Sign in to follow this  
BillySmart

Strong Awning Pegs For Windy Sites

Just spent several days in the Lakes in gales. Had to take down my air awning as it kept getting loose. My nail-like awning pegs were hammered fully home into our hard standing pitch but the wind just eased them out. Has anyone got a suggestion as to a more effective type of peg (or pegging technique).

Yep. Longer pegs. Also helps if you double peg angled in different directions. It is not just the wind but when the ground is saturated the water acts as a lubricant on the pegs. Don't insert pegs completely vertical as the wind lifts them easier

Edited by Easy T
  • Like 2

In very windy weather, I guy my awning internally and find it very effective. I don't have any pictures unfortunately. I'll take some photos when I'm away this year.

John. :)

Edited by Leedslad

Having ripped an awning in two in strong winds, I just don't put it up if it's windy.

Have you considered the screw in pegs?

• Like 1

Having ripped an awning in two in strong winds, I just don't put it up if it's windy.

Have you considered the screw in pegs?

Wondered if anyone who'd used the screw-in pegs could say whether they'd be any better.

Yes i have some screw pegs there are not very good. problem is the plastic tee section at the top where you hook the awning tie down point doesn't spin freely, so if hammer the peg in when putting the awning up, when you go to unscrew the peg the whole peg rotates cause the awning to twist around the peg making extra strain on the guide rope and one big knot. I ended up just pegging them in with a hammer. This works fine, but because of the thread they collect more dirt/ mud making a right mess of the carry box they came in. after some time now i have gone back the the slightly long hard ground peg.

If your pegs are coming out because the wind i would consider taking it down as it's only going to do damage to your awning if the wind is pulling the pegs out the ground.

I have some screw in pegs, they are in their bag at the back of the garage somewhere. :(

Do you have storm straps for when it's very windy? We have some long pegs that we put in at an angle. With us we peg the outside of the awning and use guy ropes, if it's a bit windy, I'll peg the inside as well, a bit more and I'll use the storm straps. Any worse and the awning comes down. If your plastic bit's on your pegs aren't working properly, perhaps it's time to buy some more pegs.

Just spent several days in the Lakes in gales. Had to take down my air awning as it kept getting loose. My nail-like awning pegs were hammered fully home into our hard standing pitch but the wind just eased them out. Has anyone got a suggestion as to a more effective type of peg (or pegging technique).

I was on a site in Wales earlier this month with 48mph winds AND far too deep top dressing of chippings which meant the rock pegs only gripped on the bottom couple of inches!

The following link gets you some of the best heavy duty pegs available with lengths to suit exceptional conditions.

http://www. hamptonworks. co. uk/campingtentpegs. html

I use screwpegs all the time, for their convenience screwing in and screwing out, and I've never had a problem with the heads turning when they shouldn't.

But I don't use them for a better grip, as I don't think they do that, despite the maker's claims.

As someone mentioned above, I use double-pegging at opposing angles if it's windy or in poor ground conditions.

John

I tried my screw pegs once in hardstanding more akin to concrete at the CC site near Tintagel. I found that the because the hex screw heads are quite shallow, they tended to tilt inside my nice new socket. This is because its hard to keep the drill and peg in line as the point of the pegs hits the larger stones. Never used since, as they used up more time, than hammering in conventional rock pegs.

I would cross peg corners and every other or every pegging point and I often do this as habit anyway. Doesn't take much longer but makes pegging out much stronger

i use the plastic Delta pegs for the guys aswell and these seem to be very well stuck in

A couple of trips ago we had a pretty windy night (gusting around 45 according to the forecast at the time) on a grass pitch. The standard Isabella red pegs held fast but the rubbing of the porch awning on the van left some marks which I'm hoping will clean/polish out :-(

Edited by pjapk

We left our ‘Thule hold down side strap kit’ pegs behind on a campsite. Any ideas on  where I can get replacements for these strong pegs without having to buy the whole kit?

On 08/06/2017 at 10:35, Artleknock said:

I have some screw in pegs, they are in their bag at the back of the garage somewhere. :(

Mine are too, after I read somewhere that a bloke had lost a finger when it caught in the rubber ladders when using his drill,       I have enough problems with body parts as it is, without losing a finger !!

3 hours ago, Dwj72 said:

We left our ‘Thule hold down side strap kit’ pegs behind on a campsite. Any ideas on  where I can get replacements for these strong pegs without having to buy the whole kit?

leisureshopdirect.com? 01271 862349 [9 to 5 Monday to Friday].

Steve

I have a set of screw in pegs but when I first got them was not happy the plastic "t" at the top was tight on the metal, I took them off and drilled them out so they now spin freely.

I have taken to hammering them in and then using my drill and socket to remove them.

I have never had a problem with them working loose and we have been in some very strong Scottish winds where other owners have had pegs pulling loose and awnings being damaged.