Dometic Additional Fan

milkymarsh

Just wondering how easy it is to connect up and fit the dometic secondary fan to help with airflow on the large dometic fridges.

I've found a website that has the fans circa half the price of the Bailey parts website, but was wondering how easy it is to fit. Is it a simple plus and play or does it require separate circuitry?

I've tried contacting dometic, but they have just ignored my email, and when phoning them, they didn't want to know.

Any advice appreciated

Try CAK Tanks, I bought one but haven't fitted it yet, I've always found them helpful, not been hot enough!! Think it has a thermos sensor & & on/off switch.

http://www. caktanks. co. uk/

In previous caravans I've twice fitted (or had fitted) the "vento" version of the fridge fan, imagine it would be very similar to the Dometic model?

First time I had an electrician friend connect it up for me, I ran the wiring to suit and he just connected it up to the 12v wires from the leisure battery. Second time I did it myself, it was really quite easy. Hardest part is getting the wires to go where you want them without being unsightly. The only thing I had in both instances to what was other wise the complete kit was some extra wiring and an inline fuse and fuse holder.

Rob

Milkymarsh, would you like to share the website of your secondary fan supplier with us. :Thankyou:

Barney.
BAILEY UNICORN BARCELONA
behind a KIA SORENTO 2. 5 CRDi XS

We used to take the CHILDREN. ........now we take the GRAND-CHILDREN

I fitted two fans to my van's fridge similar to these. All the work was done through the top vent. I used a piece of aluminium sheet and cut two holes to match the diameter of the fans and mounted them side by side on the sheet which was screwed to the aperture surround. On/off control was achieved through a household thermostat from Wickes. To avoid the fans operating at night, I added a switch to the front facia of the fridge. The 12volt supply was picked up from a nearby 12volt lighting wire.

post-261-0-59907500-1496659936_thumb.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We also have the issue of the fridge not cooling properly in hot weather. Reading other threads on this forum the general consensus seems to be to fit two fans which are thermostatically controlled by the top vent to draw the air out rather than fit fans at the bottom vent. Jaydug good idea and it looks neat, but not many of us have access to tools to cut an aluminium sheet that is if you can lay your hands on a piece small enough instead of having to buy a big sheet. :)

that is if you can lay your hands on a piece small enough instead of having to buy a big sheet. :)

Not as difficult as you might think. Ebay for just £4. 25. . ;)

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Not as difficult as you might think. Ebay for just £4. 25. . ;)

Thanks for the link however how would one go about cutting the holes?

We also have the issue of the fridge not cooling properly in hot weather. Reading other threads on this forum the general consensus seems to be to fit two fans which are thermostatically controlled by the top vent to draw the air out rather than fit fans at the bottom vent. Jaydug good idea and it looks neat, but not many of us have access to tools to cut an aluminium sheet that is if you can lay your hands on a piece small enough instead of having to buy a big sheet. :)

I have done something very similar, but instead of ally sheet, I used 2 strips of aluminium from Wickes range of extrusions, to fix 2 ultra quiet computer fans along top and bottom. Ebay has loads of neat 12v thermostatic control units - you just tie -wrap the sensor to the fridge rear cooling pipes where Thetford show for their fan unit!. I too fitted an isolation switch, in case the fans proved noisy at night, but not really necessary if you buy good fans (biggest that will fit) and not cheapos.

The control unit is the best way to go as you can set up and lower limits of temperature for its operation. I'll try to upload a pic later if anyone wants it. .

I've installed two of THESE, controlled by one of THESE. Between them, the fans are more powerful than the one supplied with the Dometic kit and they are quiet enough to run overnight. I simply used light-weight cable ties to secure the fans to the inside of fridge vent on the side of the 'van.

I would add that some of the thermostatic control units have a very specific voltage requirement of 12 v. In a caravan with a charger this is often exceeded. In my case I also included a 12 v regulator in the circuit and placed the temperature sensor in the bottom vent to sense the incoming ambient air. Fans are 4 x 50 mm I had from a scrap computer. Fridge working fine in 30 + degrees in Croatia.

John

Edited by John19

I installed the Dometic kit. Its a two fan unit which is screwed into place behind the upper vent outlet. The wiring is supplied attached to the control box and is really easy to connect. It is a two stage thermostat which switches 1 or 2 of the fans on at required temperatures. We used the caravan with this last summer in France and the fridge worked well. Installation requires a small amount of skill and a screwdriver.

