Sign in to follow this  
springtime

Daylight Running Lights

Seeing some cars in the evening with only front lights, DRL's. I wonder if drivers are unaware they only have front lights and nothing at the rear.

macafee2

Most cars have only front DRLs. Not an issue for me, mine has automatic xenon headlights. :D

Edited by thebriars

Mine has Xenon headlights. .. :D

Mine has Xenon headlights. . . :D

Some Xenon headlights are better than others - 25w is permitted now and doesn't need washers - basic 35w are ok - but cornering versions are brilliant on twisty roads.

The LED DLR's on the Merc double as indicators, they are normally white then turn orange when you indicate.

I have adaptive LED headlights lights that are streets ahead of the BiXenons that were on the Lexus 450.

Not sure of the significance of the headlight type in relation to the OP's question unless they are automatic.

Mine has front and rear drl's. It makes sense, as they double as side lights.

Good for me as I have come to rely on auto lights so sometimes forget to turn on the headlights til a bit late. At least I am still lit all round.

John

• Like 1

Auto lights are variable - some don't come on until it's almost dark, others come on far too early

I look up to you lot as I don't know what DRL's are ;)

I look up to you lot as I don't know what DRL's are ;)

Day Running Lights.

Fronts only on my DS4, which I believe is all that's required by legislation.

Seeing some cars in the evening with only front lights, DRL's. I wonder if drivers are unaware they only have front lights and nothing at the rear.

macafee2

I've wondered the very same thing, especially when on faster roads either dark or getting dark. What harm would it do for the rear lights to come automatically too. Bit of an oversight IMHO.

• Like 3

My Santa Fe only has front DLRs, but my Mazda MX-5 (Mk4 2016) has both front and rear, however they only come on when the car is actually moving, they even go off at traffic lights !

Fiat Doblo : Front and Rear

Skoda Fabia : Front and Rear

BMW 3 Series : Front and Rear

On all three, the dash lights don't come on until you (or the car) switch the lights on.

Other cars : No DRL's

Bike : DRL Front & Rear, dash light on all the time.

Mike

Audi SQ5

Front DRLs only - rears can be coded in but personally I don't see the value in that.

Sidelights/position lights use the same LED bulbs but they dim to about 50% brightness.

Strictly speaking DRLs (even if rears are on) shouldn't be used during the hours of darkness because they have a bright unfocused beam and can cause unnecessary dazzle. Clue's in the name I suppose?

Honestly its a huge black Toyota Land Cruiser, it has the gravitational pull of a small planet, and you're telling me I have to have a couple of led's on it so people know it's there, I mean it even rumbles in Braille for the sake of the blind, I ask you?

• Like 2

DRLs by definition are forward facing White lamps.

There is no such thing as a rear DRL.

The regulations for cars and vans etc after 2012 basically require them to illuminate as the key is turned to the start position.

However, it is acceptable for manufacturers to use the existing front position lamps (side lamps) to fulfil the DRL function providing those lamps meet the photometric requirements. In these circumstances although they must come on with the key they can be configured as only front lights or front and rear.

High intensity LED DRLs must extinguish or dim when dipped beam headlamps are lit and dependant on position must extinguish when the indicator is flashing.

High intensity LEDs including aftermarket fits should be wired so they cannot be used contrary to the above.

Normal lamps used to fulfil the DRL requirements do not need to extinguish unless the photometric characteristics exceed those of the normal position lamps.

Also, you are only allowed Two, so if your car is post 2012 fitted with High Intensity LED you shouldn't fit additional aftermarket kits.

Using Hi Intensity DRLS after dark by

virtue of the regulations shouldn't be possible if the correct lamps are being used.

Day Running Lights.

Doh !!

BMW X3 Front only, auto when conditions worsen, they are quite sensitive, like the driver !!

Vauxhall Astra Front only,

Our mini has front only drl's but also has auto lights that come on seemingly just at the right time.

Shogun has no drl & just me turning lights on & I haven't forgotten in 34 years. ..........

• Like 1

Our Sportage has front only DRL's and auto headlights, which come on when it gets dark and in tunnels. When I signal to turn the DRL on that side switches off until the turn signal is cancelled.

My last two cars, both Insignia's, had front only DRL's.

Edited by macSpot

The correct term for "parking/side" lights is position lights.

DRLs should extinguish when headlights are turned on as required by the regs because, by virtue of their design, they are not intended for night driving.

