Pegasus 4 Roof Leak

HenryB

Knowing that I would be away visiting daughter in Canada and upon return would have surgery on my hand that would prevent me from driving I realised that I could not get my Rimini purchased in May last year to the dealer I bought it from during the 60 day window required by Bailey to keep warranty alive. I have just had the van serviced by a Bailey approved mobile service engineer at home. He has found 40% damp in the roof where the 2 panels join together. When he pulled the inside trim down that covers the joint inside the van water poured out. I know this topic has been covered before but I should be grateful to hear from any other forum member who has had this problem with any advice and results of their repairs before I contact the supplying dealer. I have taken photos of the dripping water to send to the dealer with a copy of the damp report. The service engineer said he can deal with most Bailey warranty repairs but resealing the roof and drying the van out is beyond his capabilities. Unfortunately it will be at least six weeks before I will be able to drive again so at present I cannot take the van to the dealer. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you cant drive try and get the dealer to come out and do a temp seal. Its a well known issue & largely down to workmanship quality rather than anything else. Ours did a temp fix, took them 30 mins & lasted for a couple of months while they sorted the warranty out

It's largely down to a diabolical design and despite what some on here will tell you effects a large number of vans including recently manufactured vans. Go round any site and ask Unicorn 3 owners if they have had the problem and at least one third will say they have. Bailey should recall all vans with this roof design and fit a much wider cover strip and end caps and by much wider I mean at least 15cm not the stupid barely overlapping item currently used.

In terms of advice to the OP - get some waterproof gaffer/duct tape and tape over the seam, it's all you can do until your dealer can repair it.

Edited by Birdingbilly

I sealed mine by cleaning everything and working some sealant into the joint for a temporary repair which lasted over a year. If the OP has had surgery on his hand,he's probably not going to feel much like climbing on a caravans roof though.

I had a leak in the roof first day I had the van,back to dealer next day fixed first leak,couple of months later a new leak somewhere else back to dealer fixed. Finally first service damp in van new leak somewhere else. Paid just short of £20000 for a rubbish van

Knowing that I would be away visiting daughter in Canada and upon return would have surgery on my hand that would prevent me from driving I realised that I could not get my Rimini purchased in May last year to the dealer I bought it from during the 60 day window required by Bailey to keep warranty alive. I have just had the van serviced by a Bailey approved mobile service engineer at home. He has found 40% damp in the roof where the 2 panels join together. When he pulled the inside trim down that covers the joint inside the van water poured out. I know this topic has been covered before but I should be grateful to hear from any other forum member who has had this problem with any advice and results of their repairs before I contact the supplying dealer. I have taken photos of the dripping water to send to the dealer with a copy of the damp report. The service engineer said he can deal with most Bailey warranty repairs but resealing the roof and drying the van out is beyond his capabilities. Unfortunately it will be at least six weeks before I will be able to drive again so at present I cannot take the van to the dealer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Purchase a caravan cover, even if its at the cheaper end, just make sure its a breathable cover.

I sealed mine by cleaning everything and working some sealant into the joint for a temporary repair which lasted over a year. If the OP has had surgery on his hand,he's probably not going to feel much like climbing on a caravans roof though.

Blimey ! . . You had to wait over a year for a warranty repair on a water ingress problem :(

A roof design like this is,in my opinion,always destined to leak especially as a caravan twists and turns and the body flexes whilst being towed.

As has been mentioned the cover piece only overlaps about 1cm each side of the join.

Our repair has been fine since it was done.

It lets down what I think is otherwise a reasonably built series of vans,not perfect but better than some.

If Unicorn 4 persists with this join then we shall be keeping what we have,it needs a one piece roof.

Ian

I would suggest maybe somebody could tow the caravan to the dealer or maybe for a small fee at worst (hopefully free) the dealer could collect if you explain the situation. Personally I have just got rid of the Orion Aluleak Sieve, I know many have a Bailey Alutech and I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but the principle of a structure clamped together without external screws is brilliant but totally spoilt by a shocking floor to wall corner joining method (same at wheel arch) and a roof joint design that makes me think they gave up at this point in the design and couldn't be bothered.

The only thing stopping most, if not all Alutech caravans getting wet floor corners (mainly underneath to start ) is a flimsy plastic corner pocket that's reported to degrade and disintegrate at 5-6 years old and a smear of sealant, then there's the wall to floor joint where the wall sits on a plastic finisher any gap in sealant around the perimeter of the caravan at this joint allows water to track along this finisher trim to the corner or to one of the bolts holding the walls to the floor and the floor soaks it up. In my 5 years of constant repair after repair I have looked at many Alutech models in storage on sites and in for repairs, well over 50% had soaking wet floors in the corners when you looked underneath.

The Alutech rail joint is plastic with a designed small gap between the 2 rails, so here it's purely free floating sealant stopping water entering, a bit of flex and over time this joint sealant cracks, even feeding your awning in snags the sealant at this joint opening up a gap inside the awning rail, the Bailey fix was to pump a full tube of sealant inside the caravan onto the back of this joint.

Some models had a near 20-30mm gap between roof panel joints, here they chose to stick a strip over the outside, in some designs this strip probably only had a 3-5 mm contact with the roof panel so you have a tiny contact area with sealant under it keeping the now puddle of water out that gathers up against this joint, this puddle sitting there for days until it naturally dries out. Nose down or up you still get a puddle either in front or behind so you can't win.

I am not aware of many companies that could survive spending thousands or even millions on repairing leaks, the same leaks model after model year after year, how ashamed I would be if it were my company and I had to have a larger part of my factory dedicated to taking back shoddy quality units to fix them with back log times for repairs leading into months. But it's a price fixed very profitable industry very similar to the car industry of old, but we keep buying so they keep churning them out. ... never again for me the claimed revolutionary Alutech is a load of s**te, it has such a potential as well. .

I know it doesn't help your situation but it annoys me a lot that good people like you with your own personal issues to deal with have to worry about your revolutionary caravan failing to do the basic principle of keeping water out . ... hope you get sorted and more importantly your recovery goes to plan.

Edited by OrionSJG

Thanks for your thoughts. After 45 years of caravaning including 3 Baileys and 2 Abbeys over the last 25 years I hope I get it sorted. We love everything else about the van but do not need to use a umbrella when we go to bed.

Our 2015 Unicorn Cadiz leaked within the first few weeks. Didn't go back to the dealer because judging by their poor quality PDI missing numerous other faults that I fixed myself, they would only bodge it, Similarly due to the poor design, the manufacturer would only be able to do the same. Alu-Tech might be a clever design but leaving a 10 mm gap right across the roof and just covered by a narrow strip of plastic stuck down with a poor quality silicone sealant is asking for problems. It should be a one-piece roof covering, I cleaned and dried ours and used a much better quality sealant. So far no leaks, but it is now part of my quick quarterly roof inspection. We shouldn't have to suffer these sorts of problems in 22 grand caravan. Never had any leaks on our old Avondale Rialto 550-4.

Did you actually remove the strip?It should have about 5 clamps underneath pulling it down. Also I would have thought it was made of aluminium. I notice that they've used a non setting mastic strip on our repaired one.

Did you actually remove the strip?It should have about 5 clamps underneath pulling it down. Also I would have thought it was made of aluminium. I notice that they've used a non setting mastic strip on our repaired one.

There are no clamps, its just a piece of plastic stip. Hard to believe but correct !

The metal clamps hold the front and rear roof panels together then the gap is covered by the strip.

Ian

Well on ours,admittedly a 2014 Pursuit,the clamps are pulled tight by bolts screwing into the presumably aluminium roof strip. This has been discussed at length on several previous occasions,along with pictures. There is a clip on plastic strip on the inside that locks into the outer strip to cover the gap and clamps. Not sure how many people have actually had a look at the problem themselves or are relying on hearsay and dealerspeak.