Ern

Milkymarsh, would you like to share the website of your secondary fan supplier with us. :Thankyou:

Bailey parts link is here

https://www. bailey-parts. co. uk/product/1040665

I've just ordered mine through here:

http://www. thedometiccentre. co. uk/dometic-fridge-ventilator-kit. html

I've gone with the genuine kit, as the instructions on the dometic website says it's straight forward

I have done something very similar, but instead of ally sheet, I used 2 strips of aluminium from Wickes range of extrusions, to fix 2 ultra quiet computer fans along top and bottom. Ebay has loads of neat 12v thermostatic control units - you just tie -wrap the sensor to the fridge rear cooling pipes where Thetford show for their fan unit!. I too fitted an isolation switch, in case the fans proved noisy at night, but not really necessary if you buy good fans (biggest that will fit) and not cheapos.

The control unit is the best way to go as you can set up and lower limits of temperature for its operation. I'll try to upload a pic later if anyone wants it. .

I did something similar, I got the 2 fans ready mounted on a plastic frame which fitted behind the top vent without too much bother. Maplins, a bit like these but bigger. http://www. maplin. co. uk/p/pc-drive-bay-cooler-with-three-40mm-fans-uy81c

For the controller I used one of these,

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/50-110-C-W1209-Digital-thermostat-Temperature-Control-Switch-DC-12V-Sensor-XG-/122411324996?hash=item1c80489644:g:qpgAAOSwImRYEdRW

Cheap as chips but works very well. I picked up a power supply in the fuse box.

Does not come on at all in normal weather, bit when it gets hot it regulates accurately which can be monitored with the digital readout. But normally the controller is in a small plastic box on top of the fridge out of site.

I did think about fitting an isolater switch to use at night, but does not come on often as it cools and, though it can be heard, does not bother us.

Total cost about £15

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I would add that some of the thermostatic control units have a very specific voltage requirement of 12 v. In a caravan with a charger this is often exceeded. In my case I also included a 12 v regulator in the circuit and placed the temperature sensor in the bottom vent to sense the incoming ambient air. Fans are 4 x 50 mm I had from a scrap computer. Fridge working fine in 30 + degrees in Croatia.

John

If possible its better to use the largest fan diameter that will fit. The larger diameter can turn at a slower speed to move a given volume of air, and will therefore be quieter. Look for super silent fans, not just the cheapest:

https://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/product/B00KF7R49S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...

Just pondering how waterproof the fans need to be, for heavy rain or enthusiastic washing.

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

Just pondering how waterproof the fans need to be, for heavy rain or enthusiastic washing.

I don't think you need to worry about rain, if the fans get wet through the grille the chances are the back of the fridge will have a water ingress problem as well. Just be less enthusiastic when washing.

John

The fan sits about a foot up behind the fridge away from any vents

The fan sits about a foot up behind the fridge away from any vents

Don't understand that unless it's because it's the tall fridge.

Mine fit immediately behind the top vent blowing out to increase the air flow. I dare say the get splashed a little, but it's not developed into a problem.

I believe that some have fitted them below the workings to push air through and over. No idea what might be best, for me it was the easiest way to do it.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Hello

I have a Dometic "ventilator kit" - see here. I don't think it does a lot of good.

I also have two fans fitted to the top vent - this seem to help more - see here. As it stands, I have both "systems" in place but the fridge still got up to 15C in Italy recently! for safety of food, we have a small counter top fridge now in the motorhome boot.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hello

I have a Dometic "ventilator kit" - see here. I don't think it does a lot of good.

I also have two fans fitted to the top vent - this seem to help more - see here. As it stands, I have both "systems" in place but the fridge still got up to 15C in Italy recently! for safety of food, we have a small counter top fridge now in the motorhome boot.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Russ

Had mine on test in all the hot weather over the past few days. Temperatures here reached up to 34 degrees. With the fridge on max, in the morning it was at 4 degrees and by the end of the day it had risen to 10-11 degrees. Despite all the heat, the fan hadn't cut in. It leads me to think that the thermal switch is set too high (from what I can research it is 70 degrees). I've just ordered a 12v thermal switch that cuts in at 50 degrees at the grand cost of £4.

Should arrive here this weekend and will report back once it's fitted and working.

The Dometic fan kicks in at 32C.

My twin fans are on a thermostat and also a simple on/off.

I will say that operating the fridge on gas is a lot better.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

The Dometic fan kicks in at 32C.

My twin fans are on a thermostat and also a simple on/off.

I will say that operating the fridge on gas is a lot better.

Russ

Mine definitely doesn't do that! I had to get the hot setting on the wife's hairdryer for it to kick in.

Interestingly, checked today the temp at the end of the day and it's at a normal 4 degrees, so clearly down to ambient temp and airflow to keep the temperatures regulated

It's supposed to have a thermostat thing with it.

Russ