Sign in to follow this  
Benchillian

Drying The Awning

I'm thinking of fixing a length of awning rail to a batten on my house wall so I can put the pump-up porch awning up to dry when it comes home wet.

Has anyone else done this? If so, any tips? I'd like to just hang the batten(s) on brackets of some sort so I can put it up quickly and remove when finished, rather than use screws.

My awning is a Kampa Rally Pro Air 390.

We are planning something similar when the downstairs extension is complete.

The best way is to go away to another camp site and dry it on the caravan there. If it rains there, plan another trip.

• Like 7

Like it! If only I had the time.

Easy answer, drape the awning from ropes attached to the garage roof beams. Leave the main and the side doors of the garage open for a day. The awning will be dry by evening due to the through draught.

Thanks for the tip, Bessacarr425. There was a time when I could have draped an awning from the garage ceiling somehow. But 20 yrs on, there's so much stuff in it, I can just about squeeze myself in it, never mind an awning.

I might run some awning rail across our fence just in case we need to dry it out.

Where do you guys get your awning rail from ?

It might be good to have 'dryer' rail hung up, if I can find suitable location, or make space for one :unsure:

My 'van is at home so just put awning back into rail slots and let it 'hang loose'

Geoff

That's a task I'm not looking forward too :(, so far I've been able to take ours down on a dry day.

Where do you guys get your awning rail from ?

Not actually got it yet. If you google 'awning rail' you'll get various suppliers. Seems to come in 3x 1. 2 metre lengths.

Just noticed this topic. Have had a section of awning rail attached to my house rear wall for 4 years now for emergency drying. Only used once and a significant problem in feeding the awning into the rail. My rail is simply a horizontal section so to feed in need to lift the awning up, and perhaps do it on a step or conventional ladder - very difficult with a large heavy awning and almost impossible with my Kampa 390 air awning so such drying process abandoned and I will soon take down the rail.

Solution now is to take down awning early if rain is a possibility. Otherwise just blow up and lean against house - an advantage of inflatable awnings.

Brian

This worries me. ..

We live in a flat and have no garden etc. It restricts is putting the awning up as we have nowhere to dry it. ..

This worries me. . .

We live in a flat and have no garden etc. It restricts is putting the awning up as we have nowhere to dry it. . .

I also live in a first floor flat and my awning is stored in the caravan at a storage site 125 miles from my home. I spent the first two weeks of September in a very rainy North Wales. With constant checking of weather forecasts we were able to take down the awning during a dry period two days before departure.

On arrival at the next site the awning in its bag was stowed under the caravan and wasn't used for the duration of the stay. However if the awning had been taken down damp or wet at the first site it would have been erected at the second site to allow it to dry out before packing away.

Although I only have a small caravan, Bailey Ranger 460/2, I am not dependent on having to erect the awning at every site, particularly during the colder months of the year.

In past twenty years I have only once had problems with a damp awning. It was made of traditional canvas and hadn't fully dried out when departure time from the site was looming. One hour of using an electric fan heater on the damper parts resolved the problems and I was able to leave on time.

Just noticed this topic. Have had a section of awning rail attached to my house rear wall for 4 years now for emergency drying. Only used once and a significant problem in feeding the awning into the rail. My rail is simply a horizontal section so to feed in need to lift the awning up, and perhaps do it on a step or conventional ladder - very difficult with a large heavy awning and almost impossible with my Kampa 390 air awning so such drying process abandoned and I will soon take down the rail.

Solution now is to take down awning early if rain is a possibility. Otherwise just blow up and lean against house - an advantage of inflatable awnings.

Brian

Thanks for that info - answers my question.

There is another thread on the same topic. I've copied your post to that one.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/125176-anyone-fitted-an-awning-rail-to-their-home/

I got a few spare lengths of the fugure 8 channel used to attach the wheel cover to the draught skirt. I found some round head screws that had a head big enough to fit snugly in one side of the channel and screwed them into the rafters of my workshop. The channel then slides onto these and the awning beading slides into the other channel. Its only the roof section that needs doing. The panels I dry one by one over the landing banisters. Previously hung them over a rope stretched the length of the workshop. With the workshop doors open front and back its all dried and aired in no time. Spread a large tarp out on the back lawn, zip the panels back in and fold it up ready for next time.