direct sun. Right now we have 30-34C every day, fridge side of caravan is in shade, freezer is working well, 3 deg C in bottom of fridge, fridge on position 4. Auxiliary fan is not switched on (not needed).

Edited by Ern

7 hours ago, Ern said:

I don’t think the freezer is supposed to be capable of freezing food. You can put frozen food into it and it will keep it frozen, and you can freez ice cubes. We have found ours to be ok usually, but as a precaution I fitted a double fan in the vent. It’s a kit I bought for about £50 and has a thermostatic control to go from no fan/one fan/two fans. The biggest issue in my opinion is whether the fridge side of the caravan is in direct sun. Right now we have 30-34C every day, fridge side of caravan is in shade, freezer is working well, 3 deg C in bottom of fridge, fridge on position 4. Auxiliary fan is not switched on (not needed).

No issue with the same type of fridge and model freezing food In Spain in May however over the past few days in Christchurch is struggled and was with no awning up and the vents facing away from the mid day and afternoon sun.  

8 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

:goodpost:Maybe somebody who knows could have this pinned?

Tis done!

Our Mobile Engineer fitted a double fan to our Clubman just before we went to France,the fridge worked much more efficiently in the high temperatures than previous tours.

John.

Also if I recall correctly the fridge should be sealed in properly so that there is air flow over the fins to help with the cooling?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WispMan said:

Tis done!

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Also if I recall correctly the fridge should be sealed in properly so that there is air flow over the fins to help with the cooling?

Yes-I downloaded the fitting instructions for my dometic fridge.

Not many caravan manufacturers seem to be able to read instructions. ...but then again how many guys do :D

I did make an additional change though which was to insure the condensate/evapourator pipe?? tube fitted into the lower vent where there is a purpose made bracket so it dribbles outside the caravan not behind the fridge.

Edited by charlieboy2608

13 hours ago, jwa said:

Our Mobile Engineer fitted a double fan to our Clubman just before we went to France,the fridge worked much more efficiently in the high temperatures than previous tours.

John.

Did you happen to notice/take pictures of where your mobile man installed the fans and are they controlled by a thermostat or switch?

Where they Dometic fans?-What size are they?

Edited by charlieboy2608

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 09:41, JCloughie said:

Re the alarm.

Ours has done this from new. Dealer has always said that they are unable to replicate. It's just an annoyance, we now have the Babbitt of giving the door an extra shove after sitting which generally works.

I feel there must be a sensor, probably magnetic. If anyone knows how to access it I would be grateful.

Thanks to the OP for the information, I did my own cobble with computer fans and digital thermostats. It works very well but if I could have bought a reasonably priced kit at that time it would have made things easier. However I did manage mine via the vents and did not need to remove the fridge.

John

Hi

I notice you too,have a Lunar but unsure whether you have a tall fridge or under counter tyoe or what make it is.

My question though is-i notice you too have installed fridge fans and i'd like to know where you positioned them and how you control them.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I did make an additional change though which was to insure the condensate/evaporator pipe?? tube fitted into the lower vent where there is a purpose made bracket so it dribbles outside the caravan not behind the fridge.

It is actually a recommeded modification by Dometic and we had it done before we took delivery  of the caravan otherwise you end up with a pool of water on the floor.

2 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Hi

I notice you too,have a Lunar but unsure whether you have a tall fridge or under counter tyoe or what make it is.

My question though is-i notice you too have installed fridge fans and i'd like to know where you positioned them and how you control them.

Thanks in advance.

Mine is the Dometic under counter fridge.

I think I may have some pictures of my fan installation but I have used one of these:

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/12V-24V-220V-Digital-LED-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Control-Switch-Probe/132653571491?hash=item1ee2c4dda3%3Am%3Ami_5-VlxMRv2gehmvdYVe2w&var=431984586113

with two computer fans.  The fans are easily available at lots of prices but some will be quieter than others.

I cable tied the the temp sensor to the bot at the back which gets hot first.  (Not the flue though).  The controller is on top of the fridge which means removing the fridge control panel to get at it for any adjustment.  It could have gone in the adjacent cupboard, I also nearly put it behind the fridge to access via the vent but was not sure it would stand the elements.

The fans are fitted behind the top vent to blow out, had to form my own brackets.

It works well.  We had a month or so in 30 plus heat without issue.  It can be heard switching on and off but not too intrusive.  It does not stay on for long so I think it has a quick effect.

The Dometic kit will be much easier to fit, but I quite like to ‘beat the system’ so to speak.  And mine cost less than £15.

If I find the pictures they will be added.

