Parking In A Public Car Park - 2 Tickets?

mrchiggles

Parked up in Richmond a couple of weeks back with the van, guided into the space by a marshall who was sorting out the parade and paid for one parking ticket. Came back to a parking ticket.

Appealed and was allowed off because of the marshall but the letter noted that I should have paid for 2 tickets (which I would have been happy to!) For the 2 spaces

Is this considered the correct way to park in cat parks? Do motorhomes buy 2 tickets when parked over 2 spaces?

Handy to know!

Yes, two spaces generally means two tickets. Seems to be an accepted fact on MH forums.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I once parked parked a hired Motorhome at the extreme end of an almost empty car park in Brixham on Boxing Day. As the vehicle was so large, I'd parked across the bays to keep the roadway clear whilst we had lunch of Brixham fish and chips.

Half way through our culinary delight and knock knock, there is a uniformed council parking officer at the door to tell us that we were improperly parked and would have to move or get a penalty notice. I explained that the vehicle wouldn't fit in a space without overhanging the roadway (obstruction?) or without blocking a space immediately to the rear and that we'd parked as far out of the way as possible in the virtually empty car park.

His reply was that whilst he understood our thinking and accepted we'd paid to park, we'd have to move to the centre area and park such that all four wheels were contained within the markings. If that meant protruding into the roadway or taking the space behind out of use it was perfectly ok. I just had to have the wheels fully contained in a single space.

I hasten to add that the chappie was a cheerful sort but obviously had a job to do despite the day and the volume of vehicles in his domain. You couldn't make it up eh :D

I once parked in Grays Inn Square in London with a large box trailer behind the car.

A warden told me to park in an end bay - nose to the kerb - and put the trailer at the side on the double yellows - if it's detached I can't give it a ticket as it's not a registered road vehicle he told me !

I did actually stop in the car all the time with a very small daughter, as my passengers were visiting a nearby office, but we did have the distraction of watching local office workers playing netball - noticed a lot of long macs amongst the other spectators !!

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Parked up in Richmond a couple of weeks back with the van, guided into the space by a marshall who was sorting out the parade and paid for one parking ticket. Came back to a parking ticket.

Appealed and was allowed off because of the marshall but the letter noted that I should have paid for 2 tickets (which I would have been happy to!) For the 2 spaces

Is this considered the correct way to park in cat parks? Do motorhomes buy 2 tickets when parked over 2 spaces?

Handy to know!

When SWMBO and I had our MH if we were in a public car park and overlapped two spaces (which we usually did) I always paid for two parking spaces (two tickets) which seems reasonable to me.

I've not parked in a pay and display public car park with the caravan, but if I did I'd pay for the appropriate number of spaces.

BH

I've not parked in a pay and display public car park with the caravan, but if I did I'd pay for the appropriate number of spaces.

BH

Same here, well after reading this topic, not thought about it before but seems logical.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Beware of car parks with specific regulations regarding parking not completely within a box - includes on-road parking.

While there is no legal standard for the size of a parking space, 2. 4m x 4. 8m are common - which means that many outfits would exceed the 9. 6m of two spaces together - may need THREE spaces and tickets being used.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Even those at 2. 5m x 5. 5m will not suit many towed outfits.

As an aside, many years ago I was staying at the Elvaston Castle CC site as was. I was running too early to get on site so drove into the nearby public car park to stay for half an hour. Nice chap there took two tickets off the roll and I paid. On the way out he stopped me, took the tickets and refunded the fee.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

It seems to be generally accepted that a larger campervan occupying 2 spaces pays for two spaces, but what about when the parking is free? In our Tesco last week there were a few campervans parked rediculously, occupying 2 or 3 spaces by parking across them. Sometimes the issue is that other people need to park there too.

Ern

Yes, two spaces generally means two tickets.

When we first started caravanning we often drove to Littlehampton on a Friday night and parked the car and van (with others) in one of the beach front car parks - which was just a big sandy field. We put the legs down, had supper, then a walk, then went to bed. At 9 on Saturday morning the car park attendant knocked on our doors. "Good morning - you'll need two tickets. That'll be 50p. You know you're not allowed to stay over-night." - knowing full-well that we'd just got up! On the Sunday morning we had the same ritual, and in the afternoon we waved him good-bye. .. ;)

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

It seems to be generally accepted that a larger campervan occupying 2 spaces pays for two spaces, but what about when the parking is free? In our Tesco last week there were a few campervans parked rediculously, occupying 2 or 3 spaces by parking across them. Sometimes the issue is that other people need to park there too.

If we stop en-route at a supermarket or chain pub, I park in a block of 4 spaces - if I use 2 then numpties will park too close both sides and make it difficult to get out - even so it does mean sticking out the front and back as the outfit is 12m long.

To avoid inconveniencing other customers, we only go at off-peak times and park as far from the building as possible -there's always been empty spces left so it seems to work.

I once parked in Grays Inn Square in London with a large box trailer behind the car.

A warden told me to park in an end bay - nose to the kerb - and put the trailer at the side on the double yellows - if it's detached I can't give it a ticket as it's not a registered road vehicle he told me !

I did actually stop in the car all the time with a very small daughter, as my passengers were visiting a nearby office, but we did have the distraction of watching local office workers playing netball - noticed a lot of long macs amongst the other spectators !!

was it raining?

