Kampa Air Ace 400

pmnb

I'm an experienced caravaner now retired. Last year I purchased a Kampa Air Ace 400 awning which as most of you will know isn't a cheap item at just shy of £1000. 00. I have used it on three different trips totaling 28 days of use. On each trip it leaked from various places quite significantly. This was not condensation which I am used to.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems with this awning? Also whilst I'm here, the Kampa 12 volt pump 'expired' on its second usage so we took it back. Now we have to exert our aging muscles using the hand pump. I know that Kampa have a new 12 volt pump out but I just can't find anybody who has one in stock. I'm told that to use any other manufacturer's pump would invalidate the Kampa Warranty? I continue to wheeze away :)

I have written to kampa TWICE but they don't respond and my dealer doesn't have them in stock or know if they are any good. The predecessor I understand was problematic.

Yours, Gold watch and shackles.

Don't Kampa advise that leaks are likely through stitched seams until the awning has had a couple of good soakings and drying?

I'd have to say that the hand pump supplied with the awning is relatively hard work. I used a Vango pump on a friends awning. .. it pumps on both the up and the down stroke and shows the pressure unlike the Kampa which only reads whilst the pump is on the down stroke.

Edited by happynomad

I have the same awning but no leaks. You don't mention where the leaks are. The Kampa Gale pump was in short supply but appear to be plenty available through a google search.

I still have my Breeze pump but have bought the Gale which is far superior. Not 2 stage but does it far more quickly with less fuss and fiddle.

Edited by SamD

We also have an Ace 400 Air, supplied last year and used twice this season. We have been in heavy downpours but fortunately not experienced any leaks, we do get condensation. If your stitching has swollen & weathered as Kampa advised and you still have leaks are they coming from the seams? If so you might want to purchase some Kampa seam sealant you can find this on the web.

Going on to your pump problem the second electric pump Kampa produced was the Breeze, they are now selling one called the Gale which I am led to believe is simpler to use. I have seen it on You tube and it does appear to be easier to use.

Why would using different pump effect a warranty when you just set the pressure on most pumps ?

Ridiculous .

The more I am swayed to other makes . With Outdoor Revolution offering a lifetime guarantee on the tubes .

Dave

Why would using different pump effect a warranty when you just set the pressure on most pumps ?

Ridiculous .

The more I am swayed to other makes . With Outdoor Revolution offering a lifetime guarantee on the tubes .

Dave

Why? Cos it doesn't/can't/couldn't!

Thank you all for your swift responses. The awning was used on three different outings and got wet and dried more than once on each outing. I would have expected any swelling of the seams to have occurred after the first wetting and drying. I photographed and took video of the leakage whilst it was raining (and had been raining for a number of hours). This was definitely not condensation, I could see water 'seeping' through many of the joints at numerous points across the walling and roof of the awning. The floor carpet was wet, the chairs were wet in fact everything was wet. There was another caravan just down from me with the same awning, his was dry? This morning I received a phone call from my dealer saying that a new awning awaited me from kampa. I have collected it and was told that if this doesn't work, "We'll cut our losses and refund you." I was told in no uncertain words that I am the ONLY one to complain about Kampa awnings leaking. Whilst I accept that may indeed be true, it did leak and rather badly.

My Breeze electric pump would not allow me to set the pressure, it only worked once before it died. I would purchase on-line but was concerned about the warranty being voided if I used another manufacturer's pump. From what you say the Gale Pump seems to be the answer. My hand pump has no gauges on it whatsoever and is an effort to use. I'm wondering whether to open this new awning or just try and get my money back. It was well designed but leaked.

pmnb

The hand pump supplied can't over inflate I use a sevylor 12 v but to be honest a hand pump is quicker so I have purchased the decathlon one for £12 that has a guage. Yet to try it but it is taller and bigger capacity.

Pmnb - sorry to hear about yours leaking. We have no leaks on ours. We use a 12v pump and have a small battery in he bag, which does circa 4 inflations. Also means we don't have to hook up the pump to the car or caravan battery.

