Coachman Reversing Lamp.

jjohnd

While we like our Amara 380/2 very much, I think that Coachman could have fitted a reversing light. After leaving the dealer with the van in tow, we spent the first night at a CL and in the morning before leaving, we dutifully carried out the pre tow checks. I sat in the car operating the lights and when selecting reverse, the OH informed me that the reversing light was not working. I thought that we had a problem. There was no problem as there was no reversing light! It never occurred to me when buying the van that this would be the case. Pity that after spending quite a few quid on buying the van that Coachman for reasons best known to themselves did not fit one. Any comments please?

How old is your caravan? Has it got the clear glass for reversing lights, or are you saying there is

no provision for a reverse light?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I don't know about current Coachman practice but it used to be commonplace for reversing lights to be an optional extra. The strange thing was that the only item missing was the bulb! Wiring and lamp unit were already in place. That was the case on my (I think) 1992 Bailey, other vans only needed the upmarket lamp units fitting.

Gravon. There is (as far as I know, no provision for one. Will have another look tomorrow to see if there would be room to fit one.

What year is your van? Also you need 13 pin or 12S plugs to get power to the reversing light if fitted. My 2009 van has one clear rear light but in 5 years I have never checked whether this reverse light actually works.

I will next time.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You really shouldn't need a reversing light as it is good practice to always have a "banksman" to watch you reversing. ......Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

How old is your caravan? Has it got the clear glass for reversing lights, or are you saying there is

no provision for a reverse light?

Sorry, I forgot to give the age of the caravan. It was built in 2010

You really shouldn't need a reversing light as it is good practice to always have a "banksman" to watch you reversing. . . .. . .Peter

I would like a reversing light if I needed to reverse back a foot or so in tight traffic situations even if I was not the cause but the vehicle in front needed to move back. And if I was single handed, I would not have a banksman.

Coachman caravans started fitting reverse lights around the same time as your van but if it's not got clear reverse lights included in the tail lights it doesn't have reverse lights.

I replaced my "Caraluna" rear lights on my ViP as they were both cracked and at the time I thought about fitting the ones with reverse lights included but the extra work involved with wiring to the rear lights wasn't worth the hassle.

I do however have a small beeper which I had in the workshop and have fitted this on the underside of the van. It is wired into my reverse light wiring and acts as a audible warning when I'm reversing on a site.

On the very few occasions where I am reversing on a road I have my hazard warning lights on and ensure there is no traffic behind me by using my mirrors. The beeper I have is just loud enough to be heard within the local area of the caravan, not like the ones used on commercial vehicles when reversing.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do however have a small beeper which I had in the workshop and have fitted this on the underside of the van. It is wired into my reverse light wiring and acts as a audible warning when I'm reversing on a site.

On the very few occasions where I am reversing on a road I have my hazard warning lights on and ensure there is no traffic behind me by using my mirrors. The beeper I have is just loud enough to be heard within the local area of the caravan, not like the ones used on commercial vehicles when reversing.

If you check the 'Construction and Use' regs for trailers you will find that your warning buzzer is 'illegal'. Only HGV's and other very large vehicles are allowed to have a reversing buzzer. Oh and 'don't shoot the messenger', it makes no sense to me either.

BTW, our 2017 Vision has a reversing light, after 30 years Caravaning it is the first van we have ever had that has one.

Coachman Vision 575 2017, BMW X3 3. 5

Why is it on this forum there's always someone wanting to quote regulations etc.

It never seems to happen on any other forums I'm on.

I could go on but quite frankly I don't have the time to care or worry about construction & Use regs.

BTW 90 % of my reversing is not on the public highway but on sites with possibly children running around. Do you think they would see a reverse light.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake.