Cruise Control While Towing?

BradleyWiggins

Is it a good idea to use cruise control while towing? What is the effect on fuel economy?

I have never used it while towing but was wondering today as the the new tug has a much more usable system than the old one.

formerly ClassikFan

I use CC when towing dependant on traffic conditions. No idea whether good or bad nor the effect on fuel.

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I use CC when towing dependant on traffic conditions. No idea whether good or bad nor the effect on fuel.

+1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Verona + 2013 Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto

+1

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Is it a good idea to use cruise control while towing? What is the effect on fuel economy?

I have never used it while towing but was wondering today as the the new tug has a much more usable system than the old one.

I also use cc when I can.

Edited by PaulR

i too use cruise whenever I can, even when towing - when I first had a car with cruise my "tests" vshowed that fuel consumption was marginally better with cruise - but within the the range of error so not definitive.

The one time I don't use cruise is on undulating/hilly roads - fuel consumption is better by allowing the speed to drop a little, 2-3 mph, on the uphill and using gravity to regain speed downhill.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Hi BW, my previous car had CC and used it while towing (conditions apply) worked really well on the French motorways, just needed to tap the speed down when going down some hills as they have a 90 km limit if towing a caravan.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I use Cruise when towing, when road and traffic conditions allow.

Not sure on overall economy but after cancelling then re-engaging, I usually accelerate gently back up to speed by foot first.

If I select 'resume' it appears that the car thinks it needs to get back up to speed rapidly the effect similar to flooring the loud pedal.

Accelerating circa 5 tonnes so hard each time can't be good for economy.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

+1

Range Rover Sport 3. 0TDV6 HSE towing a Sterling Elite 560!

I use Cruise when towing, when road and traffic conditions allow.

Not sure on overall economy but after cancelling then re-engaging, I usually accelerate gently back up to speed by foot first.

If I select 'resume' it appears that the car thinks it needs to get back up to speed rapidly the effect similar to flooring the loud pedal.

Accelerating circa 5 tonnes so hard each time can't be good for economy.

That's a good point - my Hyundai accelerated very briskly when cruise was re-engaged but my VW is more leisurely.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Always us CC towing or not. On one reasonably shortish journey 50ish miles, I did not use it out of courosity and according to the onboard stats I managed very slightly better economy. Diffrence being on foot I tended to be less vigorous than the CC. But overall I let the CC get on with I find long runs less taxing as a result as I am not overly happy towing. As I have said in a previous post I will chuck a 58 foot articulated unit around no issues, put a caravan on the car that's a whole different ball game. Getting happier as the miles go past 😊

Steve

Steve

RR & BC

+1.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

i too use cruise whenever I can, even when towing - when I first had a car with cruise my "tests" vshowed that fuel consumption was marginally better with cruise - but within the the range of error so not definitive.

The one time I don't use cruise is on undulating/hilly roads - fuel consumption is better by allowing the speed to drop a little, 2-3 mph, on the uphill and using gravity to regain speed downhill.

This is what a US study found (I've lost the link)

Sam :beardy:

+1

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

We only used cc once on a 230 miles stretch of peage in France. There were a few hills where John would have eased off on the accelerator and obviously cc didn't which resulted in an increase in fuel consumption of 5 miles per gallon. The other thing was, when overtaken by a lorry going down a slight hill, we got a bit of a wiggle which we have never had before. Again John would have eased up a bit seeing the big lorry about to go by at speed.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

i use it all the time both solo and towing, i have given up worrying about fuel consumption.

My car also has the speed limiter which is also very useful especially through the 50mph average zones on road works etc.

Edited by tom_1989

I have cruise control and a speed limiter on the Merc, I tend to use the speed limiter solo and towing as I don't have to keep an eye on the speedo, and the limiter holds the car back on downhill sections.

I just keep pressure on the pedal and if I need an instant burst of speed it has a kick down facility just like CC.

I also use CC when towing or solo . It is adaptive CC so speeds up to limit I set or slows down to what's in front. Don't have any problems going uphill or downhill or when passed by trucks or usually coaches. I have just driven to North Wales from home, a distance of 230 miles, and my Volvo has averaged 26 mpg which is fine considering it is a 2 ton + car and 1550kgs van. It is also automatic gearbox. I really don't think that a modern auto is much different to a manual when towing for fuel usage, using CC .

I have an L200 Barbarian automatic. We did 6300 miles in February/March this year down to Andalucia and the Algarve and back, 4,500 miles of that was towing our Swift Conqueror 530 caravan.

I used cruise control on the long flat stretches of motorway/payage and self select for the hilly bits.

BH

CC is fine for solo or towing. I use it a lot. The V70 has auto/Geartronic box so on undulating roads where the auto box wants to change gear, I sometimes nock it into Geartronic which holds the gear ratio.

Ern

I've been using cruise control for nearly 30 years having installed it on a Sierra in 1988. The speed sensor was fitted close to the prop shaft around which four magnets were attached. In 1990 I transferred the kit to a new Citroen BX-TZD, where the speed sensor was installed alongside the o/s drive-shaft. By 1998 more sophisticated kits were available so I had Conrad Anderson fit a kit to my new Xantia. By 2005 cruise control was fitted as standard on all my new cars.

My experience has shown me that fuel consumption is less when using cruise however after braking, to immediately 'resume' from the low speed, that will give a higher consumption. Better to increase speed gradually back to cruising. Also on an incline a turbo driven diesel will probably reach the crest without a gear change but with a frightful increase in fuel consumption. Switch on your instant readout and see the consumption figure drop to single figures. Far better to change gear early and keep the engine at around 2000rpm.

The best fuel consumption that I've ever recorded when towing is 36mpg. And that was when I travelled for a 100 miles or so on an icy Spanish motorway in 4th and 5th gear, cruising at 47mph.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Another +1 for CC solo or towing, depending on conditions of course. Combined with an auto box it makes life so much easier.

I also use CC whenever reasonable . .. generally for motorways and big dual carriageways, but never on minor roads.

It's very difficult to compare mpg as CC isn't being used for the whole journey, but my feeling is that it doesn't make much difference.

Wasn't there a recent thread on this following a motorway crash where CC wouldn't disengage?

John