Here's hoping the replacement is dry

I'm an experienced caravaner now retired. Last year I purchased a Kampa Air Ace 400 awning which as most of you will know isn't a cheap item at just shy of £1000. 00. I have used it on three different trips totaling 28 days of use. On each trip it leaked from various places quite significantly. This was not condensation which I am used to.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems with this awning? Also whilst I'm here, the Kampa 12 volt pump 'expired' on its second usage so we took it back. Now we have to exert our aging muscles using the hand pump. I know that Kampa have a new 12 volt pump out but I just can't find anybody who has one in stock. I'm told that to use any other manufacturer's pump would invalidate the Kampa Warranty? I continue to wheeze away :)

I have written to kampa TWICE but they don't respond and my dealer doesn't have them in stock or know if they are any good. The predecessor I understand was problematic.

Yours, Gold watch and shackles.

We have the same awning, bought late last year and so far only used three times. It hasn`t leaked but we do get a lot of condensation. We leave all of the zips partially open overnight and that more or less stops it forming.

Our Breeze pump would not work the first time out. We notified the Dealer and they replaced it with a new one that they tested themselves before sending it out. We have only used it once so far but it worked fine.

Your Dealer should replace the pump or give you a refund, the breeze pump has proven to be troublesome and has been replaced by the Gale.

Bob

Rally Pro 390. .. it hasn't leaked to date. .. touch wood. We use a roof lining and unzip the 'unused' door a little to form a triangular vent with the flyscreen still in place. We have notice a negligible amount of condensation on the small part of the awning not covered by the roof lining but nothing like we used to get dripping from the aluminium roof poles in our last awning.

We got caught by a heavy snowfall which stretched the roof fabric on our last awning. As the thaw started, being in the awning was like being out in the rain but once it had all dried out properly, normal performance was restored.

Today, I watched a Kampa Gale advermentary on YouTube. The man demonstrating it said that one could pump up the tent he was using faster by hand. ..

The hand pump supplied can't over inflate I use a sevylor 12 v but to be honest a hand pump is quicker so I have purchased the decathlon one for £12 that has a guage. Yet to try it but it is taller and bigger capacity.

Really? You must be good with the hand pump. Used to spend most of my time cursing at it falling apart as soon as I gave it any welly. Much prefer the Sevylor pump, and it's up in minutes. Can't quaff a G&T while using the manual pump. . . .

Edited by Disco4

Pmnb - sorry to hear about yours leaking. We have no leaks on ours. We use a 12v pump and have a small battery in he bag, which does circa 4 inflations. Also means we don't have to hook up the pump to the car or caravan battery.

Here's hoping the replacement is dry

Small battery? Which did you buy please and would it be good enough for caravan tyres - top up only of course.

We were next to some people with a very smart looking Kampa awning at Easter. When it had rained overnight,the lady was emptying the chairs in the morning of all the water that had leaked in. They had contacted the dealer they had bought it from who said it would have to be sent back to the makers to be tested. It was the first outing for our Outdoor Revolution inflatable which was fine.

Really? You must be good with the hand pump. Used to spend most of my time cursing at it falling apart as soon as I gave it any welly. Much prefer the Sevylor pump, and it's up in minutes. Can't quaff a G&T while using the manual pump. . . .

Granted the supplied one isn't very good but I used another that went with the Airdream and it was good.

Don't get me wrong the sevylor was great for the last awning that had 10 tubes to blow up but with a single inflation awning by the time I have unwound the 12v lead and plugged in or moved the car I am halfway done with a hand pump. The decathlon one is 5l so should be even quicker and it has a guage.

We've got the Kampa Rally pro 260, it's been up in some pretty harsh weather but, despite have large pools on the roof at times, has never leaked, no noticeable condensation either.

The first time I tried to blow it up it took ages, turned out the rubber seal had detached from the pump plunger. That was an easy fix but shortly thereafter the socket for the pressure gauge broke. Luckily it's not really needed so I binned it and now my wife judges the pressure while I pump.

Approx 50 - 60 long, steady repetitions usually does the trick - I've counted :D

Small battery? Which did you buy please and would it be good enough for caravan tyres - top up only of course.

Bought ours just over 2yrs ago and still going strong

12v 7ah Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery - ULTRAMAX https://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B002S4T0F2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jJYpzbQRG95FY

We just recharge our battery before we go and it does the awning absolutely fine. Expect it to have no issues ref caravan tyre pumps.

Bought ours just over 2yrs ago and still going strong

12v 7ah Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery - ULTRAMAX https://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B002S4T0F2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jJYpzbQRG95FY

We just recharge our battery before we go and it does the awning absolutely fine. Expect it to have no issues ref caravan tyre pumps.

Why not use the leisure battery fitted to your caravan?? One less item to,carry/worry about.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Why not use the leisure battery fitted to your caravan?? One less item to,carry/worry about.

Andy

I'm sure Milky will have his own reasons but mine for enquiring of him was because my leisure battery is on the off side and, funnily enough, I tend to blow up my awning 4 metres away from the other side!!

Why? Cos it doesn't/can't/couldn't!

And how would they prove which pump had been used?????

8 metres of 12 volt cable must be cheaper than a second lead acid battery surely??

Just raising a discussion point, if it works for you fine, it just seems a lot of unnecessary complication to me. I believe in the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid.

I have a (well used ) Non air Kampa Rally Ace, brilliant bit of kit BUT, on occasions, I have had enough condensation to THINK it was leaking.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Not much in it - both around £12 but I have an additional need for topping up tyres in storage. Much better than trailing wires through windows to get to the other side. Each to his own.

Thank you for all your insight into this issue. With regards to condensation, yes we did get this overnight a couple of times bu this tends to be an all over covering of minuscule water droplets. The times when the awning leaked I couldn't ventilate because of heavy rain ! The leakage could be seen pushing its way through the material and seams at various points. I finally got fed up and took stills and a video of this. I'm miffed because a: this awning is £1000. 00 and b: My dealer is making me out to be the person at fault and "We've sold hundreds and never had any problems with leaks." Similarly I've never had any problems with leakage from my 14 year old Bradcot awning!! At 64 years of age I fancied something easier to erect. The hand pump is fine but at our age we have to actually 'take' a Gin and Tonic break :). My dealer is aware of the Gale pump but doesn't stock it. I haven't even unpacked this replacement awning I'm so disillusioned with my dealer and more so with Kampa who are it seems content to hide away somewhere in Essex and deny their existence. Brand image is vital in this global market, if I was Kampa I would give myself a wake up call !!!!!!!!!! I'm taking the van away to West Wales on Sunday so either I unpack the Ace Air 400 or take my trusty Bradcot. I have spent in excess of £30k with this dealer over the last 15 years, it counts for nothing.

Still, suns up, tow vehicle is cleaned and serviced and I haven't been away since May. Wonderful this retirement thing :)

. .. I haven't even unpacked this replacement awning I'm so disillusioned with my dealer and more so with Kampa who are it seems content to hide away somewhere in Essex and deny their existence. Brand image is vital in this global market, if I was Kampa I would give myself a wake up call !!!!!!!!!! I'm taking the van away to West Wales on Sunday so either I unpack the Ace Air 400 or take my trusty Bradcot.

Kampa are not, it seems, shy at offering good will to owners of their products but your argument is exclusively with your dealer rather than with Kampa who didn't actually sell anything to you.

Use your new awning. Your consumer rights remain intact if it is not as described or fit for purpose but you will likely have a good one this time. As for dealers, there are some good ones allegedly but of course. There are others who believe customer service ends the moment you drive / take your new purchase away from their premises.

We are really happy with out Ace Air 400 bought end April 2016 and used on almost 100 nights away since then. Only had condensation beginning and end of year and the roof linner I bought sends any condensation to the front corners and only little pools.

We also have the Breeze pump which does take longer to pump it up than other pumps and blew a fuse in our caravan when hubby used it when it was new. It needs a 20 amp supply from our Terracan's boot. Also nearly sent it back this Easter as it would not work. Hubby then found the seal was missing from the inflate point. Worked fine after he took the one from the deflate point. He likes that it has a very long cable and everything fits neatly into the bag it came with.