I have a 2017 Pegasus (feb) which is in at the dealers at the moment for a slight water ingress at the front left.

While it was there we looked at the roof joint and it has sealant coming out of it everywhere. Far to much has been applied.

Also the TV aerial has big clumps of sealant all over the joint. Terrible workmanship.

The lower rail joints have not been sealed correctly also. The dealer has been great and is fixing all the above.

No damage to the caravan and no long term effects so all good.

When I re-sealed the roof I just patched the really loose areas of the strip and the two end caps which were very poorly stuck on. I think when the weather settles down for a dry period I may look at removing the strip and cleaning and drying and re-sealing. At the moment I'm just doing repairs where weaknesses are apparent. I used Wickes White,Polymer, All Weather Adhesive. It is much more sticky than standard silicone sealant and really adheres well to the plastic fittings and roof panel. It does goo off fairly quick and you can't lick your finger and smooth it like silicone sealant. I've also purchased a tube of Bostic "Sticks Like", but have yet to try this.

Having had a few repairs to handle over the years IMHO Non setting mastic is far superior to Silicone type products. If, as looks likely, we will be keeping the Unicorn 3 for the foreseeable future then I have the body shell warranty.

In the event we still own it at the end of that I will probably machine a piece of wide PVC facia board or similar to fit over the existing joint strip and use Non Setting Mastic to attach that over the join.

Not because I think it will leak, but by nature I am a belt and braces type once the responsibility for repairs falls back onto my shoulders. Prevention being better than cure and a ruined trip.

Bailey have now invested multiple millions into a new panel production facility, which I haven't had the pleasure of seeing yet. If, and that's a big if, they produce something like the existing Unicorn with either a one piece roof ( Would there be problems with expansion and contraction over that length ?) and a composite floor then who knows how long the existing van will last with us.

In the mean time it's still the best by far to date.

Edited by Alan Stanley

So long as you're agile enough to climb on to the roof,repairs are quite easy to do and can last quite a while. Sometimes longer than the original!

Well on ours,admittedly a 2014 Pursuit,the clamps are pulled tight by bolts screwing into the presumably aluminium roof strip. This has been discussed at length on several previous occasions,along with pictures. There is a clip on plastic strip on the inside that locks into the outer strip to cover the gap and clamps. Not sure how many people have actually had a look at the problem themselves or are relying on hearsay and dealerspeak.

Sorry but you're wrong. The 2014 Pursuit is just the same as the vans mentioned above, with the clamps holding the two halves of the roof together and a flimsy small plastic strip covering the join. The inner plastic cover simply clips into the gap.

Before you ask, yes I've had a jolly good look, especially after the water poured through our 2014 Pursuit.

Sorry to hear your prob with the leaking roof join HenryB. Like so many others, my June 2014 Pursuit developed mould in a door less cupboard below the roof joint. It was September, three months after I took delivery. I got my mobile caravan mechanic to damp test it and there were high readings (40+) in the cupboards, nearside wall around the wheel arch, bathroom (end bathroom) floor around the toilet and along rear wall at floor level.

Supplying dealer got authority from Bailey for extensive repairs the whole rear of van was removed and the top roof joint re sealed as well as the rear/side x2 joints (the curved joints that also house the awning rail) so the fitters told me.

