Issue With Jvc Radio In Bailey Unicorn 3

Hi All

Bought a new Unicorn iii Cordoba few months ago and have noticed an odd problem with the Bailey fitted radio.

The unit is a JVC KD-DB65, with Cd and DAB radio etc.

First noticed the problem when we got the van home. Put radio on and worked fine. My lad ejected the detachable front panel to see how it worked. He clipped it back on and thought nothing more of it.

We took the van to site the next day (seasonal siting 60 miles from home), and during the setting up of the van we tried the radio (fancied some tunes to drown out the arguments :-) ). No power at all. Everything else was fine and all fuses ok.

After setting up I spent some time trying various things and managed to eventually get it working again by removing the unit from the panel (unplugging & tested power input etc - all fine) and plugged it back in. Worked fine. Had to remove front of radio to get it back in the panel and tried powering up again - dead.

Long story short (too late) - there seemed to be an intermittent fault which made the radio fail to power up sometimes, and work fine sometimes. Tried EVERYTHING. No faults in the van.

Contacted the dealer and eventually they sent me a replacement unit for me to fit myself (too hard to take van in). Fitted it. After powering up twice the replacement had the same problem. Hair (what's left of it) now being pulled out.

Contacted dealer / bailey and they are trying to suggest van wiring issues (intermittent earth fault) which seems plausible - however iv tested all of that (and I know what im doing).

Brought BOTH units home and connected them up directly to a car battery on the bench. Both still have the same intermittent fault. So not van wiring.

Now. After MUCH fiddling around iv identified the "problem"

The radio works fine if you simply click the front off - while the radio is turned on. Clip it back on and it powers up straight away. No problems - all good.

HOWEVER. . . . . .if you turn the radio off first then remove and replace the front then it WILL NOT power back up. You need to disconnect the main power for 10 secs and then reconnect and it works again.

Took ages to figure that one out.

I guess that dropping the battery master switch out for a bit will do the same job, but I then need to re-set the Alde heating clock etc and that's a pain.

Has anyone else had one of these radios in a Bailey, and experienced something similar. VERY annoying, and could really confuse someone.

Cheers

"The government is a body of people usually, notably, ungoverned. . . . . . . . " - Shepherd Book

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty" - Capt Malcolm Renyolds

Have you let Bailey or the dealer know your findings? if so what was their response.

John

Hi John

Only finalised the diagnosis over the weekend so havnt had a chance to get back on to bailey yet (plus im still awaiting a reply from them to a previous message), so I guess it will get too complicated for them to have 2 open messages at once - lol.

I will do so this week and see what transpires.

It sounds daft, but small gripes like this can spoil the magic of a new van a bit.

Im guessing that its a "feature" not a fault. ....

"The government is a body of people usually, notably, ungoverned. . . . . . . . " - Shepherd Book

Hi Rikll,

Yes, be interesting to know what they say, well done on the diagnosis, I will keep it in mind, never know what I could come up against in the future :).

Cheers, John

Hi RikII

Or you could just read the handbook and it says use a small implement to press the small 'reset' button

then you wont have to do anything else. Yes its a known problem, but there is a simpler solution.

Enjoy it

Hi

That's true, you could press the rest button, but according to my "reading of the handbook" which I did at some length, this will reset the radio to factory condition, thus deleting all of your settings and presets etc. Something of a pain. ..

Something that disconnecting the power wont do.

And maybe if the handbook was that fabulous it should mention the known problem. ........

I've got one of these in my Cadiz.

Just too complicated for it's own good, buttons the size of a grain of rice and you have need perfect eyesite to be able to use.

Took the first three trips to get the thing out of 'demo' mode. Back 'in the day' had my £12 Shira Touring manual LW/MW adjustment that was simple to use and broadcast Radio 2 perfectly. ..what more could you want?

Mind you, at the same time also had foot operated water pump and one 12" fluorescent tube. :)

Hi RikII

Or you could just read the handbook and it says use a small implement to press the small 'reset' button

then you wont have to do anything else. Yes its a known problem, but there is a simpler solution.

Enjoy it

Is a sledge hammer considered to be a 'small implement?

CPDavis Fordingbridge

Sledgie works for me :-)

Does anyone actually steal car radios and more? There are much better pickings these days! I leave the front panel on all the time. I still have to change all the settings after reconnecting the battery after disconnecting for winter storage.

Does it need a Firmware update?

http://www. jvc. net/cs/car/firmware/

Maybe you should consult with JVC Support.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

• 2 years later...

Hi All

so glad I found this conversation as I have exactly same issue with JVC DB65 detachable front radio in my second hand caravan swift challenger. Everything perfect when I purchased caravan brought it home & suddenly radio gone dead. Had it on battery power worked perfectly then attached mains power and dead. Thought it was broken and so disappointed as it does take good out of holiday if no radio....will try disconnecting battery to see it that works. I did try reset button but that did nothing for me so fingers crossed in plugging batter will do the trick. Thanks for the advice. Cath

• 1 month later...

Great to read this thread, im looking to upgrade my head unit, ill give JVC a wide birth!