Heater Clicking But No Heat

CraigT

Hi, we have a lunar lexon twin axle FB EW, it as the heater controls down by the floor, 2 round ones, one is for the water heater and the the other the caravan heater, we turn the mains power on them on behind with 2 sockets under the seat, anyway the heater one lights up, it as you probably know as 3 settings, on any one of them it is lit up, when turning the thermostat up you can here a clicking inside the heater like its switching on but no heat comes out of the heater, been like this for a year or so

last week I tried it and it worked, the heater started working, I thought yippee. .. lol anyway while in Yorkshire last week we put the heater on all was fine, worked a treat, and it went off, wouldn't come back on again, I just left the controls on and gave up, middle of the night the heater started working again. .. but went off again. .

Any idea. .. I'm lost. ..

You will get a better response if you give the age of your caravan and, for those that do not know the model, the make/type of heating. I presume that your are trying to run on electric? Does the hot water work and the main heating not work?

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

The repeated clicking could be the spark ignition for gas heating. This is likely to happen if you have selected gas heating but haven't got the gas supply switched on. Are you trying to run it on gas? As Easy T said, tell us which heater you have or a bit of detail so that we can offer advice.

Ern

Quote " The repeated clicking could be the spark ignition for gas heating."

No, it is not as the OP has stated he is using electric.

What is probably happening is that as the thermostat is part of the control switch, depending what is close to it, the space around the back of the switch is getting up to temperature, the fire goes off, the temp then takes much longer to drop than in the main body of the van so does not switch on again until much later.

The answer is to fit a remote thermostat if one is not already fitted.

You can tell if one is fitted by looking at the gas thermostat sensor at the front of the fire behind the front cover, it is the copper tube at the bottom right hand side, and if a remote is fitted it will be attached to that copper tube with a wire running backwards to the fire control box.

Edited by Brecon

Nothing about repeated clicking as such I thought. Just a click as the heating control thermostat is turned up to the oint that it should bring in the heating . .... but nowt happens.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Quote " The repeated clicking could be the spark ignition for gas heating."

No, it is not as the OP has stated he is using electric.

What is probably happening is that as the thermostat is part of the control switch, depending what is close to it, the space around the back of the switch is getting up to temperature, the fire goes off, the temp then takes much longer to drop than in the main body of the van so does not switch on again until much later.

The answer is to fit a remote thermostat if one is not already fitted.

You can tell if one is fitted by looking at the gas thermostat sensor at the front of the fire behind the front cover, it is the copper tube at the bottom right hand side, and if a remote is fitted it will be attached to that copper tube with a wire running backwards to the fire control box.

Thanks for that, yes your right its the electric side of it, hot water is fine, gas fire is fine, its not the ignitor clicking for the gas, it just clicks on and off as you turn the dial up and down near the floor on the power control, I take it the temperature control on the dial is not the thermostat then and this is just a setting and the thermostat is at the bottom of the fire like you suggested ?? have I got that right, I thought that was just the thermostat for the gas, I will have a look and see if anything is blocking it and see if a remote stat is fitted, is there any instructions anywhere how to fit a remote thermostat. . much appreciated. . thanks

If you have a remote sensor, this is what it will look like. The black sensor clipped to the copper one.

I have a Bailey Ranger and have always understood that the temperature sensor is always fitted adjacent to the control unit. Is the remote sensor in the photo an add-on which can be located anywhere in the caravan, length of lead permitting?

Quote " I take it the temperature control on the dial is not the thermostat then and this is just a setting and the thermostat is at the bottom of the fire like you suggested"

No, the thermostat sensor at the bottom of the fire is the gas sensor only.

The electric fire sensor is built into the control switch, you have the settings 500, 1000 and 2000 on the outer ring and a set of numbers 1 to 9 selectable on the inner control, the thermostat is behind that .

Quote "

I have a Bailey Ranger and have always understood that the temperature sensor is always fitted adjacent to the control unit. Is the remote sensor in the photo an add-on which can be located anywhere in the caravan, length of lead permitting?"

Yes the remote is an add on which normally clips to the gas sensor as the lead is only just long enough to reach there.

Here is a description on how to fit: http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/72799-truma-remote-sensor-jack-lead-connection/

Edited by Brecon

I have always understood that the temperature sensor is always fitted adjacent to the control unit. Is the remote sensor in the photo an add-on which can be located anywhere in the caravan, length of lead permitting?

Many caravan builders position the sensor in places which are not ideal. Originally the sensor fitted in my van was in the pelmet above one of the windows. It was impossible to remove so I disconnected it and bought a new remote which I plugged in to the control unit and attached the sensor to the fire.

This is what Gary or Arc Systems wrote on this forum a few years ago:-

So to answer your question. . . the important bit is to make sure when you fit the remote sensor that the back of it stays the same or cooler than the front so it measures and reacts to the living space temperature. Given that Truma are now finally advocating attaching it to the gas temperature sensor I would suggest you do the same.