When we first started caravanning we often drove to Littlehampton on a Friday night and parked the car and van (with others) in one of the beach front car parks - which was just a big sandy field. We put the legs down, had supper, then a walk, then went to bed. At 9 on Saturday morning the car park attendant knocked on our doors. "Good morning - you'll need two tickets. That'll be 50p. You know you're not allowed to stay over-night." - knowing full-well that we'd just got up! On the Sunday morning we had the same ritual, and in the afternoon we waved him good-bye. . . ;)

Them were the days. ;):D

When we first started caravanning we often drove to Littlehampton on a Friday night and parked the car and van (with others) in one of the beach front car parks - which was just a big sandy field. We put the legs down, had supper, then a walk, then went to bed. At 9 on Saturday morning the car park attendant knocked on our doors. "Good morning - you'll need two tickets. That'll be 50p. You know you're not allowed to stay over-night." - knowing full-well that we'd just got up! On the Sunday morning we had the same ritual, and in the afternoon we waved him good-bye. .. ;)

There was a time when common sense was applied in this country - these days it appears there are too many jobsworths with targets to meet, so tickets are issued long before a request to, "Move along please Sir".

So long as your parking does not inconvenience or endanger others, then I can see no problem with taking up a couple of parking spaces - and paying for the privilege if necessary. Unfortunately the aforementioned jobsworths have a different opinion, to the detriment of a friendly society. It is all part of the continued decline in "quality of life" I have witnessed in the UK during my lifetime.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

- these days it appears there are too many jobsworths with targets to meet, so tickets are issued long before a request to, "Move along please Sir".

I dislike this jobsworth mentality as much as the next person but think it may be a little unfair to blame the individuals. The problem is often with the jobsworth it is the employment environment they are working within. The individual is probably just trying to make a living and look after themselves and their family (the way we all do) the problem is the 'get rich quick' operators of these parking schemes and the draconian terms of engagement they apply to their operatives. Another growing area for such enforcement is that of littering rules, featured on Panorama recently, dreadful, but instigated by local authorities offered no risk get rich quick income by unscrupulous operators.

These jobs have to be done by someone, it seems a shame they have to work for such apparently unpleasant and unethical employers.

Edited by jetA1

JetA1,By "jobsworth" I do not differentiate between employee and employer. It is the lack of consideration for others, so common in society today that gets me.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

JetA1,By "jobsworth" I do not differentiate between employee and employer. It is the lack of consideration for others, so common in society today that gets me.

Gordon

Understood, but where I come from I've only heard the expression in relation to the person at the front end. In my book the organisations who employ these people under such objectionable conditions are deserving of a far worse term than jobsworth.

I've met a handful of pretty objectionable jobsworths over the years but it saddens me that these days there are employers who create a climate of fear that can push people to behave like this.

Understood, but where I come from I've only heard the expression in relation to the person at the front end. In my book the organisations who employ these people under such objectionable conditions are deserving of a far worse term than jobsworth.

I've met a handful of pretty objectionable jobsworths over the years but it saddens me that these days there are employers who create a climate of fear that can push people to behave like this.

With you on this. I've known some perfectly nice people, one younger, one post-student, one in 60's made redundant, who had to take this style of work, as there wasn't anything else quickly available. In each case they did what they could to humanise their work to the people they dealt with, but the accountant-driven conditions meant they couldn't flex too far without losing the job. In each case they stuck it for only as long as it took to find better work.

A few years ago we parked a 6. 4 mtr. motorhome in a council carpark,(half empty) in Llangollen,wales bought two 40p tickets and displayed them,45 mins later on return,£60. 00 fine.

A VERY stiff letter to Dyfed council,with both tickets,times etc. i did eventually get fine squashed,asked for an apology,didn't get one!

With you on this. I've known some perfectly nice people, one younger, one post-student, one in 60's made redundant, who had to take this style of work, as there wasn't anything else quickly available. In each case they did what they could to humanise their work to the people they dealt with, but the accountant-driven conditions meant they couldn't flex too far without losing the job. In each case they stuck it for only as long as it took to find better work.

Thanks for your comment, these are exactly the circumstances I was referring too, it is very easy to comment and condemn from the comfort of a decent pension income, but rather different if such employment is the only option.

Thanks for your comment, these are exactly the circumstances I was referring too, it is very easy to comment and condemn from the comfort of a decent pension income, but rather different if such employment is the only option.

For me the term "jobsworth" is a relection of the situation - not a judgement on whether the person has over-stepped their remit or whether their employer puts undue pressure on them.

For me the term "jobsworth" is a relection of the situation - not a judgement on whether the person has over-stepped their remit or whether their employer puts undue pressure on them.

Sorry . .. I really don't understand your comment.

Sorry . .. I really don't understand your comment.

I use the term "jobsworth" on occasions - if it's objectionable behavior because of pressures put on the employee by the employer, ie traffic wardens will ticket targets, allegedly, then it's still objectionable - but then I don't rant on about the individual, just rant to the individual.

I do find it very frustrating when individuals are empowered to use their discretion but stick rigidly to the rules -

Handy to know!

Did it say anything about buying two spaces in the clearly displayed terms and conditions? I suspect not and the car parking operators are all so quick to point out when you buy a ticket youre agreeing to their terms and conditions, it would be interesting to play them at their own game.

AJ