Roll on to 9th May 2017, the earliest date I could get a service within cut off period for the third year anniversary of the purchase ( done early for any 3year warranty items) and yes, high damp readings in the bathroom, the near side floor near to the wheel arch. Took it back to dealer for their checks to be made so they can request to Bailey for warranty claims. Repairs now authorised, just waiting for parts. I'm away in van now for the month of June and have a couple of weeks booked in July and three in late August into September. They will have to work around me for scheduling purposes. Stilll love the van (I'm in its bed typing this now) but damp is obviously a worry. Regular damp checks especially when new I think are a must for any van. It's crazy that these exact same problems crop up years after first being identified especially as the water ingress warranty only lasts three years for damage caused by water ingress around windows, doors (of any kind) and roof lights and I have 21 of those. These exclusions are specifically mentioned in the warranty small print (well not so small) in the thick van manual supplied for my particular van. If yours doesn't have those exclusions, then great, you have a six years extendable to 10 years (I think) peace of mind. Anyway, hope it all works out for you HenryB.

Cheers Robert.

Bit confused now. The inner walls are GRP. Didn't think they could be checked for damp,or so the local dealer we use for servicing says.

Yes you are right, where I mentioned 'wall near wheel arch' I meant floor at the wall joint. Sorry for the confusion. I saw that I'd written wall when I re read the post but hoped I'd got away with it because I later mentioned the floor in that area. Soz for that. R.

Sorry to hear your prob with the leaking roof join HenryB. Like so many others, my June 2014 Pursuit developed mould in a door less cupboard below the roof joint. It was September, three months after I took delivery. I got my mobile caravan mechanic to damp test it and there were high readings (40+) in the cupboards, nearside wall around the wheel arch, bathroom (end bathroom) floor around the toilet and along rear wall at floor level.

Supplying dealer got authority from Bailey for extensive repairs the whole rear of van was removed and the top roof joint re sealed as well as the rear/side x2 joints (the curved joints that also house the awning rail) so the fitters told me.

Roll on to 9th May 2017, the earliest date I could get a service within cut off period for the third year anniversary of the purchase ( done early for any 3year warranty items) and yes, high damp readings in the bathroom, the near side floor near to the wheel arch. Took it back to dealer for their checks to be made so they can request to Bailey for warranty claims. Repairs now authorised, just waiting for parts. I'm away in van now for the month of June and have a couple of weeks booked in July and three in late August into September. They will have to work around me for scheduling purposes. Stilll love the van (I'm in its bed typing this now) but damp is obviously a worry. Regular damp checks especially when new I think are a must for any van. It's crazy that these exact same problems crop up years after first being identified especially as the water ingress warranty only lasts three years for damage caused by water ingress around windows, doors (of any kind) and roof lights and I have 21 of those. These exclusions are specifically mentioned in the warranty small print (well not so small) in the thick van manual supplied for my particular van. If yours doesn't have those exclusions, then great, you have a six years extendable to 10 years (I think) peace of mind. Anyway, hope it all works out for you HenryB.

Cheers Robert.

It's been discussed before re the 3 years round windows etc. When it was raised with Bailey some time ago it was clarified.

In the exclusions it states

Structural degradation or other damage caused by water ingress through nonpermanently sealed seams or joints (such as, without limitation, around windows, hatches, doors and rooflights), beyond the initial 24 months of the Manufacturer’s Warranty.

When asked we were told that this applies to the openings seal. Such as round the door/window/rooflight openings. I. e. the rubber gaskets. ( understandable as they are wear and tear items ) So if your access hatch is leaking round the door seal 3 years. If its leaking into the body shell due to a breakdown in the frame to body seal 6 years. The frame being sealed into the body. This is a permanently sealed joint and therefore covered by the 6 years warranty. OR 10 years if extended.

I agree it's confusing in the wording but that is what we were told. I've searched for the original e'mail but so old its been deleted. I feel another email coming on.

Dealers are not to be trusted on this as many do not want warranty work. Put simply if Bailey are paying it's a set price. If you and I are paying it's how much can we screw out of this poor sod.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Thanks Alan, I really appreciate your clarification re permanent joints/seals and your previous investigations. I do hope (and now believe) you are right.

Definitely right about dealers not wanting at least some of the more complicated warranty work. My dealer sent me to a company that looks on the face of it to function as a Bailey warranty repair centre in all but name.

Cheers and thanks again. R.