Sign in to follow this  
ValA

Going Abroad - Check Your Ehic Card

I posted on another forum to check the expiry date of your EHIC Card and already people have reported back that their card has expired. Check yours today, and if it needs renewing make sure you do it through the official website: Official Dot Gov website for renewing EHIC Card

• Like 3

I prefer to have the benefit of comprehensive holiday insurance than rely on the EHIC Card as it only provides basic care, and not always free at that.

• Like 1

Everyone really ought to get one anyway, especially as they are free - and if you don't have one your insurers may make a fuss. See here: Do I need an EHIC Card? and read the paragraph which says: But if you don't have a card, then some insurers won't pay for any medical treatment, as the small print of these policies states all travellers must have a valid card.

Edited by ValA
  • Like 2

Everyone really ought to get one anyway, especially as they area free - and if you don't have one your insurers may make a fuss. See here: Do I need an EHIC Card? and read the paragraph which says: But if you don't have a card, then some insurers won't pay for any medical treatment, as the small print of these policies states all travellers must have a valid card.

and I agree with that policy. Why should the insurers pay for treatment which is the responsibility of the EHI scheme? After all, they will only pass the cost on to the premiums. What is the point of the UK being in the European Health Scheme if we don't use it?

• Like 1

I would add, though, that you also need travel insurance, and a policy which costs a few pounds, can save you many thousands of pounds in bills for additional costs, not covered by your EHIC.

I would add, though, that you also need travel insurance, and a policy which costs a few pounds, can save you many thousands of pounds in bills for additional costs, not covered by your EHIC.

Thanks for reminder. Just did it online.

I agree with the insurance thing as a no brainer these days. Be sure to include existing conditions and not take the cheapest quote off a comparison site.

Yes, it will cost more and you may have to do health screening. Its another annual insurance stately dance I am afraid. Each treatment regime (blood pressure tablet etc) can add another risk factor and step up the costs but if you don't declare the existing conditions they will likely refuse to cough up.

This is an issue as they try to move all the over sixties on to Statins to reduce likelihood of cardio-vascular event. You may not be at very high risk but the preventative action pursued by the NHS may see your doctor advising it and consequent travel insurance hike for you.

Be sure to include existing conditions

Yes I agree. From experience I can tell you that should you start a claim, the first thing the insurer will do is to request your permission to access your medical records.

• Like 1

The EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home. Treatment should be provided on the same basis as it would to a resident of that country, either at a reduced cost or, in many cases, for free. For example, in some countries, patients are expected to directly contribute a percentage towards the cost of their state-provided treatment. This is known as a patient co-payment. If you receive treatment under this type of healthcare system, you are expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a patient from that country.

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is also not valid on cruises.

It is therefore important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy in place before you travel. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC, and many will waive the excess if you have one.

Thanks for reminder. Just did it online.

I agree with the insurance thing as a no brainer these days. Be sure to include existing conditions and not take the cheapest quote off a comparison site.

Yes, it will cost more and you may have to do health screening. Its another annual insurance stately dance I am afraid. Each treatment regime (blood pressure tablet etc) can add another risk factor and step up the costs but if you don't declare the existing conditions they will likely refuse to cough up.

This is an issue as they try to move all the over sixties on to Statins to reduce likelihood of cardio-vascular event. You may not be at very high risk but the preventative action pursued by the NHS may see your doctor advising it and consequent travel insurance hike for you.

Would that not be prophylactic rather than therapeutic ?

You have to declare medications, prescribed since your last insurance renewal, and it's almost inevitable that the price of your insurance will go up if extra medication is prescribed - even if it's not actually 'required'. Doctors would argue that prescribing statins is 'therapeutic' where those who don't want to take them would argue that 'they aren't required'.

Phew ! Thanks Val. Ours ran out in April. Just renewed them - we had to re-apply for them though . .....

Thanks again for the reminder.

Edited by Shirl250

We claimed for a doctor's visit and treatment off Red Pennant last year and they told us to claim on our EHIC card and only go back to them if EHIC would not pay. Took nearly six months for the money to come through but they did pay eventually.

Would that not be prophylactic rather than therapeutic ?

I think you meant that for ValA ?

However, my point is that prescriptions now given as pre-emptive treatment can end up being viewed the same as meds given to treat existing conditions, costing you more in travel insurance, even though you may not yet have a fully developed condition.

Someone from another forum posted: Thanks v much. Had not realised that these had an expiry date - just checked and they ran out Sept 2010 and we have been carrying them around on every trip thinking we were covered !

Edited by ValA
  • Like 1

Someone from another forum posted: Thanks v much. Had not realised that these had an expiry date - just checked and they ran out Sept 2010 and we have been carrying them around on every trip thinking we were covered !

Well done. You are a public service broadcaster. :-)

I think I may repeat this post at the start of every camping season. ................... just in case!

We are currently in Austria and have had to use the EHIC card for my Husband, who is currently in hospital in Lienz with pneumonia. All treatment has been free, but we do have to pay E12. 00 per night for hospital accommodation. Hoping he'll be out tomorrow, so 3 nights in hospital will just cost E36. 00, plus any prescription cost for tablets on discharge. It's a wonderful system and one very good reason to remain in the EU!

We have full travel insurance as well, but what a palava if you have to make a claim!

I can highly recommend the EHIC card.

Glen.

• Like 1

So sorry to read that Glen. I do hope he makes a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

So sorry to read that Glen. I do hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Thanks Jenny. Scan today, so hopefully they'll be happy with the progress and allow him out soon. We're currently with a group of Brits on a Boundless (CSMA) rally, so surrounded by lots of help and fortunately I can drive, as the hospital is 23 miles away.

Glen.

We have full travel insurance as well, but what a palava if you have to make a claim!

Make sure you have all the receipts for the things you had to pay for and immediately claim on your return to your private insurer.

My insurer would pay 100% IE no Excess charged as the EUHC had been used.

Make sure you have all the receipts for the things you had to pay for and immediately claim on your return to your private insurer.

My insurer would pay 100% IE no Excess charged as the EUHC had been used.

Thank you. I will bear this in mind. We've not paid anything yet!

Glen.

Mine expires next year. Will we still be allowed to renew them.

Yes I agree. From experience I can tell you that should you start a claim, the first thing the insurer will do is to request your permission to access your medical records.

I wish I could give them permission to access my medical records when I take out a quote, but I suppose it's too much work for them. I'm scared I miss something relevant or misinterpret what I have been told by medical staff. As I get older and continue to fall apart, I suppose I will be updating my insurer more and more :) .

We always travel with the EHIC card for Europe and private cover, which isn't too expensive, although now I have to have USA, Canada and the Caribbean excluded.

Mine expires next year. Will we still be allowed to renew them.

We are still in the EC.

Technically you don't need the EHIC card to benefit.

Clearly it makes things easier but not strictly necessary.

My daughter travelled to Croatia recently and realised her card has been lost. Too short notice for a new one she was given a phone number which would provide the authority for any treatment under reciprocal arrangements.

So don't fret about it