Hmmm, Our First Big Problem With The New Pursuit

Getting packed up for our first trip away and encountered a big problem this afternoon:

The OH couldn't get the door open.

I got home and sure enough it would release to the first catch position but not the second.

I gave it some thought and decided that the heat on this fine summer's day had expanded the caravan and door.

Out with the hose and after a few minutes of spraying the door and adjacent panels - Hey Presto - it opened.

Closer inspection showed that the latch striker plate, which is attached to the door frame edging, was too far over, due to the edging not being fully seated. Some technical taps with a wodden mallet, seated the edging and moved the latch striker plate to where it should be.

Problem solved - for now, hopefully!

• Like 4

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Hi, similar problem with bathroom door on Coachman VIP 565/4, couldn't close the darn thing. Used a rubber hammer - effective. Will have to find a permanent solution in due course.

The Alu-Tech body does tend to change shape depending on how it is sitting or how hot the body is. I fell foul of that one.

Put the key in the lock and use it by turning to open the door catch, rather then just unlocking and then using the lever.

• Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Make sure there are no black packing pieces in the door frame that should of been removed as part of the PDI process.

CPDavis Fordingbridge

Cheers lads, no packing pieces and I did use the key, to no avail.

However I just telephoned the dealer and he knew of the the problem and cooling it down with water was the answer to getting in and then to trim 1mm off the leading edge of the latch bolt with a stanley knife.

A job for later methinks!

What is the purpose of the black packing pieces?

I still have them on my 2016 Pegasus, and assumed they were meant to be there, and had wondered what they were for. I can't now see why they were needed in the first place.

What is the purpose of the black packing pieces?

I still have them on my 2016 Pegasus, and assumed they were meant to be there, and had wondered what they were for. I can't now see why they were needed in the first place.

Not sure, I think it's when the door assembly is delivered to the factory.

Our friends had an identical problem as the OP with their brand new Unicorn a few weeks ago, and spent time adjusting lock, without success. They called a mobile fitter, who removed these pieces and all was fine.

CPDavis Fordingbridge

To CPDavis.

Thanks for the update on the packing pieces.

So much for my PDI and First Service; and they are still in situ.

The door and frame are delivered all in one unit. The packers hold every thing square until the bonding is set. Should be removed. Yet another charged for PDI not done.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

We've experienced similar with a front door/frame at a previous house - it used to get the early sun and would swell considerably in the heat. If it had been open for a few hours you'd never close it until it cooled down - it would be a good 1cm too wide of the frame! My concern with the caravan would be if you were inside and couldn't get out. I find our Pastiche door sticks and needs a gentle push/pull but that's due to the seals around the door, not the heat. Will watch out for this when we head off to the continent in August.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

Well, a hot weekend away and the problem did not re-occur.

Two other problems croped up though.

Out came the free-standing dining table from its travelling position. I raised the first set of legs and they clicked into position nice and firmly. But the second pair would not locate properly. The poorly made legs were too long at the hinge end and fouled the top of the assembly. This meant that the locking bar could not engage, Some gentle filing will correct the defect, but that's the quality you get when cheap parts are sourced.

Later that evening, with the dining table stored away, I was resting my arm on the drop down side table. It fulfilled its purpose, by droping to the floor, as the 4, 1/2" self tappers that secured (I say that loosely) the hinged bracket, ripped out of the MDF (if indeed that is what it is) back board.

There are another two pieces of MDF that hold the back board vertical and I thought that with two longer screws into that, it would all hold together nicely, but no, the existing screw holes are 1/2" either side of those, so additional pieces of wood will be placed, such the longer screws in the original holes will hold the hinged brackets securely and it will then be able to take some weight, like my laptop, on the table.

If the drop down worktop, on the side of the sink unit is secured the same way, which I suspect it is, this will also not take any loading and will fall off fairly soon, unless remedial action is taken.

Whoever thought that the hinged brackets would be securely fixed using the method used, needs to be sent off to do some engineering studies.

Screws and ripped out screw holes
post-64061-0-44457300-1497883826_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wunny

Well, a hot weekend away and the problem did not re-occur.