On my cars and probably many other makes the position lights, front and rear, can be turned on, if required, with the DRLs

Hhmm ? Mine remain on. On auto mode and are only replaced by a less bright side light when I manually turn of the auto mode. Some of these DRL's can be far too bright and I have been unable to see the indicators adjacent to them on some models. Appreciate some auto dim when you turn on the indicator but some don't creating confusion. Dangerous !!! :unsure:

Hhmm ? Mine remain on. On auto mode and are only replaced by a less bright side light when I manually turn of the auto mode. Some of these DRL's can be far too bright and I have been unable to see the indicators adjacent to them on some models. Appreciate some auto dim when you turn on the indicator but some don't creating confusion. Dangerous !!! :unsure:

Some models introduced DRL before the regs, the regulatory authority recognised exactly what you describe and when the mandated introduction of DRL s was due the latest version of the regs took this into account.

By far and away the bigger problem are aftermarket fitments. These rarely if ever are wired to account for the regs and it's not unusual to see them on at night, in multiples or obscuring other lamps.

Edited by Towtug

DRLs by definition are forward facing White lamps.

There is no such thing as a rear DRL.

The regulations for cars and vans etc after 2012 basically require them to illuminate as the key is turned to the start position.

However, it is acceptable for manufacturers to use the existing front position lamps (side lamps) to fulfil the DRL function providing those lamps meet the photometric requirements. In these circumstances although they must come on with the key they can be configured as only front lights or front and rear.

High intensity LED DRLs must extinguish or dim when dipped beam headlamps are lit and dependant on position must extinguish when the indicator is flashing.

High intensity LEDs including aftermarket fits should be wired so they cannot be used contrary to the above.

Normal lamps used to fulfil the DRL requirements do not need to extinguish unless the photometric characteristics exceed those of the normal position lamps.

Also, you are only allowed Two, so if your car is post 2012 fitted with High Intensity LED you shouldn't fit additional aftermarket kits.

Using Hi Intensity DRLS after dark by

virtue of the regulations shouldn't be possible if the correct lamps are being used.

Don't follow the first sentence. Mine has red lights on the rear which are on all the time, therefore, surely, by definition, at night they are side/position lights, but in daytime they become drl's.

My fronts are high intensity and will stay on when the switch is moved to sidelights then go out when moved to headlights. They remain on when the turning lights are used.

The rears are certainly not high intensity, but I would describe the fronts as high intensity. in fact they illuminate the road at night. Perhaps they fall below the high intensity rating required to go out when using turning lights.

So mine certainly don't follow your terms. But perhaps they are wrong. If I needed to leave lights on while parking I would have to get the book out to read the complicated procedure needed.

Not trying to say mine are the bees knees, just saying what they do.

Re after market drl lights.

I fitted a Philips set to my last car. It came with different instructions for different EU countries. (So much for conformity). For the UK they had to be wired to go out when headlights were used, If I remember, they also had to go out when side lights were used, which makes sense for parking. But as others have said, clearly some people fit them without reading the instructions. I think it's the same people who use front fog lights in clear weather.

PS. I do like they Audi where the drl's change colour and scan from inside to outside as turning lights. But it's not in my price range.

John

Edited by JCloughie

I have an Audi A4 61 plate and the cars settings allow these to be tuned off

Same situ on my 62 plate Merc

Don't follow the first sentence. Mine has red lights on the rear which are on all the time, therefore, surely, by definition, at night they are side/position lights, but in daytime they become drl's.

My fronts are high intensity and will stay on when the switch is moved to sidelights then go out when moved to headlights. They remain on when the turning lights are used.

The rears are certainly not high intensity, but I would describe the fronts as high intensity. in fact they illuminate the road at night. Perhaps they fall below the high intensity rating required to go out when using turning lights.

So mine certainly don't follow your terms. But perhaps they are wrong. If I needed to leave lights on while parking I would have to get the book out to read the complicated procedure needed.

Not trying to say mine are the bees knees, just saying what they do.

Re after market drl lights.

I fitted a Philips set to my last car. It came with different instructions for different EU countries. (So much for conformity). For the UK they had to be wired to go out when headlights were used, If I remember, they also had to go out when side lights were used, which makes sense for parking. But as others have said, clearly some people fit them without reading the instructions. I think it's the same people who use front fog lights in clear weather.

PS. I do like they Audi where the drl's change colour and scan from inside to outside as turning lights. But it's not in my price range.

John

I'm just giving you the definition from the current regs. The Red lights at the rear are defined as Rear position lamps or for certain classes of vehicle additionally End outline marker lamps.

How they operate is defined by the same Reg for Whole vehicle type approval and is therefore valid across the EU/EEA, if a vehicle is approved via the IVA process there are some slight differences from one member state to another.

I'm not a fan of the progressive turn indicators and there have been some technical concerns raised inasmuch as they don't give an instantaneous indication and can be distracting. Time will tell.