The gas temperature sensor is a fat copper tube with a very thin tube leading from it and mounted on a bracket in front of the fire at floor level.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I think I may of sort of fixed it, I had a look at the picture how to fit the remote sensor ( thanks ).. and thought ill check before buying mine is the same, ( found one on ebay £20 ).. anyway, managed to take top drawer above fire out, and get my head in behind the fire, my box was in the middle of the back of the fire near the floor, so I thought ok double check it has a jack plug point, so I unscrewed the top as I did my stomach started to get hot. .. lol. I had left the controls on. . DERRR. . anyway I quickly turned it off, on closer inspection of the white box it was full of dust, I blew it all out, cleaned it all and put it back together, fitted everything back and low and behold its been on an hour now and caravans like toast, will check again in an hour or so to make sure, would only stay on for minutes before switching off before. . so it may of been just the dust, a dodgy connection or its having a laugh with me and will need a remote sensor after all, will let you know

thanks for all your help so far. .. great forum. ...

I think I may of sort of fixed it, I had a look at the picture how to fit the remote sensor ( thanks ). . and thought ill check before buying mine is the same, ( found one on ebay £20 ). . anyway, managed to take top drawer above fire out, and get my head in behind the fire, my box was in the middle of the back of the fire near the floor, so I thought ok double check it has a jack plug point, so I unscrewed the top as I did my stomach started to get hot. . . lol. I had left the controls on. . DERRR. . anyway I quickly turned it off, on closer inspection of the white box it was full of dust, I blew it all out, cleaned it all and put it back together, fitted everything back and low and behold its been on an hour now and caravans like toast, will check again in an hour or so to make sure, would only stay on for minutes before switching off before. . so it may of been just the dust, a dodgy connection or its having a laugh with me and will need a remote sensor after all, will let you know

thanks for all your help so far. . . great forum. . . .

FLIP. ... gone off again,,,, what I don't understand is on my dial 1 - 9 when the heater isn't working if I turn it down to 2 or 3 it clicks in the heater its self as if its turned the heater off, if I turn it up again it clicks in the heater again as if its switching on. . but obviously its not coming on but stays cold, youd think if it was clicking on and off its not a thermostat fault, or have I gotthat completely wrong ?

I'll tell you about a fault I had with mine four years ago and you can compare. I switched the fire on and it worked perfectly until it reached the temperature at which I'd set the thermostat, when it went off. Although the caravan became colder and the thermostat switched on again, the fire stayed off. And it wouldn't come on again until all the power was switched off, the hookup turned off, and allowed to stand for a while. When the power was switched on again, the fire worked - until the thermostat clicked it off again. If yours is acting in the same way, it's maybe the two overheat devices in the bottom of the fire.

I'll tell you about a fault I had with mine four years ago and you can compare. I switched the fire on and it worked perfectly until it reached the temperature at which I'd set the thermostat, when it went off. Although the caravan became colder and the thermostat switched on again, the fire stayed off. And it wouldn't come on again until all the power was switched off, the hookup turned off, and allowed to stand for a while. When the power was switched on again, the fire worked - until the thermostat clicked it off again. If yours is acting in the same way, it's maybe the two overheat devices in the bottom of the fire.

thats exactly what mine does

thats exactly what mine does

OK - Here is a picture of them. They look the same but they're not. Since I didn't know which one was faulty, I replaced both. They were only about 12 quid for the pair. But here's the bad news. Most likely the gas fire and the electric part will have to be taken out to reach them. That involves removing the flue/exhaust which needs a new sealing ring when it's replaced and also the gas and electric supply requires disconnecting. Unless you have the equipment to pressure test the system and to test for flue gasses on completion, you are advised to let a fitter do the job.

post-261-0-45490500-1496757365_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

now im even more confused, mine does seem to be switching itself off for no reason, ive left it on all day today and it randomly comes on and off, so i rung the caravan dealers and he said it cant be the over heat sensors as that would need the mains unplugging to reset them and mine comes back on without resetting, ??

i also asked about the remote sensor and he said if the heater relays are clicking on and off bit no heat coming out its not that. ..

Confused dot com. ..

Yes - in view of your last remarks it's not the overheat thermostats.

Where exactly is your sensor for the room thermostat? As I said earlier, mine used to be in the pelmet over the side window. Quite the wrong place because the sensor was still warm when the seating area of the van was becoming chilly. I unplugged the sensor and installed a new one at the base of the fire.

I'll try and find a picture of where the thermostat is plugged in.

Here you go. It goes where the red line is. Find it at the back of the fire and close to the floor. My control box has the cover removed.

post-261-0-52710900-1496780556_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

Yes - in view of your last remarks it's not the overheat thermostats.

lol, oh well, use gas and take a fan heater lol

Quote " the caravan dealers and he said it cant be the over heat sensors as that would need the mains unplugging to reset them"

Your dealer is getting confused with the Ultrastore water heater which, if it trips, does need power turning off to reset.

The Ultraheat does not need power removing to reset.