John

25 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

I think I may have some pictures of my fan installation but I have used one of these:

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/12V-24V-220V-Digital-LED-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Control-Switch-Probe/132653571491?hash=item1ee2c4dda3%3Am%3Ami_5-VlxMRv2gehmvdYVe2w&var=431984586113

with two computer fans.  The fans are easily available at lots of prices but some will be quieter than others.

I cable tied the the temp sensor to the bot at the back which gets hot first.  (Not the flue though).  The controller is on top of the fridge which means removing the fridge control panel to get at it for any adjustment.  It could have gone in the adjacent cupboard, I also nearly put it behind the fridge to access via the vent but was not sure it would stand the elements.

The fans are fitted behind the top vent to blow out, had to form my own brackets.

It works well.  We had a month or so in 30 plus heat without issue.  It can be heard switching on and off but not too intrusive.  It does not stay on for long so I think it has a quick effect.

The Dometic kit will be much easier to fit, but I quite like to ‘beat the system’ so to speak.  And mine cost less than £15.

John

Is the Dometic kit easier to fit - it seems to require the gas supply being disconnected and the fridge being moved - fans behind the grill surely just need the grill removed, fit the fans and re-fit the grill ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

It is actually a recommeded modification by Dometic and we had it done before we took delivery  of the caravan otherwise you end up with a pool of water on the floor.

Yes exactly. ..but a mod not everybody makes nevertheless!

48 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

John

Thanks for that John-I originally positioned the fans in the same place but according to the OP dometic instructions the fan should be located just below the lower cooler/evapourator hence I think everybody has different solutions in varying degrees to the cooling issue!

21 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Is the Dometic kit easier to fit - it seems to require the gas supply being disconnected and the fridge being moved - fans behind the grill surely just need the grill removed, fit the fans and re-fit the grill ?

I think you are mis understanding there positioning!

If you look again at the OP dometic instructions the fan sits below the lower cooler/evapourator and is attached to the back of the fridge.

I have just took my grill off and access is reasonable and I have  a 120mm fan to hand with no need to disconnect the gas feed pipe.

You can clearly see the indentations shown on the OP diagram.

BTW I have the tall dometic RML 9431.

Edited by charlieboy2608

3 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Did you happen to notice/take pictures of where your mobile man installed the fans and are they controlled by a thermostat or switch?

Where they Dometic fans?-What size are they?

These are the pictures of the fans and the controls which are positioned behind the lower panel,no they are not Dometic fans.

John. 793357C7-23A7-4B78-A34C-BC6B13EBF282.thumb.jpeg.8d6b10e01ea7badcf77f80f7ebd29b22.jpeg3ABFB61E-68F2-4AE7-BEC9-13593FF353B1.thumb.jpeg.69a65cf3c51e700db1a4f634c542d9b0.jpeg3ABFB61E-68F2-4AE7-BEC9-13593FF353B1.thumb.jpeg.69a65cf3c51e700db1a4f634c542d9b0.jpeg

Edited by jwa

I would have thought one fan by lower vent to push up the air and another at the top to extract the warm or hot air to give the cooling effect over the fins?

49 minutes ago, jwa said:

These are the pictures of the fans and the controls which are positioned behind the lower panel,no they are not Dometic fans.

John. 793357C7-23A7-4B78-A34C-BC6B13EBF282.thumb.jpeg.8d6b10e01ea7badcf77f80f7ebd29b22.jpeg3ABFB61E-68F2-4AE7-BEC9-13593FF353B1.thumb.jpeg.69a65cf3c51e700db1a4f634c542d9b0.jpeg3ABFB61E-68F2-4AE7-BEC9-13593FF353B1.thumb.jpeg.69a65cf3c51e700db1a4f634c542d9b0.jpeg

Interesting-thats how i positioned my fans too!

Whats the gap between the fins and the wall of the caravan?

Does this install work for you?

The OP dometic instructions suggest cooling the lower cooler/evapourator. ...so its sited below it.

20 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I would have thought one fan by lower vent to push up the air and another at the top to extract the warm or hot air to give the cooling effect over the fins?

But only if you have the correct gap between the caravan wall and the fins of course otherwise most of the chimney effect isnt directed over the fins!

5 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

But only if you have the correct gap between the caravan wall and the fins of course otherwise most of the chimney effect isnt directed over the fins!

Typical of caravan manufacturers they cut corners where they can.  The fitting instructions for the fridges recommend a much narrower gap than is left, I think it’s 25mm.  To do exactly as you say.

——-

Not sure if the fan positioning is that crucial, so long as the air flow is increased over the rear of the fridge.  So, whether mine are fitted properly or not, they work.  I can tell as the thermostat cuts in and out very regularly and, the heat extracted can be felt.

Although not too intrusive, I wish I had invested in better quality fans.  However, I can make them quieter by wiring in series.  I tried this when I fitted them and the worked OK.  They would just be on longer.

John