Two other problems croped up though.

Out came the free-standing dining table from its travelling position. I raised the first set of legs and they clicked into position nice and firmly. But the second pair would not locate properly. The poorly made legs were too long at the hinge end and fouled the top of the assembly. This meant that the locking bar could not engage, Some gentle filing will correct the defect, but that's the quality you get when cheap parts are sourced.

Later that evening, with the dining table stored away, I was resting my arm on the drop down side table. It fulfilled its purpose, by droping to the floor, as the 4, 1/2" self tappers that secured (I say that loosely) the hinged bracket, ripped out of the MDF (if indeed that is what it is) back board.

There are another two pieces of MDF that hold the back board vertical and I thought that with two longer screws into that, it would all hold together nicely, but no, the existing screw holes are 1/2" either side of those, so additional pieces of wood will be placed, such the longer screws in the original holes will hold the hinged brackets securely and it will then be able to take some weight, like my laptop, on the table.

If the drop down worktop, on the side of the sink unit is secured the same way, which I suspect it is, this will also not take any loading and will fall off fairly soon, unless remedial action is taken.

Whoever thought that the hinged brackets would be securely fixed using the method used, needs to be sent off to do some engineering studies.

Screws and ripped out screw holes

attachicon.gifside table. jpg

The extendable flap in the Unicorn is no better,leant on it shortly after we bought it and out came the very short screws.

Luckily you can get behind the partition that the flap is screwed to so I drilled straight through and put a wooden batten at the back of it and secured it with some bolts.

No further problem.

Ian

Took our Pursuit in to get a few bits sorted and they had a 2017 430/4 in the showroom, I noticed the front table had been ripped off with pitiful screws to hold it in that had just been left there.

Also noticed the complete removal of the partition with the blind in between the TV table and bed, combined with the mis-match cabinets and white exterior I'm thoroughly delighted with our 2016 caravan!

• Like 1

Took our Pursuit in to get a few bits sorted and they had a 2017 430/4 in the showroom, I noticed the front table had been ripped off with pitiful screws to hold it in that had just been left there.

Also noticed the complete removal of the partition with the blind in between the TV table and bed, combined with the mis-match cabinets and white exterior I'm thoroughly delighted with our 2016 caravan!

The one we looked at also had the front table missing, just as you said. I was told that they had taken it off to replace a broken on on another caravan.

I have emailed the dealer and copied it to Bailey. The faults no longer need fixing, as I Ihave fixed them myself and copied photos of the fixes. The front table screws need to be MDF-Tite screws, if they do as I have said when building new caravans, then they won't have any more front tables falling off.

The only thing that needs doing is the profile of a cupboard underhang. I have one that is wrong. All the others match the smaller one,

post-64061-0-43086700-1497900365_thumb.jpg

post-64061-0-72771200-1497900398_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wunny

The other thing that can lead to the door latch being tight is loose screws on the hinges and/or striker plate.

Happened to us on our first trip away. 20 seconds with a screwdriver and we were fixed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I was wrong about the boards being MDF, that would have been far to strong. They are low density plywood, which is light in weight but has no mechanical strength.

The bracket hinges are now secured to the back board with 4 M4 bolts, nuts & washers and that is held in place with MDF Screws and a small bracket at the top rear of the board to stop it pivoting forward. It's not going to fall off again!

The similar worktop extention flap was loosely secured in place with larger self tappers. It had to be loose, else the screws would have ripped out due to poor positioning of the hinge brackets. These have been padded out to be in line with the sink worktop overhang. The extention is now firmly attached and opens level with the sink worktop instead of being angled downwards by a few degrees.

A webbing strap has been attached to the lift up bed frame to make doing so an easier task.

I'm still waiting for the dealer to come back to me over the cupboard underhang profile.

Other than that I am pleased with the Pursuit, even though I have had (preferred) to fix things myself.

Edited by Wunny

Coming back to the door jamming problem, is this a Hartal door?

Yes I think so. I've looked at Hartal components on line and they are what I have.